PDA

View Full Version : OT : Another History Channel travesty -- JAWS ??

Capt._Tenneal
02-27-2006, 08:24 AM
I was flipping through channels yesterday and happened upon the History Channel, our favorite whipping post, showing the original JAWS (1975). Uhhh, what http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ? What does this have to do with History (other than the mention of the USS Indianapolis by Quint) ?

They're already showing programs on UFOs and Nostradamus, Hot Rods and disguised infomercials for Brothers In Arms (the PC Game) now they're turning into AMC !

TX-Gunslinger
02-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Nothing. Considering however the average American attention span and level of interest in true history it actually surprises me that the History channel has'nt gone bankrupt.

If you consider that the most popular programs on TV are "Dancing with the Stars", "American Idol", "Desparate Housewives", etc.. etc.. etc.. , they can almost be forgiven.

It seems our society has very little interest in any subject matter which is too far away from beer, sex and sports.

S~

georgeo76
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
I guess they ran out of shows on the Bermuda triangle; figured Jaws was close enough.

Try History International Channel, they do better work. The Science Channel is pretty good too.

arcadeace
02-27-2006, 09:42 AM
They just had a good one on Lockie (Lock Ness Monster) and you can't prove its not true. It was international too.

Chuck_Older
02-27-2006, 09:46 AM
They showed Jaws as a history of bad fashion. Check the wardrobes...anyone for houndstooth sportjackets? Anyone?http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

carguy_
02-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Things are turning around now.When I had one Discovery Channel it was interesting cuz all kinds of stuff shown there.

Now DTravel and Dscience have gone to the dogs.Egypt,UFO,Dragons,food and human anatomy running all day.

DChannel introduced WWII in color recently.Color fotages of your everyday nazi citizen living his fruitful life in 3rd Reich before `39 and during war.Very interesting!Normal ppl,vehicles and the surrounding world shown in color changes everything.Hitler`s generals gathering,great nazi gatherings,celebrations and German folk life.

The color reminds us that this happened not so long ago.That it all actually happened and inally that world wasn`t just black-white back then.

Oh and if you want to check if you`re a WWII nut you can watch DCivilisation and see if it bores you.Me?That channel runs WWII and blitzkrieg half of the whole day program and I still don`t mind.Sometimes I see footages I never even seen before.

The WWII in color program used materials from TVSpiegel and Vox.Now those are channels running nazi hitory stuff over and over again.They`re literally stuffing today`s Germans with those programs.Too bad I don`t know German.They display & comment fotages much more interesting than those shown on Discovery.

arcadeace
02-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Color does make it easier to relate. I was watching some footage last week somewhere in the Pacific WWII, maybe Iwo Jima, and it was in such good condition it looked like something from the '70s. There has been a lot of recent programming in these past few years, good stuff, I've seen more than once and will continue to enjoy. Like every channel there's ****, but still plenty to keep me interested.

MystiqBlackCat
02-27-2006, 10:42 AM
The history channel seems pretty hit or miss for me as far as their programming goes. They really don't have much of an excuse since it has been around for a while.

I watch the Military channel alot, good stuff on their. Mostly old Discovery channel programs from the late 80s early 90s but still interesting to watch. And all of their original programming is actually quite good. Same goes for the Science channel for me.

I think the problem there is that they haven't been on air long enough to develop series and a broad base of programming. Good stuff on occasion though.

Jaws2002
02-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I bribed them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Capt._Tenneal
02-27-2006, 12:34 PM
OK, OK Jaws I'll give you this just once. Please stop and don't let them show the sequel where Roy Scheider's wife goes Rambo on Mrs. Jaws or god forbid, the Michael Caine version. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

slo_1_2_3
02-27-2006, 03:06 PM
i think it was something about the making of it and what they did but still kinda not history channelish i dont know but they could played something else like um the modern marvels show about the screw and to top it off the next episode coulda been about the screw driver yea thats right im not jokin i seen it on there

Doug_Thompson
02-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Benchley, the author of Jaws, died very recently. I'm sure that's the "historical" tie-in.

According to the TV listings, the film was followed by a special on the 1916 attacks of a great white on a New Jersey resort beach.

There was a book about those attacks, as I recall. Those attacks were the inspiration for Jaws.

R_Target
02-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Military Channel still shows Wings over the World (FW-190 was on the other night). That is, when they're not showing 1337 special ops night infiltration or M1 tanks. History International has some good BBC docs. Regular History Channel continues to sink.

Capt._Tenneal
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I just discovered History Int'l myself. When do they show the miltary stuff ? I tune in during the day and it's mostly cultural documentaries, but night has some good military shows like "Battle".

R_Target
02-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Sometimes HI will run a whole night (I think it's usually Sundays) of Military History documentaries, mostly a mixed-bag of WWII, Napoleonic Wars, and Roman Wars. There's a cool British series called Spitfire Ace where pilots compete for the chance to be the final one to get full combat training for the Spit. Lots of BoB footage interspersed with the candidates flying solo and two seat trainer Spitfires.

Another carry-over from the old Discovery Wings (Military CHannel now) is Wings of the Red Star, with Peter Ustinov as the narrator.