PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR 3 And LCD's

woofiedog
12-23-2004, 02:22 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I was reading that the TrackIR 3 can now be used with a LCD.
Is anyone using TrackIR 3 with a LCD... and how is the performance with the LCD over the CRT? Was it a worth while investment after you have used it for a while?
What didn't you like about TrackIR 3?
And in the product ad it states that you get better frame rate? Is that true?
Here is what it said.
MY GAME ONLY RUNS AT 60FPS, SO WHY DO I NEED 120FPS?
An increased TrackIRÔ"×ó frame rate creates more sample points, delivering smoother and more precise motion independent of your game's refresh rate. It ensures that both the quickest and most subtle head movements are perfectly tracked.
It allows the TrackIRÔ"×ó to stay ahead of the game.

jeroen-79
12-23-2004, 02:28 AM
The 120 fps is not for the game but for the TrackIR.
It senses your position 120 times per second, the game won't draw 120 frames per second.

Why couldn't you use it with a LCD?

woofiedog
12-23-2004, 02:45 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Thank's for the info jeroen-79.
I was looking into one of the earlier Track Units... and on the Product Page it stated that it was for use with CRT only. And I have a LCD not a CRT.
I just noticed when I was looking tonite that you can use TrackIR 3 for both... also the 3D Glasses are now made for CRT and LCD.
So later after all the holiday and etc... maybe I'll take a closer look.
But I wanted to ask to see if anyone was using IL-2 with TrackIR 3 and a LCD.
Also to see if they were having any problems or were having a Great time with these products.
Testing the Water before you jump in.
Again Thank's

25th_Orwell-84
12-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Natural point is drawing a distinction between FPS in a game and FPS as a sampling frequency in their product. Because the term "frames per second" is used, people automatically accociate the product related concept to the gameing one.

If track IR runs at 60 frames per second, and you move your head quickly, the device only reads your movement 60 times in one second. The software is effectivly guessing where your head will be milisecond to milisecond between image captures.

The delay between captures manifests itself in slightly visible stutters. this can be annoying (VERY annoying.)Interestingly, it has been proven to cause motion sickness in some people. As the computer calculation is minutly "off" of the brains perceived reality.

So by increasing the capture rate to 120, the software "guesses" less. It is capturing more "actual's" and connecting them together.

And to the best of my knowledge the TIR3 always supported LCD screens. Why wouldn't it? The only thing new is a "clip" you can get to rest the TIR3 on as opposed to having to lay it on a CRT monitor.

25th_Orwell-84
12-23-2004, 02:59 AM
okau for you're second question:

I'm using TIR3 on a CRT (it's the same thing as using it on LCD). IT's amazing. you're SA is 1000000000% better. Well, sometimes i lose people in the Frickin canopy hinges and seals. But it's sweet to beable to look where you want to look.

Just don't get frustrated when you're setting it up. TIR takes a little getting used to and the profile must be customized for yourpersonal preferance.

Vacillator
12-23-2004, 04:31 AM
Don't know about the TIR3 but I've been using a TIR2 and an LCD for about a year now and it's great, no problems at all.

woofiedog
12-23-2004, 06:41 AM
Thank's for all the info 25th_Orwell-84 and Vacillator... it's allways better to hear about a product from someone who is using it.
Do any of you use the 3D Glasses as well?
From others who use TrackIR... they also say it's a good product... but that it works best with a CRT.
Other than the adjustment to it... have you had any problems?
Again Thank's for the info and corrections. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

slarsson
12-23-2004, 10:56 AM
I have TIR3PRO and a Samsung 21.3" LCD.
It's a treat

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I got TIRv1 when it first came out. I mounted it to my LCD with velcro and didn't have any problems. I've since gotten TIR3Pro and the thing that makes it LCD compatible is simply the supplied bracket that more easily facilitates the mounting of the device to a Flat Panel display.

It's an input device only that manipulates the cursor based on input received from the IR reader. Whether you use a CRT or LCD should have NO bearing on its compatibility.

TB