PDA

View Full Version : Any News of BATTLE OF BRITAIN at E3?

Buzzsaw-
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Salute

Wondering if there were any previews of Oleg's BoB at E3? Anyone see anything?

Buzzsaw-
05-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Salute

Wondering if there were any previews of Oleg's BoB at E3? Anyone see anything?

VW-IceFire
05-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Don't count on it. I expect to hear something by the end of the year maybe...

stansdds
05-21-2005, 07:31 PM
There have been no updates in a long time, either security is insanely tight or there are problems. Now let's see that comment stir up rumors! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Covino
05-21-2005, 09:08 PM
They'll at least wait for Shockwave's BoBII to be out the door before releasing any info.

heywooood
05-21-2005, 11:44 PM
right - 1c will want to wait and see BoBII before they show their hand...they will want to see where the Rowan product is strong and where it is weak so it can be properly exploited with a minimum reveal from Maddox.

greek_fire19
05-22-2005, 06:23 AM
I don't think it will be that hard to top rowan's effort. From what iv seen of screenshots the ground textures are uglier than targetwares, and I can't imagine the flight model will match oleg's standards.

ytareh
05-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Well its only a reworking of BOB1 in the same way that PF/FB is a descendant of IL2.BOB1 was brutal unless your into that whole squadron commander thing.

Asgeir_Strips
05-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Well the GFX arent as good as Olegs going to be.

But i fear that the gameplay will be much much better (offline)

Since the AI uses the same FM as you do, its a plus.. (i think they do that in PF also)

But the great thing is that the AI in BoB: WoV CANT see through clouds, and that's almost worth the game alone.. Then you can finally talk about how you hid in the clouds, and used the sun for "cover" when you dove (spelling) down on the enemy formations with guns blazing

Wolf-Strike
05-22-2005, 07:10 AM
I have a feeling that Oleg has decided to give us the new FM in 4.0 since he is scared that Rowans BOB2 will take a percentage of his fanbase.SimHQ has said that they were relly suprised with BOB2 from what they seen at E3
http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_052b.html

Platypus_1.JaVA
05-22-2005, 01:30 PM
I dunno about Rowan's new sim but, I bet that old Russian fox, Oleg, has a few tricks up his sleeve. He probably will play Rowan's BoB2 and see what he likes and what not.

I somehow know that Oleg will have a good answer to Rowan's product.

Troll2k
05-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Shockwave's BoBII is not multiplayer.

For me that is strike one,two,and three.

Akwar
05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Troll2k:
Shockwave's BoBII is not multiplayer.

For me that is strike one,two,and three. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your loss. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Bull_dog_
05-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Oleg has kept his fanbase intact through releases and I suspect there will be more patches...espcecially if BoBII is any good.

Multiplay is a no go and as far as I know there is no mission builder so that sim will likely have a very short an limited lifespan...unless...here is the wildcard...the folks who like CFSIII convert for the challenge of new modelling opportunities and MB and MP are added at a later date.

The thing that die hard FB players don't realize unless they've played CFS2 for awhile, is those 3rd party add ons really kick in after a year or so and can become quite addicting...BoB2 is open architecture. Bad for online, but an offliners dream come true. I play CFS2 for years and would still be playing it except I grew weary of CFS2 AI and when I realized the complexity of the FM of FB, I never went back...multiplay I discovered later and added to the experience.

No, Oleg could lose some offliners...but I think his release of patches and aircraft virtually guarentee most of his fanbase will be intact for his version of BoB...unless he quits supporting FB/AEP/PF too early and I doubt that. I expect to see patches up to about 6 mos prior to release of BoB...anything more than that and boredom will set in for some and they will buy the other.

Akwar
05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I dont understand why some of you out there think the bread and butter of a game/sim is multiplayer because it just isnt so.Tons of classic sims out there cater to a SP experience.
Falcon 4.0,EAW,BOB,TAW,EF2000,EECH and on and on and most these games still have a SP huge fan base and are quite popular.Fact is offline play is where its at.I got turned off by online play.Its full of inmature children and mindless madness.

Equilizer
05-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Why do you care if people like multiplayer more than single player, and for the most part really don't care about single player?

It's their opinion, I'm sure they are entitled to have it and enjoy what they like.

You like single player, other people like multiplayer, why bother trying to change what they enjoy?

lbhskier37
05-25-2005, 03:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Akwar:
I dont understand why some of you out there think the bread and butter of a game/sim is multiplayer because it just isnt so.Tons of classic sims out there cater to a SP experience.
Falcon 4.0,EAW,BOB,TAW,EF2000,EECH and on and on and most these games still have a SP huge fan base and are quite popular.Fact is offline play is where its at.I got turned off by online play.Its full of inmature children and mindless madness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The future of gaming in general is online whether people realize it or not. Any game with no online component today is going to have a seriously limited lifespan. If you got turned off by immaturity online, you need to find the right people to fly with. IMHO there is no way some computer voices and crappy AI will ever be able to match the immersion of flying in formation with real people covering bombers piloted by real people from the enemy fighters piloted by real people. No predictable AI, no silent wingmen, no random "we're under attack" from some unknown aircraft. BoB II might have some cute graphics and a nice dynamic campaign, but if I can't talk my wingman through a drag-n-bag it is not the game for me.

Akwar
05-25-2005, 03:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Equilizer:
Why do you care if people like multiplayer more than single player, and for the most part really don't care about single player?

It's their opinion, I'm sure they are entitled to have it and enjoy what they like.

You like single player, other people like multiplayer, why bother trying to change what they enjoy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont care what others like,

Just sick of hearing MP players whining about no MP is all,doesnt mean the game will sink.Until MP provides a COOP campaign Im really not interested.Flying one mission is just downright boring.Be nice to see an online campaign with rank/award system but the only thing that comes close to that is maybe WWIIOL and that game has no realism at all in the aircraft department.

trumper
05-26-2005, 06:39 AM
Theres room for both games,i just hope that the newer version of Rowans B o B is better than the original,i found the flight modelling too twitchy ,graphics,mmmmm and unreliable.
Be nice to hear some proper reviews and see some real ingame tracks/footage .
I fly online with a squad in f/b but would be happy playing offline defending "my" backyard for once.

TacticalYak3
05-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Just for the sake of a friendly discussion about online gaming, I certainly agree that it is here to stay. I think one needs to be careful in discussing online play and AI.

It seems for many popular titles AI has been suffering (i.e., less challeging/realistic) while developers focus their development on graphics. While on the surface certain games might be able to survive with human-only participants opposed to bots, I suggest certainly not in all gaming genres or even for the long-term.

Take IL-2, online play is wonderful but don't forget not everyone online is only interested in DF servers. Single COOP missions, online campaigns and virtual wars require good AI for all moving vehicles/planes.

Even in First Person Shooters, while one may think a game like CoD with human players only means no need for AI, I would suggest an alternative market even for this game would be to include intelligent bots to provide COOP experience, which is exactly what the Battlefield series provides (in addition to CONQUEST mode - human only).

Online gaming does not necessarily mean human-only players, but most (all?) gaming have AI (bot) requirements/opportunities that will hopefully not only continue but be improved. I personally would hate to think we will only play "prettier" games in the future and not great simulations and strategy games.

TactS!