PDA

View Full Version : google.com/maps for BoB

Viking-S
08-14-2005, 06:03 AM
!

Low_Flyer_MkII
08-14-2005, 06:40 AM
I think you've raised an interesting point. It could be done, but at such a cost of time and human effort, it's not practical. The problem is with satteilte images (as we've touched on before) we're going to have motorways, shopping centres, yachting marinas etc to contend with. I remember with Rowan's original BoB, little touches like the White Horse landmark near Warmwell airfield and a semblance of a torpedo factory and railway on the coast immediately to the southwest of Weymouth seafront. I recall thinking that it was nice somebody made the effort (the sheep were a nice touch, too), but I'm afraid this level of geographical immersion won't satisfy today's spoilt gamers/simmers. I'm not overly fussed about it, as long as we don't get trees along Chesil Beach a la Microsoft autogen.

Can anybody remember Aces of the Pacific? Your sea was blue, your land was green and you had a few piers and cranes to let you know you were flying over harbours - didn't spoil my enjoyment, but I guess we've all moved on...