PDA

View Full Version : Better sounds, such as Spitfire

Vulch_Me
12-03-2004, 02:16 PM
As an ardent Spit fine I'm thoroughly happy with everything apart from the sound, which as most Spit fans know, is music to our ears. I've just checked out a couple of models for FS2004. There we have the opposite problem, great sound, lousy models.
QUESTIONL Does someone know where I can get good Spit sounds for FB+AEP+PF...and any other machines for that matter. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Vulch_Me
12-03-2004, 02:17 PM
um..sorry...Spit FAn..not Spit "fine" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

DD_NL
12-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Just type in: WWII Aircraft Sounds in Google and you get tons of stuff, for instance;

http://warbirdsofww2.tripod.com/downloads.htm

Yes, the sound(s) in this game sucks compared to other WWI Flight Sims. It's the only real weak part of this game. Not much you can do about it. (You cant add you own aircraft sounds to the game, if thats what you are meaning. The game uses a sound-engine to generate the sounds, instead of using pre-set .wav or .mp3 files like other games).

Vulch_Me
12-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks, mate...what I suspected. Just wondered if anyone had come up with anything brilliant to combat this. Appreciate the reply http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

VW-IceFire
12-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Oleg had this to say about how the sounds work in this game (and why it won't sound exactly like a Spitfire):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
For these who think it is easy to change and just open you these files... No guy... we use GENERATOR OF SOUNDS. its not the files with sound files for each aircraft....

The I will try to tell you one story: On my Firnd from Germany, that come to me in Moscow and visited me at home... I was running for him latest version of AEp (for that moment) and he had at home the previous...

Firs his impression what "did you change the sound". I sai "No". He ask then "why I have differen to your sounds" The answer was to look for the settings and speakers type.

Most user speakeds doesn't play the sounds that we generate... For think need to be better sound speakers at least.
The sistem that he was looking at my home was Inspire 5.1 (which is absolutely bad in my opinion) with the right settings of sound everywhere.

When I show him how it sounds across my other hi-end equipment.... He never asked me again to change the sound and simply bought better than Inspire 5.1.

For BoB we will have more complex generator of engine sounds. However it will be still not user adjustable, becasue it isn't simple wave files.

Also name me please any other sound engine that emulate the physics, say for propeller sounding together with the engine sound (which is many different sounds summ at once and which changes with the directions and distances!)... I know no one at the moment.... except these that put one wawe for all cases (of one engine) and change say the pitch for doppler effect only.

If to go by this way of using professionall recorded sounds ... and use the sound complexety that we have for the current moment - then we will need just for the sound more RAM than we use for the whole game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oleg says it all. This was posted fairly recently at SimHQ I think...

diomedes33
12-04-2004, 12:30 AM
I have my computer sound running through a home stereo rather than those pathetic computer speakers that you get when you buy it.

Its not a high end system by any means, but it does sound loads better than the computer speakers. Bass boost will do wonders for the engine sounds.

trumper
12-04-2004, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Oleg had this to say about how the sounds work in this game (and why it won't sound exactly like a Spitfire):

For these who think it is easy to change and just open you these files... No guy... we use GENERATOR OF SOUNDS. its not the files with sound files for each aircraft....

The I will try to tell you one story: On my Firnd from Germany, that come to me in Moscow and visited me at home... I was running for him latest version of AEp (for that moment) and he had at home the previous...

Firs his impression what "did you change the sound". I sai "No". He ask then "why I have differen to your sounds" The answer was to look for the settings and speakers type.

Most user speakeds doesn't play the sounds that we generate... For think need to be better sound speakers at least.
The sistem that he was looking at my home was Inspire 5.1 (which is absolutely bad in my opinion) with the right settings of sound everywhere.

When I show him how it sounds across my other hi-end equipment.... He never asked me again to change the sound and simply bought better than Inspire 5.1.

For BoB we will have more complex generator of engine sounds. However it will be still not user adjustable, becasue it isn't simple wave files.

Also name me please any other sound engine that emulate the physics, say for propeller sounding together with the engine sound (which is many different sounds summ at once and which changes with the directions and distances!)... I know no one at the moment.... except these that put one wawe for all cases (of one engine) and change say the pitch for doppler effect only.

If to go by this way of using professionall recorded sounds ... and use the sound complexety that we have for the current moment - then we will need just for the sound more RAM than we use for the whole game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oleg says it all. This was posted fairly recently at SimHQ I think... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg may say it but if you see the il2 films that use other sound files with the correct engine noises i for one would prefer to have that option of realitic sounds although maybe not 100% graphically matched than continue with these poor engine sounds.
Your imagination can work wonders if they hear the correct engine sounds,after all you don't need to see a Spitfire to recognise the sound of a Merlin,just close your eyes and dream. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

triggerhappyfin
12-05-2004, 10:06 AM
On my system the sounds are good atleast on lower revs on engines..on SBD gunner position I actually hear the prop. The bass boost moves wifes Ô┬┤porcelain around in the cupboard and make the walls shake vibrating the pics on the wallshttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

But when reving up the engines sound isÔ┬┤nt that good anymore http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Sound generator or not ... isÔ┬┤nt it more a question about wave forms and frequensies of sounds, mergin different sounds together as the propsound + engine + supercharger. These sounds are the sounds we hear when aircraft pass us in RL. Is it impossible to achieve or does it just mean a lot of work? Would it take too much of computer power to get working?

Abbuzze
12-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Yes we need better sounds!
Like this one:

rightclick mouse>save as:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/p123/zip/flyby.mp3

What plane is it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

watteville
12-05-2004, 03:01 PM
It is absolutely right that the sound is the next thing to fix in this game, people all over the world ride Harleys because they sound better than Hondas. People are attracted to cool engine sounds.

Here are my suggestions:

first add aerodynamic noises: anyone who has flown an aicraft will tell you that most of the noise comes from air being ripped appart by an airframe; the sound should increase in volume and pitch as speed increase, a 600 kph prop fighter should make more noise than a jet EVEN WITH THE ENGINE SHUT DOWN, also each time something changes on the wing the noise should change too (slats, flaps gear...)

Willey
12-05-2004, 04:32 PM
I think the sounds itself are quite good, and also the technique that renders them. The poor part is the little variance. There are little to no differences for many planes. That's the point. As for the 109 for example, the sounds are quite good IMHO, we just need more of that supercharger whistle, especially at higher revs, then it's almost perfect. But then, the 190 shouldn't have the same sound just without whistle. I also just got an FPS 1600 (predecessor of Inspire 4.1), but it's bass is quite a lot already and it sounds 1000x better than though my Plantronics Audio 90 headset or other speakers.

Willey
12-05-2004, 04:35 PM
What I also really like about the sound: Enter a dogfight server with AIs and then take a B-29, Pe-8 or something similar. 4 big engines. Full volume. And then SLOWLY push the throttle forward. That rocks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .
And this shows the engine is capable of more than we have now. It has to be more complex to render more different sounds. Not just better sounds.

sithgod
12-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Overall I like the sounds. Especially when landing and the others are banking overhead. But I miss the Merlin. I never heard a 109, 190 but Merlins I heard. To not have it with the Spitfire, P-51 is a big shame. The Spit, Hurricane, P-51 are all great planes visually but that Merlin adds something extra to them.

VW-IceFire
12-05-2004, 08:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trumper:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

Oleg says it all. This was posted fairly recently at SimHQ I think... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oleg may say it but if you see the il2 films that use other sound files with the correct engine noises i for one would prefer to have that option of realitic sounds although maybe not 100% graphically matched than continue with these poor engine sounds.
Your imagination can work wonders if they hear the correct engine sounds,after all you don't need to see a Spitfire to recognise the sound of a Merlin,just close your eyes and dream. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've done sound dubbing over video. Its "easier" to dub over a preset sequence of events than do deal with something that is dynamic and can happen in a multitude of ways. Thats more complicated.

I'm all for having the Merlin sound like a real one...but there's a certain appeal of having the sounds physically right too. I'm torn and understand both sides.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Oleg stats already why it would be difficult yet so man still ask. He said it will take more RAM than the game already uses. Talk about bad play if that was the case.