PDA

View Full Version : New to the game

Saber123316
03-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Well hello all you guys, I am new to the flight sim and love it. problem is i play this game with a http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Key board http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif well thats what i think all of you would re act now what would you say a good joy stick for my pc would be? i was looking at this Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick or this Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

I would prefer the first one as it is a higher end model and on sale for the same price as the low end one.

what would you suggest

BSS_CUDA
03-26-2005, 11:09 PM
dont buy logitech, they dont last at all, have a great feel but are junk otherwise, I went through 3 of them in just a little over 5 months

FlatSpinMan
03-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Lots of people here have posted bad things about Logitech. that's why i bought a Saitek Cyborg. It was only about US$38 I think. I got it six months ago and it has seen heavy use but generally seems okay. It has heaps of buttons, a twist stick for rudder plus a throttle slider. i have noticed it is a little looser now than it was but the software recalibrates it well enough for my purposes.

Skycat_2
03-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Joystick is better than keyboard, no two ways about it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't know either of the sticks you're looking at. I'll just name some features I think are important:

1. Throttle slider -- throttle is an important control in maneuvers and dogfights, and its good to have a control right at your thumb.
2. 8-way HAT switch -- fairly standard on most sticks now. Located at the top of your stick, this control allows you to 'look around' using your thumb.
3. Additional action buttons -- don't just settle for a pistol trigger; you can find uses for additional action buttons. My stick has a total of eight and I use two located on the base for flaps and the other two on the base to increase and decease cockpit views in increments. The remaining buttons control weapons.
4. Z-Axis 'twist stick' rudder control -- if you don't have separate rudder pedals, this is a very important feature. Basically, you slightly twist the stick to the right to the left to control rudder inputs. Very uselful for controlling takeoffs, aerial maneuvers, and strafing accuracy. Z-Axis feature usually increases the price by a few bucks however.

In addition, you might consider sticks with Force Feedback. This feature typically doubles or triples the price of a stick over a similar model without Feedback.

-HH-Quazi
03-26-2005, 11:25 PM
If $$$ isn't an issue, get a Saitek X-45. Great stick. The Cyborg is decent also.

AlGroover
03-27-2005, 02:30 AM
I had a Logitech 3D Pro. Looks great, feels great, x-axis potentiometer packed up after 3 months. Now got a Cyborg Evo. It's a bit light so really needs a steel plate built into the base like the Logitech. A couple of strips of gaffer tape fixed that. I use the throttle lever bound to elevator trim and mousewheel bound to power; hope that makes sense. Works well for me.

ImpStarDuece
03-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Do yourself a favour and get yourself a good joystick if you want to get any real enjoyment from the game.

If you have a stack of dosh and are serious about getting into flight sims (or this game 'turns you to the dark side') take a look at CH products. Their sticks are just about the best ever made. Solid, reliable as a rock, with an excellent feel and great precision.

I actually managed to borrow a mates set up for a few months last year and was REALLY impressed with them. I currently run a Micro$oft Sidewinder Precision 2, which I think is about the best thing Micro$oft ever made. It has a throttle slider, 8 way hat switch and 8 other buttons. It's good but I still have to use a lot of keyboard buttons to get the most out of the game.

Minor problem with CH is the price; top of the line sticks retail for about $149 US, the throttle for about $120 and the rudder pedals for about $149. So its a 400 US investment minimum. You can get better deals online though and those are for their top models. If your more casual they have starter sticks that retail at about $70 and then they go up from there.

I really wish that CH did a twist stick instead of only rudder pedals. This would knock about 1/3 of the price off a CH setup and I would be a very happy man then.

The other good option in a Saitek X-45 or X-52 set up. These are number two in my book. I dont like the 'sci-fi' look of them but a lot of people on the boards here think they are he best bang for you buck sticks on the market. I think a Saitek set up will be my next move after I have finished thrashing my M$ stick to death. You can find some pretty good deals for Saitek stuff online.

Foxtrot-Hotel
03-27-2005, 06:16 AM
Please, don't buy a logitec stick, as said before, they are waste after 2-3 month, and not worth their money...a good average stick is the saitek Cyborg, the old or the new, both are verry well, and if money is not a problem, I would say a x-52 is the weapon of choice, because he has a twist stick, the x-45 is very well too, but the ruder controls are seperated(no twist stick) , which many people don't like...
hands of logitec sticks!

NorrisMcWhirter
03-27-2005, 08:32 AM
In defence of Logitech, mine lasted 12 months before it went "loose". I know someone else who has one, too, and that's been alright for 18 months now...although it doesn't get quite so much use as mine.

Ta,
Norris

SeaNorris
03-27-2005, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
If $$$ isn't an issue, get a Saitek X-45. Great stick. The Cyborg is decent also. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given me 2 Years hassle free service.

Bearcat99
03-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Saber check this (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) out. The X45 is a great stick.... at $39 reconditioned it cant be beat.

Jaco_Erdwurm
03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
I use Saitek X-45 with good settings it really helps,Microsft stopped making sidewinders but if you can get one they are great to

g0strydr
03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
get an x45.. their kinda cheap now that the new one came out anyways..

sapper78
03-28-2005, 08:16 AM
I had a Microsoft sidewinder precision 2, and it worked fine for 1,5 years, untill i spilled some beer on it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif