PDA

View Full Version : Bf-109 with auto trim?

Wildnoob
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Was reading Skip Holm's site (http://www.skipholm.com/willy-messerschmitt.htm) and found this

Engineering features, such as leading edge slats, slotted flaps, hydraulic speed brakes, hydro-electric auto cooling, trimable stabilator, longitudianal auto-trim with flap extension.

What does this longitudianal auto-trim meant in practice?

Kettenhunde
04-20-2010, 10:25 AM
What does this longitudianal auto-trim meant in practic

When you extend the flaps the auto-trim automatically trims the aircraft to the same condition of flight.

It helps with the hand shuffle that goes on when you are landing, changing aircraft configuration, and constantly having to re-trim.

It is feature that reduces the pilots workload.

na85
04-20-2010, 11:13 AM
When you extend the flaps the auto-trim automatically trims the aircraft to the same condition of flight.

How is that accomplished? Is it just a "dumb" device that alters the trim by a specified amount whenever the flaps come out, or is it something more akin to a gyro that continuously adjusts trim on the fly based on factors X Y and Z?

Romanator21
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Since there are only four flap positions, it only needs to be a "dumb" device with certain presets. This is still way ahead of its time I would say, and the amount of automation on German aircraft is astounding: Prop-pitch, mixture, supercharger, radiator flaps, and even trim on landing. All the pilot had to do was fly.

mortoma
04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Kettenhunde:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What does this longitudianal auto-trim meant in practic

It helps with the hand shuffle that goes on when you are landing, changing aircraft configuration, and constantly having to re-trim.

It is feature that reduces the pilots workload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But is that modeled in IL2??

Wildnoob
04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kettenhunde:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What does this longitudianal auto-trim meant in practic

It is feature that reduces the pilots workload. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But is that modeled in IL2?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess not. Hope we gonna have this feature in SoW.

JtD
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Have you guys ever looked at the left side of a 109 cockpit? You can see two wheels there, one for flaps, the other for elevator trim. You can operate them individually, or together.

Not sure if that's the "auto" trim, though.

AndyJWest
04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm also not sure what this is referring to:

hydraulic speed brakes

Kettenhunde
04-20-2010, 09:30 PM
How is that accomplished?

I am not sure. I can ask a friend who owns a Bf-109.

I would think that as you cranked down the flaps, it turned the trim wheel some too.