PDA

View Full Version : What HOTAS options do I need to become a successful dogfighter???

Charlie901
03-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Should I map my prop pitch to something, for instance?

I'm really having a tough time getting back into this sim w/ the A.I. aces, they always seem to be able to climb with me, even when I have a stronger plane.

What tricks do you all use to help w/ dogfighting the A.I. and online?

Thanks!

Charlie901
03-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Should I map my prop pitch to something, for instance?

I'm really having a tough time getting back into this sim w/ the A.I. aces, they always seem to be able to climb with me, even when I have a stronger plane.

What tricks do you all use to help w/ dogfighting the A.I. and online?

Thanks!

Bearcat99
03-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Practice..... Settings will help bi=ut IMO practice is the key. Lots of it. I still have nights where I dont survive one mission... if the AI doesn't get me the flak does.

Your sig looks real familiar to me. I am thinking Frugal's... but.. yeah man.. practice.

What kind of stick do you have? I have a modified X-45...
http://star.walagata.com/thumbs/bearcat_X-45mod.jpg (http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/X-45mod.jpg)

and I also use a MSFFB2... so I have more sliders than most... I have prop pitch on the throttle slider of my MSFFB2, flaps,elevator,rudder & aileron trim on the X-45... The flaps are on the large pot on the left side of the throttle but they also mapped to the rocker switch on the X-45... rudder trim is the black knob on the base... elevator trim is the thumb rotary and aileron trim is the index rotary. I mainly use ailewron trim for level flight or to try to compensate for wing damage... rudder trim I use constantly... elevator trim I use in turns. Prop pitch I use to get to cruising speed mostly or to cool my engine. I don't do dogfight servers much because
I get turned off by the Ahistorical matchups... but they can be fun.

I would say that more than any HOTAS settings... knowing your plane and having the proper convergence settings, and understanding the theory of deflection shooting are more important. You will be surprised at how much just flying in a particular plane will help... no fighting just flying.... and seeing what you can get away with in it.

Charlie901
03-31-2007, 08:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Practice..... Settings will help bi=ut IMO practice is the key. Lots of it. I still have nights where I dont survive one mission... if the AI doesn't get me the flak does.

Your sig looks real familiar to me. I am thinking Frugal's... but.. yeah man.. practice.

What kind of stick do you have? I have a modified X-45...
http://star.walagata.com/thumbs/bearcat_X-45mod.jpg (http://star.walagata.com/w/bearcat/X-45mod.jpg)

and I also use a MSFFB2... so I have more sliders than most... I have prop pitch on the throttle slider of my MSFFB2, flaps,elevator,rudder & aileron trim on the X-45... The flaps are on the large pot on the left side of the throttle but they also mapped to the rocker switch on the X-45... rudder trim is the black knob on the base... elevator trim is the thumb rotary and aileron trim is the index rotary. I mainly use ailewron trim for level flight or to try to compensate for wing damage... rudder trim I use constantly... elevator trim I use in turns. Prop pitch I use to get to cruising speed mostly or to cool my engine. I don't do dogfight servers much because
I get turned off by the Ahistorical matchups... but they can be fun.

I would say that more than any HOTAS settings... knowing your plane and having the proper convergence settings, and understanding the theory of deflection shooting are more important. You will be surprised at how much just flying in a particular plane will help... no fighting just flying.... and seeing what you can get away with in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great thanks for the tips!

B.T.W.

My sig is from "Frugal's" as I'm an old F4.0 junkie.

The fallen officer was an avid flight simmer and frequented the Frugal boards before his unfortunate death at the hands of a real %^$#!