PDA

View Full Version : A.I questions

Newflyer
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I have a few questions. I know that A.I planes don't suffer from engine overheat. (frustrating when having a jet fight and you have to keep lowering engine power while they don't)

Do A.I planes suffer from flutter effect or G force? I have seen A.I planes dive 1000M at top speed and not have their plane ripped apart. However another time I saw a plane heading downward for a long time and then randomly split apart so i'm unsure.

Are the AI affected by weather? I was flying in a giant rainstorm on one of my campaign missions and my plane was shaking like crazy when I flew below the clouds and in the storm, yet the AI seemed to be unaffected.

Bearcat99
08-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Newflyer:
I have a few questions. I know that A.I planes don't suffer from engine overheat. (frustrating when having a jet fight and you have to keep lowering engine power while they don't)

Do A.I planes suffer from flutter effect or G force? I have seen A.I planes dive 1000M at top speed and not have their plane ripped apart. However another time I saw a plane heading downward for a long time and then randomly split apart so i'm unsure.

Are the AI affected by weather? I was flying in a giant rainstorm on one of my campaign missions and my plane was shaking like crazy when I flew below the clouds and in the storm, yet the AI seemed to be unaffected.

I don't think they do.. because I have followed AI planes into dives.. and wound up blacking out .. to the point where when I come to they are on my 6.. and from my limited knowledge .. if I am following a plane in a dive.. he should be at least as blacked out as I am and certainly not be able to pull enough additional Gs to get on my 6 to the point where I have to do evasives as soon as I come out of my black out.. and I have yet to see an undamaged plane break up from G stress.. but i think that I read somewhere that they do under 4.10.1 .. but I have yet to see it.

AI can see through clouds.. (this is supposed to be fixed in 4.11... finally..) and as far as I know they suffer from engine damage when hit.. but they manage their engines better than we do so it isn't that they do not suffer engine damage.. they don't suffer from flawed engine management..

Luno13
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
If AI suffer from G forces, it's because the "routines" were the same from before G limits were made to be more complex. As far as I can tell, the AI don't really suffer from black out. The AI currently manage the engine perfectly, and don't ever truly stall.

According to 4.10 patch video, rookie AI can be blown off a course, but I doubt you're going to see buffeting of their planes.

TipsyTed
08-31-2011, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Newflyer:
(frustrating when having a jet fight and you have to keep lowering engine power while they don't)

Keep in mind that if you keep your speed above roughly 700kph, you'll never overheat even at full throttle (in a jet that is).

As for the g effects (and consequently blackouts, structural integrity etc...) - it was one of the primary reasons I abandoned offline play and sticked to online. AI was able to pull such ridiculous maneouvers that it wasn't even funny anymore - no chances a human could follow anything remotely like that without blacking out (or tearing own plane appart). AI also isn't affected by VNE (they don't fall apart at speeds where they should). Simply try diving away from a La-7 in an Anton to make sure. This all might have changed in recent versions of the game tho, I'm not sure.

Yeah, AI cheats a lot... a kind of compensation for their predictability I guess.

K_Freddie
09-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Never had a problem with the AI.. it's pretty low IQ, even on ACE.
You must just fly and think like a computer.. and you'll win.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DKoor
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by K_Freddie:
Never had a problem with the AI.. it's pretty low IQ, even on ACE.
You must just fly and think like a computer.. and you'll win.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif +1 on all accounts.

However that also sadly means that flying historically wont get you the same effectiveness as if you "game the game" i.e. exploit AI limitations.
Notorious example of it is turn and burn tactic which is deadly effective regardless of your AI oppo.