PDA

View Full Version : Guns, ammo, and the common cold.

Newflyer
11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm trying to stop a bad habit I have developed, and that is firing away my cannons and machine guns at the same time. It runs my ammo dry fast, and half the time my plane shakes so much when I fire all my guns I can't aim properly. That brings me to my question. Whats better at long/short range, My Cannon or machine guns? I find my Cannon goes farther and does way more damage but I tend to have less cannon ammo then machine gun ammo.
Should I use my machine guns for short range combat and use my cannon for longer range, or just save my cannon for bombers and other heavy armored foes?

Another question, do A.I planes run out of ammo? They never seem to.. I guess their just a lot more careful with their ammo then I am >.>

VW-IceFire
11-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Yes the AI does run out of ammo...they get the same amount as you do http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Depends on the aircraft. Most of the time I am on full guns. I tend to close to a very short distance and fire in bursts only. Long sustained shooting just worsens the aim situation. If you didn't hit and kill in the first second to two seconds of firing...stop and readjust for the next burst.

Cannons are superior both at range and in close. Most early WWII aircraft started out with all machine guns and then added cannons later. The cannons were less reliable so machine guns persisted but aside from reliability and perhaps firing duration.. light machine guns are largely useless.

On a plane like a Spitfire or maybe a 109 I will use the machine guns to get a general bead on target followed extremely quick thereafter with full guns. But that's usually if I have some luxury of time to get the sighting right and then open up.

Most of the time it's short bursts of full guns. With the Yak series is maybe the only time I don't always use full guns. The Berezin 12.7mm is almost as good as the 20mm.