PDA

View Full Version : Flashing smoke/dust

ladlon
03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Ugh, I never thought I'd be posting questions about graphics performance/glitches (...I know they're annoying). Sorry, but here goes:

1) I'm noticing that the dust/smoke that billows out when the planes in front of me on the runways tends to suddenly flash black (they are normally off-white) for a frame. Is that normal. If not, any ideas what might be causing that? All other smoke/effects are looking excellent with no issues.

2) The sim occassionally pauses for a half second (...CPU overload?). Normally runs very nicely (ATI9700 card on P4 3gHz XPPro), but I get the occasional 'snag' (1/2 second pause). Anything in particular I might try to fix that? I'm not running at a really high res, but I do have the graphics settings maxed. Still, it DOES run fine, other than occassional pauses. If I were to turn down/off one setting, which would be best to do? (Or, is there a techy setting that my card may have that I should switch on/off to improve things?)

Thanks, and again, sorry for this over-posted topic. I will now sit in a corner for a while...

ladlon
03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Ugh, I never thought I'd be posting questions about graphics performance/glitches (...I know they're annoying). Sorry, but here goes:

1) I'm noticing that the dust/smoke that billows out when the planes in front of me on the runways tends to suddenly flash black (they are normally off-white) for a frame. Is that normal. If not, any ideas what might be causing that? All other smoke/effects are looking excellent with no issues.

2) The sim occassionally pauses for a half second (...CPU overload?). Normally runs very nicely (ATI9700 card on P4 3gHz XPPro), but I get the occasional 'snag' (1/2 second pause). Anything in particular I might try to fix that? I'm not running at a really high res, but I do have the graphics settings maxed. Still, it DOES run fine, other than occassional pauses. If I were to turn down/off one setting, which would be best to do? (Or, is there a techy setting that my card may have that I should switch on/off to improve things?)

Thanks, and again, sorry for this over-posted topic. I will now sit in a corner for a while...

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow Ladon! Looks like we have the same machine. I also have a ATI Radeon 9500Pro/9700; P4 3.07ghz; with 1 gig of ram.

I don't get the same flash black like you said in 1). My first thought is to update your Catalyst Drivers. I just went to the 6.2's the other day. I also restored my pc from a Ghost image I made over a year ago, and things run very smooth again.

The 2) 1/2 sec pause does happen to me sometimes. Maybe once every 10-20 minutes. Sometimes more than others. Haven't tried it with the new 6.2 Catalyst drivers yet.

ivankuturkokoff
03-10-2006, 01:46 PM
This is not an ATI issue it ocurrs with NVIDIA cards as well. Ic head graphics developer is aware of this issue.

ladlon
03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
The black smoke flash thing seems to have started when I got FB/AEP after getting PF a few weeks or so earlier and merged them. Could be wrong, but I don't recall this issue when I just had PF.

Not a showstopper... but mildly annoying, so I was just checking to see if it was a simple fix (wrong setting, etc). I'm patched up to 4.04 (or whater the latest one is). No other weirdness... In fact, I have no idea why, but the water is suddenly looking astounding! It looked pretty cool before, but suddenly now (it SEEMS) it's looking jawdroppingly good.

Okay, well as long as they know about it, that's cool...

The pauses happen (sometimes) much more frequently to me. I'm sure it's some memory thing... Maybe it's loading up a new section of landscape or something... Not sure how they do that, so I can't really tell.... but I'm sure it's some CPU strain moment.

heywooood
03-11-2006, 08:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivankuturkokoff:
This is not an ATI issue it ocurrs with NVIDIA cards as well. Ic head graphics developer is aware of this issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is?.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

MagnumHK
03-11-2006, 05:23 PM
I noticed the same thing lately. I changed my Effects=1 to Effects=2 in my config file and think this was the cause for me anyway. This could have something to do with the recent patch since I don't remember the last time I went to external view when taking off.

Earlier post somewhere mentioned the advantage of doing this and it does seem better but there is an FPS penalty when things get explosive.

ladlon
03-12-2006, 02:42 PM
I think you see it in the internal view too...

Ya, not sure if it's a result of the new patch, or me merging FB/AEP with PF... or a combo of both, or what...

I suspect it may have something to do with the merging... I'm convinced my water looks a lot better now after the merge.... No complaints about that!

FritzGryphon
03-12-2006, 03:18 PM
I have a 6800GS, and see it sometimes, now that I use effects=2.

Very fleeting grey flickers in smoke, like ground-bullet hit smoke. I don't know if it's the same thing as you have.

For me, goes away in effects=1.

Nimits
03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't believe Effects=2 is officially supported a the moment.

vocatx
03-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Hmm, I get the same effect using Effects=0. Maybe it's related more to video configuration? I fly "Perfect" mode, ATI Cat 6.3 drivers. Maybe the new .dll files have now made it possible to see this effect on lower settings? I've seen it for quite a while on my machine.

ladlon
03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
On my system, you'll see the (normally white) dust/smoke coming from a plane in front of you (while everyone is firing up their engines and taking off) turn black/dark grey for a half second... at pretty much regular intervals (every few seconds).

I only see it when I have a few planes in front of me, starting up their engines and taking off... It's that big white cloud that slowly travels towards you (...a bit of a CPU strainer, so maybe that's part of it).