PDA

View Full Version : Earth flooded?

El_Sjietah
06-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Started on my 4th runthrough of AC2 today when I noticed this screen in the warehouse.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Sjietah/AC2earth.png

Looks like a lot of the landmass is missing. Make of it what you will.

Also notice the numbers in the background. Might be a code or might be nothing, but so far I haven't been able to decode it.

EmperorxZurg
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
maybe it's a projection of what the Templars have controlled? They have all that controlled and we have the rest of the landmass or something like that... just a thought

NightmareGK13
06-06-2010, 01:42 PM
i don't see any landmass missing
what i see are some lettering covering part of the U.S.
the rest looks about the same
the white tones just blurs a bit

Xanatos2007
06-06-2010, 01:51 PM
At least half a dozen. At least 2 appear to reside on landmasses that no longer exist.
Warren Vidic to his superiors, Assassin's Creed 1

Global warming, maybe?

El_Sjietah
06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by NightmareGK13:
i don't see any landmass missing
what i see are some lettering covering part of the U.S.
the rest looks about the same
the white tones just blurs a bit

I figured that part about the US as well and the blurring explains why the edges are not what they're supposed to be, but when you look at Australia, Asia or western Africa, there are giant lakes there that don't exist atm.

phil.llllll
06-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At least half a dozen. At least 2 appear to reside on landmasses that no longer exist.
Warren Vidic to his superiors, Assassin's Creed 1

Global warming, maybe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps. It would definitely go along with the all the destruction mentioned from Earth's first crisis (and theories today about long forgotten sunken landmasses).

As for the screen, it's really too small to tell. Could just be washing out of detail from simulating a glowing screen or such.

Fairus60
06-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Is it my imagination or Mexico is gone!?

El_Sjietah
06-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Fairus60:

It is. Same goes for Indonesia and Japan.

TJByrum2
06-06-2010, 04:36 PM
What the map is showing isn't the fact that the world is flooded (which I am not saying it IS), but rather that the light surrounding the DARKENED countries simply is illuminating over the countries to the point where it shines OVER the landmass, so you can't see it.

However, it is known that refugees are heading from the US to Mexico, a disease has wiped out the entire populace of Africa, and a few other things. (You can find more by reading emails in AC1, or AC2.

UchihaKarasu
06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Japan and New Zealand are gone!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Fairus60
06-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fairus60:

It is. Same goes for Indonesia and Japan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> where the **** am I going to live in 2012 then!? TJ, hope you are right, but indeed I remember reading that in AC1

caswallawn_2k7
06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
where the **** am I going to live in 2012 then!?
a boat?

Xanatos2007
06-06-2010, 05:06 PM
At least you'd get a nice sea breeze and fresh fish every morning.

El_Sjietah
06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by TJByrum2:
What the map is showing isn't the fact that the world is flooded (which I am not saying it IS), but rather that the light surrounding the DARKENED countries simply is illuminating over the countries to the point where it shines OVER the landmass, so you can't see it.

That doesn't explain the giant lakes though.

SWJS
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
It is. Same goes for Indonesia and Japan.
Looks like a bit of Europe, particularly France, is missing too. Much of the US is also missing. Looks like it's as far up as North Dakota.

El_Sjietah
06-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I think most of what seems to be missing from the US is just a continuation from the numbers in the top left corner. Florida does seem to be gone though.

PlagueDoctor357
06-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Vidic says that on the first game.

When they record the map Altair has.

As in, those pieces of eden are lost because those land masses dropped into the ocean since 1192.

Marius_Darkwolf
06-06-2010, 07:56 PM
it could be a coverage map. Remember that Abstergo is planning on launching a Sat to dominate the world. What if what is currently whited out is the areas that Abstergo currently has coverage over, and the final Satillite that they're launching will complete the 'umbrella"

Fairus60
06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">where the **** am I going to live in 2012 then!?
a boat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
jajaja yeah I could use a trajinera, but I wonder if that would help against the solar flare ? humm...

N3V30
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by El_Sjietah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fairus60:

It is. Same goes for Indonesia and Japan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The map is too small to tell clearly if they are still there, I can barely make out the UK on that map.

Also the polar ice caps are still there so where has the water that has flooded parts of the world come from?

Giant lakes...Look more like dots to me (Lucy said they have teams around the world) but if sea levels did rise the giant lakes wouldn't form as the coastlines would be the first things to be flooded.

SWJS
06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
help against the solar flare
The solar flare itself wont actually hurt us. We had one just like it back in the 90s.

If it's big enough, the worst it could do is knock out power around the world, but it wont actually affect US.

PlagueDoctor357
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I know i've only been posting to "correct" things lately but.

If you think a total magnetic pole reversal won't directly affect us, I don't know what will!

El_Sjietah
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by N3V30:

Giant lakes...Look more like dots to me (Lucy said they have teams around the world) but if sea levels did rise the giant lakes wouldn't form as the coastlines would be the first things to be flooded.

Watch it in game, they're deffinately not dots. It's not clear enough on a picture this small. Dunno why photobucket decided to resize it.

I agree on the rest though.

SWJS
06-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:

If you think a total magnetic pole reversal won't directly affect us, I don't know what will! I wasn't referring to the geomagnetic reversal, I was referring to the solar flare. We have solar flares every day. The solar flare wont affect us.

And scientists have also been looking into geomagnetic reversal. It's happened before, that much they know. Also, the magnetic poles will flip, not the actual physical poles. The Earth isn't gonna dramatically flip. At worst, your compass will point south instead of north. So yeah. Neither of them probably wont affect us that much.

By the way, El_Sjietah, have you tried looking at the map screen in first person by clicking the right stick? You could probably get a better look at it that way.

El_Sjietah
06-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:

By the way, El_Sjietah, have you tried looking at the map screen in first person by clicking the right stick? You could probably get a better look at it that way.

I tried, but for some reason 1st person cam doesn't work in the warehouse. Could be just my game acting weird though, so feel free to try it out yourself.

opisamra
06-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:

If you think a total magnetic pole reversal won't directly affect us, I don't know what will! I wasn't referring to the geomagnetic reversal, I was referring to the solar flare. We have solar flares every day. The solar flare wont affect us.

And scientists have also been looking into geomagnetic reversal. It's happened before, that much they know. Also, the magnetic poles will flip, not the actual physical poles. The Earth isn't gonna dramatically flip. At worst, your compass will point south instead of north. So yeah. Neither of them probably wont affect us that much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not 100% sure about this because i'm not a scientist but this is what I can deduce from the game and my own limited knowledge. The Earth is protected from solar radiation because of the Magnetic Field around the Earth. Without it, life would not exist because every time a Solar Flare would pass by, we'd get deadly doses of radiation.

Now about the poles. I think that if they reverse, they'll reverse gradually. It's not like you're going to go to sleep one night with the compass needle pointing in one direction and wake up to find it pointing in the other the next morning. I think that the poles will gradually change over a period of a couple of months leaving the Earth vulnerable to a flare.

goldenarm009
06-08-2010, 06:20 AM
I wasn't referring to the geomagnetic reversal, I was referring to the solar flare. We have solar flares every day. The solar flare wont affect us.

lol what game are you playing? Minerva tells us directly that most of the earth population was wiped out because of a solar flare. It's not speculation or conjecture, it is a fact.

Abeonis
06-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by goldenarm009:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wasn't referring to the geomagnetic reversal, I was referring to the solar flare. We have solar flares every day. The solar flare wont affect us.

lol what game are you playing? Minerva tells us directly that most of the earth population was wiped out because of a solar flare. It's not speculation or conjecture, it is a fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, people need to realise that whilst this is only a game, and there maybe be factual inconsistencies (such as the idea of genetic memories), whatever the developers decide is canon. So if they say a solar flare is gonna roast the planet, that is what's going to happen.

Originally posted by EzioTheAsassin:
And scientists have also been looking into geomagnetic reversal. It's happened before, that much they know. Also, the magnetic poles will flip, not the actual physical poles. The Earth isn't gonna dramatically flip. At worst, your compass will point south instead of north. So yeah. Neither of them probably wont affect us that much.

You are aware that upwards of 80% of electrical technologies rely on magneticism, or the fact that a compass points north in order to operate? That's planes, naval vessels (including submarines), GPS and a host of more technologies... a flip of the earth's magnetic poles will have quite an affect on us I think you'll find.

lilbacchant
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by opisamra:
I'm not 100% sure about this because i'm not a scientist but this is what I can deduce from the game and my own limited knowledge. The Earth is protected from solar radiation because of the Magnetic Field around the Earth. Without it, life would not exist because every time a Solar Flare would pass by, we'd get deadly doses of radiation.

Now about the poles. I think that if they reverse, they'll reverse gradually. It's not like you're going to go to sleep one night with the compass needle pointing in one direction and wake up to find it pointing in the other the next morning. I think that the poles will gradually change over a period of a couple of months leaving the Earth vulnerable to a flare.

That's my general understanding as well, except that it wouldn't take months, it'd take years, decades, or even more. That is, it'd be a process. Many scientists think the EMF is in the process of flipping right now based upon various degradations in the EMF around the globe, particularly in the Antarctic/southern Atlantic/S. America region.

And for those who think the EMF is nothing more than a compass direction, there literally would be no life on earth w/out it. The EMF not only acts as a shield against solar radiation and other radiation from space, it acts as an internal barrier keeping our atmosphere intact. It's believed Mars once had an active core, EMF and atmosphere, but lost the EMF, and subsequently its atmosphere, due to the core dying; and, thus, it turned into the red dust ball it is today.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all solar flares are created equal, just as not all earthly storms are -- compare typical rain shower w/ a Cat. 5 hurricane. The sun seems to go thru cycles of peak solar flare activity and severity, not unlike the El Nina cycle in the south pacific. And unlike solar radiation in general, solar flares are directional so most don't impact the earth at all. Otoh, this also means if we are in the wrong place at the wrong time ...

Add these together w/ what is scientifically known about 2012: a probable peak solar flare year, and the earth and sun will be in perfect alignment w/ the center of our galaxy (and as we've discovered in the past decade or so, at that center lies a black hole).

So what does all of this mean or portend for 2012? Who knows? Maybe nothing of any significance. But for apocolyptic hounds, it's fodder for a great deal of hypothetical, doomsayer barking. And most importantly, it makes for a great plot device in AC. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

AMuppetMatt
06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
My only gripe with this landmass flood is that the maps in the Assassins hideout (actually in the room with the animus in it), the maps on the wall next to Shaun show all the land that we know today.

The impression I got from AC1 was that the landmasses that no longer existed included Atlantis... but that's just my thinking...

SWJS
06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Indeed, people need to realise that whilst this is only a game, and there maybe be factual inconsistencies (such as the idea of genetic memories), whatever the developers decide is canon. So if they say a solar flare is gonna roast the planet, that is what's going to happen. I wasn't ever talking about the game. I was talking about real life circumstances. Yes, in the game Minerva says a solar flare roasted the earth alive. However, in real life a solar flare wont directly hurt us.
You are aware that upwards of 80% of electrical technologies rely on magneticism, or the fact that a compass points north in order to operate? That's planes, naval vessels (including submarines), GPS and a host of more technologies... a flip of the earth's magnetic poles will have quite an affect on us I think you'll find. Yes I'm quite aware of magnetecism being used in things we rely on. Once again, I simply stated that it wont directly hurt us. As in, no massive earthquakes, no huge cataclysm.
and the earth and sun will be in perfect alignment w/ the center of our galaxy (and as we've discovered in the past decade or so, at that center lies a black hole). The solar system is too far away from the center to be affected by the supermassive black hole at it's core. Before we even move a few million miles, Andromeda will have collided with the Milky Way by then, some billions of years from now.
The impression I got from AC1 was that the landmasses that no longer existed included Atlantis... but that's just my thinking... That's what I thought as well actually. And we don't just have the famous Atlantis, we also have all the volcanic islands like Krakatoa that explode and sink beneath the ocean surface, so there are likely many landmasses that could be included there.

lilbacchant
06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
The solar system is too far away from the center to be affected by the supermassive black hole at it's core.[QUOTE]

Apocolyptic Hound:
The alignment could cause extra gravitational pull on the sun. Although seemingly slight, it could be enough to increase solar flare activity.

Rational person:
Even if I grant you that slight possibility. You'd still have to incorporate the small liklihood that at least one of those flares would be monstrous, erupt in the direction of the earth and, further, impact the earth in one or more of the spots where the EMF is weak. Once you multiply all of those small percentages ... well, you're more likely to win the lottery, get struck by lightning, and discover a non-surgical way to permanently lengthen your ***** all in the same day.

[QUOTE]Before we even move a few million miles, Andromeda will have collided with the Milky Way by then, some billions of years from now.[QUOTE]

Before we even move a few million miles ...

I have no idea what you mean by that (the rest I do). But if I did, I probably wouldn't disagree. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

goldenarm009
06-09-2010, 04:24 PM
discover a non-surgical way to permanently lengthen your ***** all in the same day.

when someone discovers this be sure to let me know

phil.llllll
06-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by AMuppetMatt:
My only gripe with this landmass flood is that the maps in the Assassins hideout (actually in the room with the animus in it), the maps on the wall next to Shaun show all the land that we know today.

That and the map on his monitor shows all the land still there.

Marius_Darkwolf
06-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Now I know my particle physics is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that if a solar flare was big enough to actually hit the earth, the EMF wouldn't do much to save anyone. I mean even if it managed to block the radioactive particles, we'd still be looking at a multi-billion percent increase in infrared and UV. Think about it, when the sun finally expands to red giant phase and actually envelopes the earth (hopefully billions of years in the future), it won't matter how strong the EMF is, earth will still be consumed. A flare actually striking the earth won't be quite that level of "oh bugger" but bad enough I'd call it a day. And the litterally killer thing is, once the flare started, we'd have no more than 8 minutes to get in serious cover before we were carbon crispies

PlagueDoctor357
06-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I've watched an episode of Penn & Tellars Bullsh*t! Where they've disproved all the 2012 theories including the solar flares. They talk to an expert on it and he says we get hit by the highest flares on the scale on a regular basis and our atmosphere handles it no problem. No worries here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

katz_bg
06-13-2010, 01:57 AM
I seem to recall the first map from the end of AC1 was like today's world, except the border between Egypt and Libya was missing. All other political borders were marked on it, so it's not very consistent that both maps of the same future are so different.