PDA

View Full Version : P-38 late

danger13
10-11-2005, 01:01 AM
so if this is the late version of the 38, why is there no radar on the back to detect aircraft on my 6, the late 44 model had this and positions where indicated by lights and bells in the cockpit...............
S!~

LEXX_Luthor
10-11-2005, 01:07 AM
lol

danger13
10-11-2005, 01:09 AM
lol?

danger13
10-11-2005, 01:12 AM
lex, i konw u is the man, so, just one thing.......
thanks. this pf sim is the best ever, so, cant u just keep the support going, i am sure you could make it the best of all time, just like il2.

Gibbage1
10-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Oleg said he would "try" to put in this feature. Apperantly it was not possible, or just too much time to implament. Sorry, but I dont think this is going to happen. Ever.

Also, the radar sounds good on paper, but was not much of an advantage in the field. It had a short range and a wide field. 45 degrees on the side, 45 up and 25 down. When flying in formation, your wingman would often trigger it. They would wind up turning it off after so many false alarms. Also, due to its short range, by the time it was going off, it was most likley too late to react.

In WWII, fighters did not fire till they were very close. Online and offline in IL2, the AI and people fire at MUCH greater ranges since everyone is a sniper now with so many combat hours. So the short range would have even more of an impact on its uselessness.

It was an interesting invention, but not pratical.

ElAurens
10-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Love the new sig Gibbage.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bearcat99
10-11-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Gibbage1:
Oleg said he would "try" to put in this feature. Apperantly it was not possible, or just too much time to implament. Sorry, but I dont think this is going to happen. Ever.

Also, the radar sounds good on paper, but was not much of an advantage in the field. It had a short range and a wide field. 45 degrees on the side, 45 up and 25 down. When flying in formation, your wingman would often trigger it. They would wind up turning it off after so many false alarms. Also, due to its short range, by the time it was going off, it was most likley too late to react.

In WWII, fighters did not fire till they were very close. Online and offline in IL2, the AI and people fire at MUCH greater ranges since everyone is a sniper now with so many combat hours. So the short range would have even more of an impact on its uselessness.

Sort of like mirrors......... could the same thing that puts the mirrors in be used to implement this.... sort of like... if the plane is in the window that the mirror would normally see the light will go on?

Gibbage1
10-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
Sort of like mirrors......... could the same thing that puts the mirrors in be used to implement this.... sort of like... if the plane is in the window that the mirror would normally see the light will go on?

There is a simple and easy way for Oleg to implament this.

Give the P-38 a tail gunner! When I fly bombers, a gunner opening up is just as good as tail radar http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The trick is to load the read gunner with blanks, and make the gun sound an alarm. Very simple, very fast. But thats not the way Oleg works. If he is going to implament something, he is going to do it right, not some half-azzed hack job. Go-229 was going to have a drag chute, but it got nixed like the tail radar. Easy ways of cheating it in, but hard to fully implament.

dagenham_dave
10-12-2005, 01:36 AM

Also, the radar sounds good on paper, but was not much of an advantage in the field........

ok, so if a warning bell sounded, would you not look, the way i see it, if it attracted one to the rear by bells or lights, it would be practical.
also,
http://www.globalaircraft.org/planes/xb-35_flying_wing.pl
this clearly shows your XB-35 in full size pics, flying and all.

Gibbage1
10-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by dagenham_dave:
ok, so if a warning bell sounded, would you not look, the way i see it, if it attracted one to the rear by bells or lights, it would be practical.

As I said above, by the time the bells went off, the enemy was in a good firing position. And the wingman constantly tripping the warning off made you hesitate. I have read many pilots books who flew the P-38. The few that mention the warning radar said they turned the "blasted" thing off after the first flight with it on. They all agreed it was useless.

P.S. Its not ME that denies the existance of the XB-35, but Kurfurst. The local Luftwhiner. Those are his quotes and he still wont admit the B-35 existed, or even flew. I have dont a LOT of research on it, own the pilots manual, and even spoken with people at Northrup about it. Its a shame about the delays. It would of been a fantastic bomber.

bolillo_loco
10-13-2005, 12:53 PM

I beg to differ gibbage, well about the effectiveness of the radar. While you have done an excellent job of point out its short comings; you have forgotten its pluses.

I have read in several books, mostly about photo-recon lightnings, where the tail warning radar helped save the pilot and the plane. One particular example was of an photo-recon lighting that was alerted by his tail warning radar, when he checked his six he saw an Me-262 bearing down upon him so he simple side stepped out of its way. I've read similar stories in a couple books.

Gibbage1
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by bolillo_loco:
I have read in several books, mostly about photo-recon lightnings, where the tail warning radar helped save the pilot and the plane. One particular example was of an photo-recon lighting that was alerted by his tail warning radar, when he checked his six he saw an Me-262 bearing down upon him so he simple side stepped out of its way. I've read similar stories in a couple books.

I need more books then... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Can you reccomend any books by P-38 pilots? I prefer combat pilots.

p1ngu666
10-13-2005, 09:41 PM
photo recon planes flew alone, so having wingman trip it off was a non issue http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

one issue that flyin wing bomber may have is on the bomb run, the lack of stablizer area, and how would u use rudder/airbrake to guide yourself onto it well?

Gibbage1
10-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
photo recon planes flew alone, so having wingman trip it off was a non issue http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

one issue that flyin wing bomber may have is on the bomb run, the lack of stablizer area, and how would u use rudder/airbrake to guide yourself onto it well?

The split aileron rudder system worked. Also the big props in the back kept you going in a good direction. One other thing that is not very well documented is that the B-35 had the first computer stabilizing system. Yes there WAS a problem with keeping the B-35 stable enough to be a bomber platform, but Northrop found the solution. Letting a computer ajust the flaps for you to keep the aircraft stable! Talk about ahead of its time!!! Only one YB-49 carried the prototype system. That YB-49 was the one that crashed. The stability test's were then conducted on the aircraft without the stabilizing system.

I got this direct from a Northrup engineer. Not some book or web page.

That Northrup engineer also stated that the B-35/49 was doomed as a bomber for one other reason nobody knows about.

With such a flat surface on the bottom of the flying wings, bombs had trouble braking through the slipstreme of the bomb bay! During bomb testing on the B-49 program, it was found that when a bomb was dropped from the bay, it would hit the slipstream, and rise BACK UP into the bomb bay!!! Not much, but enough to throw off the targeting. This Northrup engineer also told me the B2 ALSO sifferes from this problem, BUT they designed wind brakes that deploy in front of the bomb bay to brake this slipstream and let the bombs pass.

None of that stuff is in any books about the B-35/49 project. This is all 1st hand. Interesting hay?

dagenham_dave
10-14-2005, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:

also, if flying with a wingman, surely the lead plane would switch off his radar, anyways, no point worrying about that,in the game,its a nono yes? lol

JG53Hunter
10-14-2005, 07:41 AM
upper right http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.planestuff.com/p38innovations.html

bolillo_loco
10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Gibbage if you want a list of all the P-38 books that I have I will gladly post it in this thread. I am going to assume that you already have a few, but we are talking about 40 books and the price of half of them is sixty dollars or more per book. There are about ten books that are in the price range of 30-40, and about ten others that are fairly cheap, but do not contain a lot of information or no more information than what can be found in a common general reference book.

blindpugh
10-15-2005, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gibbage1:

Sort of like mirrors......... could the same thing that puts the mirrors in be used to implement this.... sort of like... if the plane is in the window that the mirror would normally see the light will go on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>lets end this B****t an get the freakin 4.02 patch plz.