PDA

View Full Version : How can I play a dynamic campaign?

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 01:48 PM
At "features" section of FB description is noted:

Additionally, resource tracking is present and objects destroyed in one mission will stay destroyed in the next. Every destroyed plane, friendly or hostile, reduces the number of planes of this type in the theatre, making their appearance less likely. Destroyed trains and transport columns will affect supply rate. If an ace is killed or captured, he will not appear in future battles.

At same place is noted following:

Every pilot has a name, photo (it is possible to replace the default photos) a rank, medals, sorties and kills. Each pilot's skill level is defined by combat experience.

That's nice. I like that situation in which I can change small portion of war. But in case of FB I have only 2 possible solutions:

<LI>I can play mission (generated by DGEN or other dynamic generator) and after landing I can press Esc
<ul>
<LI>If I complete mission sooner than other AI pilots, these planes will "freeze" in air and count of destroyed/captured/damaged units in this mission is not correct for future missions.

<LI>I can play mission (generated by DGEN or other dynamic generator), enable external views and after landing I can see at other planes and if they all land or crash I can press Esc
<ul>
<LI>If AI planes goes out of fuel, these pilots (majors, oberleutenants, etc.) takes emergency landing e.g. into the trees in forest, e.t.c. and count of destroyed/captured/damaged units in this mission is not correct for future missions.
[/list]
So, how can I play DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN?

Message Edited on 09/08/0309:47AM by rudidlo

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 01:48 PM
At "features" section of FB description is noted:

Additionally, resource tracking is present and objects destroyed in one mission will stay destroyed in the next. Every destroyed plane, friendly or hostile, reduces the number of planes of this type in the theatre, making their appearance less likely. Destroyed trains and transport columns will affect supply rate. If an ace is killed or captured, he will not appear in future battles.

At same place is noted following:

Every pilot has a name, photo (it is possible to replace the default photos) a rank, medals, sorties and kills. Each pilot's skill level is defined by combat experience.

That's nice. I like that situation in which I can change small portion of war. But in case of FB I have only 2 possible solutions:

<LI>I can play mission (generated by DGEN or other dynamic generator) and after landing I can press Esc
<ul>
<LI>If I complete mission sooner than other AI pilots, these planes will "freeze" in air and count of destroyed/captured/damaged units in this mission is not correct for future missions.

<LI>I can play mission (generated by DGEN or other dynamic generator), enable external views and after landing I can see at other planes and if they all land or crash I can press Esc
<ul>
<LI>If AI planes goes out of fuel, these pilots (majors, oberleutenants, etc.) takes emergency landing e.g. into the trees in forest, e.t.c. and count of destroyed/captured/damaged units in this mission is not correct for future missions.
[/list]
So, how can I play DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN?

Message Edited on 09/08/0309:47AM by rudidlo

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Am I the only one confused by this post?

Ronnie

<center>http://www3.sympatico.ca/corporon2001/First_Kill.jpg </center>
<center>Woot! First online Kill!</center>

"The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win."
-Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels, "The Communist Manifesto"

"In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage."
-John Steinbeck, "The Grapes of Wrath"

XyZspineZyX
09-05-2003, 04:48 PM
If you hit Esc it doesnt mean that you accomplished the mission. If mission is accomplished you still have and option not to accept if you are not satisfied and fly the same mission over again.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:33 AM
What do you mean?

Rudidlo.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Wow, that was pretty confusing.

'Smoke and a pancake?'

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 09:42 AM
I know.

If I don't press Esc, how long I have to wait for AI units (which mostly emergency land into the trees)? I have not so much time (30 min - 2 hours) to wait until all AI units ends their mission and land.

My previous message was about ending mission due to correct impact to counting units and future missions in DGEN.

Rudidlo.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 10:19 AM
How do I play a dynamic campaign.

You don't. It doesn't work and they don't seem to motivated to fix it.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 10:43 AM
I play Dynamic Campaign and really enjoy it (it could be better, but so could everything).

I`m sure I could answer your question if I understood what you meant??

Please rephrase your question... Take your time. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"Tis better to work towards an Impossible Good, rather than a Possible Evil."

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 10:48 AM
Wait. I think I understand... You want ALL the AI to finish their missions as well before quitting. Yes?

Unfortunately, the sim simply stops and counts from where you finished. You`re right, it would be good if it calculated the finishing flights of AI.

Medieval Total War calculates this in battles if you quit out early, down to the last man.

Perhaps it would be too complex with FB and would take too long to return to debrief screen.

FB still calculates destroyed objects, AI skill from that point though.

Hope that helps a bit.

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 11:33 AM
- Wait. I think I understand... You want ALL the AI to
- finish their missions as well before quitting. Yes?

Yes. You're right. I'm not able to play dynamic campaign as described in Features section at IL2 web site due to limitations described in my article above.

- Medieval Total War calculates this in battles if you
- quit out early, down to the last man.
-
- Perhaps it would be too complex with FB and would
- take too long to return to debrief screen.

I don't know apllying this feature into FB engine could be, but IMHO FB engine can calculate rest of the battle without input (keyboard, mouse, etc.) and without output (graphics, sound) quickly.

Rudidlo.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:43 PM
If I understand correctly, you are saying that none of the things destroyed by planes that have not landed when you quit are counted?

Is this true? Is it true also for enemy planes or only ground targets?

If that is the case, then I was not aware of this limitation..

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:51 PM
maxmars wrote:
- If I understand correctly, you are saying that none
- of the things destroyed by planes that have not
- landed when you quit are counted?
-
- Is this true? Is it true also for enemy planes or
- only ground targets?
-
- If that is the case, then I was not aware of this
- limitation..
-
-

NOT TRUE.

I nearly always "cut in" and land first.
I always see the kills made by my wingmen included in the de-brief even though have yet to land by the time I "apply" the mission.

S! Simon.
<center>

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Download the USAAF campaign folder here (http://www.downloadcounter.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?username=James_Jones&account=705).

<font color="#000000">It's my attitude not my aptitude that determines my altitude.</font>
http://extremeone.4t.com/images/sig.jpg</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Ahh ok.. I was under the same impression.. But then, what was the correct meaning of the original post? I'm confused..

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Try compressing time to 8x speed [default binding to accelerate time is ']'] after you've landed.

That's about all you can do, really.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:28 PM
clint-ruin wrote:
- Try compressing time to 8x speed [default binding to
- accelerate time is ']'] after you've landed.
-
- That's about all you can do, really.
-

Yes, I do that sometimes, if I want a particular battle to finish- One still going without me. I`ll often do it if I bail in Friendly territory or crashland. It seems a tad unfair just to quit. I will quit if I land in enemy territory cos there`s no possibility of escape. (those blades of grass grab me every time!)

SeaFireLIV.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:43 PM
- If I understand correctly, you are saying that none
- of the things destroyed by planes that have not
- landed when you quit are counted?

Not. I say that if any planes in air are damaged, AI lads with them into forest, not into field(=KIA) and if I damage some plane and hit Esc before he crash into the ground, FB count him as healthy plane with pilot. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Rudidlo.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:46 PM
The correct meaning of original post was that I can't wait for others at my airfield, because they provide emergency landing into trees, buildings, etc. (fields are near their crash)

Rudidlo.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 01:49 PM
This solution doesn't work. If I accelerate time, AI pilots has better chance to crash themself in manoeuvres.

Rudidlo.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 02:00 PM
The simple answer is you don't. :-) Not by what you are looking for. What you have is what you have with FB. That is the way FB works. :-|

So I guess you run it for as long as you think is a good balance between you land and quiting right away and letting the AI fly longs to maybe complete their mission, yet not hang around until they run out of fuel and crash/emergency land. It won't perfect and I guess timing from one mission to the next will be different.

Maybe for Oleg's next simulation, put in a request to have projected results for AI aircraft still flying put into the results outcome calculation for a more dynamic war.

Tailspin
Tailspin's Tales
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Tailspin/index.htm

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 02:01 PM
rudidlo, in that case, there is no cure. You simply have to WAIT till AI finishes and lands (go for a cup of tea, whatever).

There is nothing else. Live with it.

SeaFireLIV.