PDA

View Full Version : Combat Review



bladencrowd
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
The review is split up into 3 sections: Weapons, special moves, enemies.

Weapons
Not including Small Weapons (obvious which is better than another.)
After using all the medium weapons, I've listed them in order of worst to best with their prices.
Broom/Fishing pole/Plow (Free), Common sword (gained during game), Venetian Falchion (1,900f), Mercenario War Hammer (1,900f), Old Syrian sword (2,300f), Maul (3,600f), Captain's Sword (5,200f), Florentine Falchion (5,200f), Flanged Mace (10,500f), Scimitar (11,300f), Milanese Sword (11,300f), Cavalieri Mace (20,800f), Condottiero War Hammer (35,000f), Schiavona (25,000f), Sword of Altair (50,000f)

Here's a couple small things that bothered me. Why does Venice have a weaker falchion than Florence when it has better soldiers? There's no point wasting an abundance of time collecting 50 feathers for the Condottiero War Hammer when the Schiavona cost 10,000 florins less and is much better. The Sword of Altair seems to cost a lot, but at the when you reach the point you can buy it, its cost is rather minimal. It think Ubisoft should have doubled, maybe tripled its price. Regardless, the weapons looked fantastic and the amount of them was satisfying. 8/10

Special Moves

Throw Sand- This is once of the most useless skills. The amount of time used to pick of sand and throw it is far to long. Enemies have plenty of time to attack you, thus canceling the move. Also the effects of it aren't so rewarding (even though realistic). You just get a couple seconds of slaughter..

Smash- A Smash takes a long time to build up, during which a player is vulnerable to attacks that stop the move. If you want it to be effective, you have to build it up about 4 seconds. The effects are very rewarding though; the enemy loses their weapon and is knocked to the ground.

Sweep- A Sweep takes a moderate time to build up, during which a player is vulnerable to attacks that stop the move. If you want it to be effective, you have to build it up about 4 seconds. A quick sweep has a slightly smaller range than a full sweep. The effects are very rewarding; close enemies get knocked to the ground, while those behind get knocked over by a blow to the head. An unnecessary downside however is sweeping more than three times breaks the weapon.

Flying Knives- This move allows Ezio to throw up to 5 knives (if charged long enough) at multiple enemies with decent accuracy. Like every other charging move, Flying Knives leaves you open to attacks.

Intimidate- This move really is worthless in battle. All you do is point your gun at an enemy without firing, which leads to them running away. This is only useful when faced with very few opponents, since you can be attacked during it.

The Special Moves Ezio learns are fun, but usually take to long to be useful. 7/10

Enemies
Militia- These guys will flee when a Brute/Seeker dies, or when someone gets Assassinated with a pistol. They always die to a counter and never dodge/counter you. Basically this guys are stupid nuisances. (Like grunts in Halo)

Elites- They're combat skills and bravery are somewhere in between Leaders and Militia. They dodge/counter you occasionally and run after a few deaths of their allies. This is what I wanted Militia to be like.

Leaders- I believed this guys were the hardest enemies to kill. They often repel combo kills and usually counter your combo chains. You couldn't disarm the immediately and they usually fought to the death.

Brutes- Disappointment. These guys were as difficult has Elites to me. Decent proficiency with the hidden blades made short work of them, or the instant disarm move.

Seekers- These guys were annoying in combat. They usually stay outside the combat circle and used full use of their weapon. I fell to many sweep attacks and quick lunges. Too bad they can be settled with by an instant disarm.

Agiles- Worse than Militia. Really, the most pathetic guards on earth.

The new enemy types were a great addition to AC2. I only wished they were stronger. 8/10


The combat in AC2 was enjoyable, but way too easy. You counter/combo kill weak enemies and disarm stronger ones. I wanted to be strained and be constantly using my health potions in battle. Even if I used the best armor I still should struggle a bit. The best weapons became very affordable which lead to 8 second battles. Combat deserves a score of 76 to me. Not <STRIKE>Expected</STRIKE> Excellent , not great, but satisfactory.

TooLazy4Name
12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by bladencrowd:
The review is split up into 3 sections: Weapons, special moves, enemies.

Weapons
Not including Small Weapons (obvious which is better than another.)
After using all the medium weapons, I've listed them in order of worst to best with their prices.
Broom/Fishing pole/Plow (Free), Common sword (gained during game), Venetian Falchion (1,900f), Mercenario War Hammer (1,900f), Old Syrian sword (2,300f), Maul (3,600f), Captain's Sword (5,200f), Florentine Falchion (5,200f), Flanged Mace (10,500f), Scimitar (11,300f), Milanese Sword (11,300f), Cavalieri Mace (20,800f), Condottiero War Hammer (35,000f), Schiavona (25,000f), Sword of Altair (50,000f)

Here's a couple small things that bothered me. Why does Venice have a weaker falchion than Florence when it has better soldiers? There's no point wasting an abundance of time collecting 50 feathers for the Condottiero War Hammer when the Schiavona cost 10,000 florins less and is much better. The Sword of Altair seems to cost a lot, but at the when you reach the point you can buy it, its cost is rather minimal. It think Ubisoft should have doubled, maybe tripled its price. Regardless, the weapons looked fantastic and the amount of them was satisfying. 8/10

Special Moves

Throw Sand- This is once of the most useless skills. The amount of time used to pick of sand and throw it is far to long. Enemies have plenty of time to attack you, thus canceling the move. Also the effects of it aren't so rewarding (even though realistic). You just get a couple seconds of slaughter..

Smash- A Smash takes a long time to build up, during which a player is vulnerable to attacks that stop the move. If you want it to be effective, you have to build it up about 4 seconds. The effects are very rewarding though; the enemy loses their weapon and is knocked to the ground.

Sweep- A Sweep takes a moderate time to build up, during which a player is vulnerable to attacks that stop the move. If you want it to be effective, you have to build it up about 4 seconds. A quick sweep has a slightly smaller range than a full sweep. The effects are very rewarding; close enemies get knocked to the ground, while those behind get knocked over by a blow to the head. An unnecessary downside however is sweeping more than three times breaks the weapon.

Flying Knives- This move allows Ezio to throw up to 5 knives (if charged long enough) at multiple enemies with decent accuracy. Like every other charging move, Flying Knives leaves you open to attacks.

Intimidate- This move really is worthless in battle. All you do is point your gun at an enemy without firing, which leads to them running away. This is only useful when faced with very few opponents, since you can be attacked during it.

The Special Moves Ezio learns are fun, but usually take to long to be useful. 7/10

Enemies
Militia- These guys will flee when a Brute/Seeker dies, or when someone gets Assassinated with a pistol. They always die to a counter and never dodge/counter you. Basically this guys are stupid nuisances. (Like grunts in Halo)

Elites- They're combat skills and bravery are somewhere in between Leaders and Militia. They dodge/counter you occasionally and run after a few deaths of their allies. This is what I wanted Militia to be like.

Leaders- I believed this guys were the hardest enemies to kill. They often repel combo kills and usually counter your combo chains. You couldn't disarm the immediately and they usually fought to the death.

Brutes- Disappointment. These guys were as difficult has Elites to me. Decent proficiency with the hidden blades made short work of them, or the instant disarm move.

Seekers- These guys were annoying in combat. They usually stay outside the combat circle and used full use of their weapon. I fell to many sweep attacks and quick lunges. Too bad they can be settled with by an instant disarm.

Agiles- Worse than Militia. Really, the most pathetic guards on earth.

The new enemy types were a great addition to AC2. I only wished they were stronger. 8/10


The combat in AC2 was enjoyable, but way too easy. You counter/combo kill weak enemies and disarm stronger ones. I wanted to be strained and be constantly using my health potions in battle. Even if I used the best armor I still should struggle a bit. The best weapons became very affordable which lead to 8 second battles. Combat deserves a score of 76 to me. Not <STRIKE>Expected</STRIKE> Excellent , not great, but satisfactory.


I agree with everything you said, aside from the bit about throwing sand being useless. I found it quite useful, but thats probably only because i use nothing but my fist... but i completely agree on the brute smash thing, its not to useful, but the sweep attack is for me.

wwfls1
12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
I Agree to most of what you said but you didnt state the agile problem clearly. They are not as fast as Ezio so the game lied cuz they said they were a challenge to escape from WELL THERE NOT SAME THINGS WITH THE THEIVES they dont follow you fast and you then have to wait for them or you could go to far and they disband you.
As for the seekers there good they have a nice defence etc. The brutes you said EXACTLY RIGHT there not hard at all they should atleast counter u and counter your disarms and atleast counter your assassinations.

btw flying knives is very usefull to me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

obliviondoll
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
In straight-line running, Agiles are faster than Ezio. Climbing, and jumping, he can outpace them, but it's not easy. The problem is that you never really need to run away.

wwfls1
12-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
In straight-line running, Agiles are faster than Ezio. Climbing, and jumping, he can outpace them, but it's not easy. The problem is that you never really need to run away.

um no ezio can outrun them stright and there not faster at climbing

obliviondoll
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by wwfls1:
um no ezio can outrun them stright and there not faster at climbing
In my copy of the game, on open ground, Agiles move faster than Ezio. And I never said they were faster climbing. Also, you know "they're" and "there" are two different words, right?

john63
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
When I do run, it seems like agiles are AS FAST as Ezio in a full, straight sprint. If you let your fingers slip off the trigger or legs buttons for a second, they'll slash you in the back.

I haven't tried to ouclimb them...

But that's me :P

Mcmole2
12-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Agiles are faster than Ezio in straight running, I've tried it several times. You can get away from them by climbing up, but it's difficult. Thankfully, they are easy to kill in combat.

bladencrowd
12-02-2009, 04:38 AM
I was writing it from a combat perspective, not escape/chase. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

howwie11
12-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree with most of your thoughts, although I would add one small thing. In real combat (not that i REALLY know) footwork is as important or more so than your upper body. That being said, it just bugs me that on the elite soldiers that counter EVERYTHING...wich is cool in a way...I can side step and be directky behind them, strike and they block it. I know the fighting is already very easy, but I'd like to see more footwork in AC3 or DLC. Or at least make it worth my time to "dance" around behind someone. real ilfe, you get behind anyone elite or not, they are done. but thats just my .02