PDA

View Full Version : Why no note names in Rocksmith?

geoffprickett
10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
I've only been playing for a couple hours, so hopefully this is an issue related to earlier game progress and note names will appear later on due to some logical educational progression that I am not understanding.

So far I have not seen any note names while playing the game. The strings are color coded and the notes are coded as colored blocks and by fret numbers. This seems like an unbelievably obvious missed opportunity to me.

I am a beginning guitar player, who purchased the game as a way to take some of the chore out of learning on my way to being able to perform adequately in venues and with other musicians.

One of the biggest and most tedious hurdles in learning the guitar is memorizing the notes on the fretboard and which notes make up chords.

I know there must be minigames and training exercises in the game that will deal with this somewhere, but my question is - why is it not in every aspect of the game? It seems to me that if a floating yellow block can represent a note in the game, why couldn't it be a floating yellow "C#" or whatever? Or a floating yellow block with a "C#" on it? Or at have a "C#" rise up out of the strings when I play one? It seems so much more practical and useful rather than learning strings and frets by color and number. Being inundated with the note names every time I play them seems like it would be a simple way to burn them into my subconscious.

Right now, all I'm learning is "red string, 3rd fret" etc.

The technology behind this game is nothing short of amazing. The education progression seems well thought out and easy to follow. I can't believe that teaching note names has been so overlooked.

I hope they will rectify this with a downloadable update, or at very least incorporate the idea into "Rocksmith 2". Other than this one issue, I think it's an amazing product. I'm sure if UbiSoft doesn't do it, someone else will soon - and they will have the more effective product.

DJdarkness73
10-18-2011, 02:43 PM
while I personally don't care to learn the names of notes I can understand what you're saying. If the note names were there on the block as i hit the string i would have no choice but to learn them.

geoffprickett
10-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Knowing the note names is kind of crucial to playing an instrument outside of the video game world. I thought that learning guitar for the real world was the whole premise of this game.

If you go try to join a band and you ask somebody how a part goes, they're not going to tell you "Red string 3rd fret" "Yellow string second fret" etc... They're going to say "A, C, D, E, etc."

To not have real notes be a fundamental part of this "real guitar game", especially when they just as easily could have, is so ridiculously stupid, I can't believe I'm not missing something.

toymachinesh
10-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I don't even understand what you want... You want there to be

E
A
D
G
B
E

added to the interface next to the guitar?

Why?

Red = E
Yellow = A
Blue = D
Orange = G
Green = B
Purple = High E

there you have your "note names"

You aren't learning sheet music you are learning a different way of using "tablature"

geoffprickett
10-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Not just the strings, but the notes for each fret. Rather than just learning a string color and a fret number, I would like to know what notes I'm playing. There is really no logical reason that I can think of for it to just be a colored block.

I'm not trying to learn "tablature". I'm trying to learn how to play an instrument. Note names are how music is communicated. Until guitar hero came around. Then it became colors and dots. It made sense then, but if they're trying to teach real usable skills, we should be learning the notes of the fretboard.

I'm not talking about the notes of the strings (although that would be nice to have noted more clearly - more often too). So yes you are correct in saying you don't understand what I'm talking about.

toymachinesh
10-18-2011, 08:16 PM
This game doesn't teach music theory and it never said it would.

geoffprickett
10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Look. I'm not on here to fight with children who want to defend their purchase. Other than this one complaint, I am extremely impressed with the game. But it's a pretty significant complaint.

Put it this way. One of the most basic and commonly used tools of playing real guitar are power chords. All you need to know to play them is the basic handshape and the note on the fret board to start on. For example to play a "c" power chord, I make my power chord hand shape and start on the 3rd fret of the 5th (A) string. - (I had to look that up - I was hoping this game would help me memorize such things.) From what I can tell, it isn't going to be very good at teaching you things like that - and they are some of the most fundamental building blocks in guitar playing.

If somebody asks you to play an "F#" on a guitar, you should know where that is. You should know where several "f#"s are on the fretboard. I would consider that a pretty basic and primary skill of guitar playing. From what I'm seeing so far out of this game - they totally missed that or at least didn't focus on it as much as they could have.

Like I said. Not on here to argue. I'm on here to raise as much fuss about what I believe should be a simple fix - that either they update this game, or fix it for future releases. Other than that, so far, game well done.

SeattleSauve
10-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Rock Band's Pro Guitar mode does something similar to what you might be looking for.

See Chord Numbering (http://www.rockband.com/files/zine/chordnumbering.jpg).

They took the approach of basically doing vertical tabulature, with chord names to the left, so when you play a C5 you see the tab (x35xxx), and to the left it will say "C5".

I haven't had a chance to play with the RS interface yet, but I'm wondering if requiring the colors is going to be a blocker for people who are color blind, or if there's another easy way to differentiate between the strings.

geoffprickett
10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks SeattleSauve. Yes you get what I'm talking about. This game interface is based on colors and fret numbers. There is no reason I can think of why the couldn't just as easily tell you what note you are playing as well.

If you are color blind, it would be difficult for you to tell which string it expects you to hit, but that probably would have been a problem in Guitar Hero as well.

I was just reading reviews to see what others are saying. Some are ripping it to shreds, some are saying it's great. I think the most fair assessment is that it is a very good start and that it points to great promise for future games. However, there are some dumbfounding missed opportunities and poor design decisions. I read reviews like that and that would be my assessment as well. The technology is amazing. Down right magical I would say. I'm not usually one to spent much time on message boards, but obviously this product has me excited. Not so much for what it is, but for what it could be.

I read about some latency problems on certain audio/video setups, but I have no complaints on mine.

The technology seems to be the real attraction here, while the actual game has some refinements needed. It kind of poorly walks the line between educational tool and typical/useless in the real world music game. I've noted my issues about not teaching the notes of the fretboard which they could have very easily done. Another reviewer pointed out that they could have easily helped teach you how to tune - another primary skill.

Instead, the game largely focuses on playing cover songs in a "pseudo-tab/guitar hero" format using a real guitar. The key is that you are USING A REAL GUITAR - with six strings and the proper number of notes - so it's amazing just for that. I am an extreme beginner, so I WILL learn from this game. But mostly I will learn fingerspeed, cordination, and accuracy - best applied to playing cover songs from tab particularly in their half game half tab format.

I am a singer in a rock band wanting to learn guitar, and it will help my mechanics as a guitar player in the real world, but it falls down significantly in teaching me "what" I'm doing and not just "how" to do it by sight reading off their game. With just a few simple and obvious adjustments, they could have easily done both simultaneously.

Buy the game if you want to practice the physical act of moving about the guitar with skill and speed. But don't expect to write any songs or join any bands as a guitar player until they've decided to teach you "what" you are playing and not just "how" to sight read their unique form of transcription.

Funk-n-Stein
10-18-2011, 09:38 PM
I am a singer in a rock band wanting to learn guitar, and it will help my mechanics as a guitar player in the real world, but it falls down significantly in teaching me "what" I'm doing and not just "how" to do it by sight reading off their game. With just a few simple and obvious adjustments, they could have easily done both simultaneously.

Have you gotten into the mini-games and technique challenges? They do a pretty good job of getting deeper into the kind of stuff you are looking for. I haven't unlocked the scale trainer yet, but I'm guessing that it will help with note names from what I've seen from the other stuff.

geoffprickett
10-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks Funk-N-Stein. I was hoping they would.

victorhaldana
10-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by geoffprickett:
I've only been playing for a couple hours, so hopefully this is an issue related to earlier game progress and note names will appear later on due to some logical educational progression that I am not understanding.

So far I have not seen any note names while playing the game. The strings are color coded and the notes are coded as colored blocks and by fret numbers. This seems like an unbelievably obvious missed opportunity to me.

I am a beginning guitar player, who purchased the game as a way to take some of the chore out of learning on my way to being able to perform adequately in venues and with other musicians.

One of the biggest and most tedious hurdles in learning the guitar is memorizing the notes on the fretboard and which notes make up chords.

I know there must be minigames and training exercises in the game that will deal with this somewhere, but my question is - why is it not in every aspect of the game? It seems to me that if a floating yellow block can represent a note in the game, why couldn't it be a floating yellow "C#" or whatever? Or a floating yellow block with a "C#" on it? Or at have a "C#" rise up out of the strings when I play one? It seems so much more practical and useful rather than learning strings and frets by color and number. Being inundated with the note names every time I play them seems like it would be a simple way to burn them into my subconscious.

Right now, all I'm learning is "red string, 3rd fret" etc.

The technology behind this game is nothing short of amazing. The education progression seems well thought out and easy to follow. I can't believe that teaching note names has been so overlooked.

I hope they will rectify this with a downloadable update, or at very least incorporate the idea into "Rocksmith 2". Other than this one issue, I think it's an amazing product. I'm sure if UbiSoft doesn't do it, someone else will soon - and they will have the more effective product.

I have to agree that this is a pretty major oversight. The game tells us it's going to teach us guitar while we play, so to have that on there would have been awesome. Regardless, my cable seems to be busted to so I can't even play yet!

Pancho X1
10-18-2011, 10:58 PM
I was just thinking this a little while ago. I got my copy, played for a few hours, then I went to band practice, where I play bass, and while learning a new song, the band leader said stuff like, play your e on the a string. easy enough for the level of skill I have. then I came home and played some more and yeah, it was tough trying to find the fret number during some notes higher up and I realised that I was trying to interperet what the note name was in my head and it really made it hard to play the game. I think I'll adapt and doing both bass and playing this game will be a plus plus in the long run. oh and by the way, I'm color blind a bit. I have some difficulty seeing the difference between the G and B strings, but it hasn't really been a problem thanks to the "highlighting" of the strings that takes place in the game.

BubbaMc
10-19-2011, 05:14 AM

As a long term guitar teacher, let me offer you some advice.

Identifying scale degrees by ear and knowing where they are on the fretboard for any given key is far more important than rote learning the note names themselves. In a way, Rocksmith is doing you a favour.

By all means, learn the names of the notes on the fretboard, but it's not something that you should be focusing on while playing. In other words, the ear is far more important than the staff.

jackaldark
10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
I played a song that was all chords last night and it in fact had the chord names on the note sets just as you suggest. So you know what the name of the chord you're playing.

I think that when you're playing single notes and you get up to the higher difficulty, there's not much room for the note names to go and a lot of the time it's going way too fast for you to really make use of the letters.

Could be screen space too as the font would have to be tiny to fit on the notes.

Maybe they had it on there and then took it out because it was too cluttered.

Play a chord song and you'll see what I mean.

And I agree with BubbaMC there, the ear is more important than processing letters while you're playing. Which is exactly what they said about this game, helping you learn to play by ear and memorization.

Mr.Meist
10-19-2011, 08:08 AM
i Completely agree, I've been playing for years, i know my scales and a lot of my notes, but i wish you could change the notation style so that the notes names were labeled on the note blocks. I would learn so much more, right now I feel like one of those kids who just looks at tab without ever knowing what they're doing. That's not making music. I've found myself sitting and learning these songs on my own to better understand them, because the game presents them in such a weird way.
Anyway, I just wish note names were there (In a similar way to the way chords are notated)

thorgslays
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I think they could easily have added a Music Theory mini game.

You could learn the notes by them being highlighted on the staff with the Note Letter scrolling up from it (or something like that), you have to hit the correct Note to get points.

It could start you out at Level 1 on the first string notes and work up the levels from there. Higher levels would have you learning notes on more stings and then add notes between the stings.

Then it could teach you about beats. Learning to do whole notes, half notes, rests etc.

I believe they thought people were not interested in this. Experienced musicians already know this. But as a beginner it would be nice to learn it from a mini-game than looking a book.

Kroger
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
If you want a good way to learn the fretboard, here is an option. Learn the notes on the first two strings, the low E and the A. The 6th string (fattest string) played open is a E note. So the first fret, 6th string is an F note. It goes from there. (E,F, F#, G,G#, etc) The notes are identical on the 1st string (thinnest string).

After you have learned the notes on the 6th and 5th strings, you then have to learn how octaves work, and it's pretty much two shapes. You can do a google search on Octave shapes and it should reveal it.

Learning the notes on those first two strings is very helpful when playing power chords. For example, an A5 Power Chord, you know the A is on the 5th fret, so you just play the power chord there. A D5 is the power chord either played at the 10th fret (6th string) or the 5th fret (A string root/5th string).

Hope that helps.

geoffprickett
10-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Totally agree Mr. Meist.

Thanks BubbaMC - I will continue to use the game to get what I can from it - I just see no reason why we can't be learning both.

Basically - I'm really looking forward to "Rocksmith 2" or whatever game takes this technology and concept and incorporates all the suggested improvements.

I've been so worked up about this game - like I said I'm not usually one to be on forums. But I really see games like this being instrumental in changing the future. So many musicians I know talk about the fact that the amount of passive and non-productive entertainment available in modern society has hurt the number of people growing up who learn to play an instrument really well.

I.E. There are fewer Jimi Hendrix', Eric Claptons, Jimi Pages now because kids are playing video games and watching movies rather than practicing guitar. Games like this could really turn that around and the next generation may actually have more amazing guitar players than any before it.

I'm excited about games like this and I want the developers to get it right. I called into UBIsoft to submit my suggestions, and I was told to also start a message board in the forum - that the company and game designers really look at those and take people's opinions into consideration.

So, the more we get on here and talk, the better chance our ideas for improvement will find their way into the games eventually.

Thanks all.

geoffprickett
10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Like it Thorgslays.

CrankyCaucasian
10-19-2011, 09:45 AM
I'll add my agreement on wanting to learn to read sheet music to play. During the summer I began trying to teach myself to play, and the video/book I was using was doing this, which I liked. Was hoping this game would continue that in a more entertaining way.

Funk-n-Stein
10-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Just one more thought from me on this. If you are serious about guitar, you should be utilizing several sources of instruction. There are great websites (www.justinguitar.com) out there that have great instruction for free. Rocksmith isn't intended to be a single source 'teach you everything you know to be a guitar player' application. Even if you were paying for weekly lessons from an instructor, you should still be looking at books/websites/etc. Rocksmith (from what I have seen so far in the limited time I've had it) can be a great stepping off point, a fantastic way to practice fundamentals, a fun way to learn new songs, or all of the above. There is just way too much to learn about guitar to incorporate it in one video game. I think they've done a fantastic job at hitting a lot of the important stuff.

Martin37
10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Go get that book
http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Book...636922/ref=pd_sim_b8 (http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Book-Guitar-Complete-Guitarists/dp/0825636922/ref=pd_sim_b8)

You will have all you need to learn notes.

For me Rocksmith is a complement of what I'm learning with my guitard.

But It's so fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Martin

CrankyCaucasian
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Funk-n-Stein:
Just one more thought from me on this. If you are serious about guitar, you should be utilizing several sources of instruction. There are great websites (www.justinguitar.com) out there that have great instruction for free. Rocksmith isn't intended to be a single source 'teach you everything you know to be a guitar player' application. Even if you were paying for weekly lessons from an instructor, you should still be looking at books/websites/etc. Rocksmith (from what I have seen so far in the limited time I've had it) can be a great stepping off point, a fantastic way to practice fundamentals, a fun way to learn new songs, or all of the above. There is just way too much to learn about guitar to incorporate it in one video game. I think they've done a fantastic job at hitting a lot of the important stuff.

This is a great point that hadn't occurred to me. The biggest thing I hope to get from this game is improved dexterity/accuracy in being able to play.

geoffprickett
10-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I think you definitely will improve dexterity/accuracy from this game. And yes we could go on and on about all kinds of new things they could incorporate - and you can't use this videogame as your sole source of guitar instruction.

I felt that not drilling us with note names - when they easily could have is a real missed opportunity.

If you can make a floating yellow block symbolize a note, I see no reason why it can't be a floating yellow "F#". Watching notes like that over and over would have helped me effortlessly learn the fretboard without having to sit down and tediously study it on my own.

Same goes for not having the notes of the strings present off to the side - every single time you see them.

There's no good reason I can think of as to why this wasn't done.

It seems so obvious to me that I can't believe this game passed through an entire company and months and months of concept meetings, development and testing, without somebody suggesting: "Hey - what's up with the floating colored blocks? - Why not just make them floating colored letters so that we're learning what notes we're playing as well?"

Just in case that somehow did happen - I'm suggesting it here and now.

Funk-n-Stein
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
If you can make a floating yellow block symbolize a note, I see no reason why it can't be a floating yellow "F#". Watching notes like that over and over would have helped me effortlessly learn the fretboard without having to sit down and tediously study it on my own.

Same goes for not having the notes of the strings present off to the side - every single time you see them.

There's no good reason I can think of as to why this wasn't done.

It seems so obvious to me that I can't believe this game passed through an entire company and months and months of concept meetings, development and testing, without somebody suggesting: "Hey - what's up with the floating colored blocks? - Why not just make them floating colored letters so that we're learning what notes we're playing as well?"

Just in case that somehow did happen - I'm suggesting it here and now.

It may have been a usability issue. They have to ensure that it will be readable across a wide variety of TVs in terms of size, HD vs non-HD, etc. If it was a letter instead of a block, someone with a 20" screen might have a very tough time reading it.

Anyway, would be cool to add that with the ability to toggle it on/off.

ZumaRocks
10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
I like the idea of note names, but not on the blocks. Some of them already have X's for palm muting or symbols for hammer on, pick offs. Would be cool to have them on the strings at the bottom of the screen where they show where your fingers go.

geoffprickett
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok. Had some real time with the game now. I have to say this thing is pretty freakin' amazing and is really going to make me better as a guitar player.

The menu navigation is a little goofy and I find myself having to start over again at the main menu a lot rather than just being able to go back one step. Not a big deal and I'm pretty sure most people playing the game will notice it and it will be fixed in later games.

As others mentioned on this page, when you're playing chords it does give you the chord name. So you are subconsciously learning those.

I'm also now understanding why the "notes" are in the shape of bricks - because at times they are stacked up and it's the neatest and least confusing way to symbolize them.

So - note names on the bricks? At least in single note mode? We're learning chords by name, but we could also be learning the notes that make them up and the notes of the frets at the same time.

Really getting into this game though. What they have accomplished with a first draft is pretty amazing.

Funk-n-Stein
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM

The menu navigation is a little goofy and I find myself having to start over again at the main menu a lot rather than just being able to go back one step. Not a big deal and I'm pretty sure most people playing the game will notice it and it will be fixed in later games.

I seriously hope they fix the menu system, I just wrote a separate post about that before I read your comment. Goofy is an understatement! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

r1chard34
10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Martin37:
Go get that book
http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Book...636922/ref=pd_sim_b8 (http://www.amazon.com/Gig-Book-Guitar-Complete-Guitarists/dp/0825636922/ref=pd_sim_b8)

You will have all you need to learn notes.

For me Rocksmith is a complement of what I'm learning with my guitard.

But It's so fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Martin

You Guitard!!!!

sorry, couldn't resist http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BubbaMc
10-20-2011, 02:57 AM
So - note names on the bricks? At least in single note mode? We're learning chords by name, but we could also be learning the notes that make them up and the notes of the frets at the same time.

Being spoon fed the note names while you're playing is probably not be the best way to memorize the fretboard. Get some blank fretboard diagrams and a pencil and have at it. Then apply what you've learnt within the game.

Funk-n-Stein hit the nail on the head - utilize multiple forms of instruction.

DrwhoGalefrie
10-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Totally agree on the Notes thing.

Each little colored block could have easily accommodated the name of the note you will be playing.

So you could see the block and the note coming at you. Or at least an option to turn it on or off.

Funk-n-Stein
10-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Each little colored block could have easily accommodated the name of the note you will be playing.

Really? What about the notes where there's an x or some other symbol to denote palm mutes, hammer-ons, etc?

DrwhoGalefrie
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Really? What about the notes where there's an x or some other symbol to denote palm mutes, hammer-ons, etc?

-- Then you use a slightly different graphic.

Don't make this a heated debate, these are just suggestions. Relax

Funk-n-Stein
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't make this a heated debate, these are just suggestions. Relax

Who's heated? I'm cool as a cucumber - just asking a relevant question. Take it as you will.

RedHotFuzz
10-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by BubbaMc:

Being spoon fed the note names while you're playing is probably not be the best way to memorize the fretboard.

Maybe not the "best" (which is debatable), but it's certainly "a" way to learn the notes on the fretboard. I would like to see Rocksmith give me this option.

r1chard34
10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I think a note naming mini game would be a better way to ingrain that information.

It seems that having the notes displayed on the blocks during a song would be a technically easy thing to do. Just an image overlay really.

I can't believe they didn't try it or at least talk about it. I suspect there was some other issue. Maybe it was sensory overload, or maybe the literal representation with it's blocks floating through the air and landing on the strings just didn't mesh well with something as utterly symbolic as musical notation.

Martin37
10-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Ok I'm geting **** about those..
If you want to learn the nots di it as I do, go get some book and learn it..

Stop *****ing that GAME for what it is...

Jeez dud do you think America was builded that easy?

Regards
Martin

spanxxx
10-21-2011, 09:30 AM
I think you right so tell the developer to drop a patch so the notes will come up it would not take much to make it a dlc

geoffprickett
10-21-2011, 12:48 PM
That's what I was hoping for "Span". I called in to the company to ask about this and they said to start a forum thread as well - the developers really read these things for feedback, especially with a new release like this.

The more attention, this thread attracts, the better the chance of our suggestions being heard.

We're at almost 1,000 views now by far the most popluar thread in the forum. Hopefully, the company has seen some of this by now.

It would be great if we could get some feedback from UBI on here.

A downloadable patch brining note names into the game would be great, and certainly what I would most prefer.

If that's not possible, certainly if they hear enough demand for it, they can work it into Rocksmith 2.

MostofaNahian
10-21-2011, 01:50 PM
TO SUM EVERYTHING UP = itd be nice to have the OPTION of seeing the frets as notes instead of numbers.

Mr.Meist
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
i agree, the option should be there. but it also kinda brings up the issue of note redundancy.

if someone plays an E on fret 12 of the 6 string and an E on fret 7 of the 5th string based on differently notated songs, they could get confused.

But that just brings me to this huge personal issue of how the songs are notated.

for me, playing guitar WELL has always been about economy of motion. but up/down and across the fretboard.

The songs in this game have you moving all over the fretboard. It doesnt know what string your playing. It doesnt care and neither does your ear.
which is all that matters.

This game is notated poorly in that respect. i find myself pausing in the middle of a song and figuring it out in a less strenuous way position-wise.

GimbalLock
10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
I Agree .. there should be a option to turn on the note names and place then on the squares that are coming to the fret bored. With it being an option you can use it or not.

Hab_Fan
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Learning the notes on the guitar is not just memorizing them but making that relationship of the note to the sound so that it can be internaliized. What good is it to only hear the sound but not know what note it is you are playing?

I don't think having the notes on the screen during song play is necessary, however having options is never a bad thing. As a preference I would rather have it as a mini game like the chords game or in with the techniques.

Right now learning notes of the guitar ranks as the most boring thing to learn about the instrument. If this game can make it fun it definitely has my vote.

stoptheshow
10-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I'll sort of agree with the OP here. However, I don't think its something you need on the song interface. I'd much rather see a minigame added that helps you learn the notes along the neck. It can start off easy like the other mingames, maybe restricting the notes to the low E and A strings then adding the other strings as you progress.

steeljake
10-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I def would like to see it as an option. i have been playing for over 20 yrs and for me the learning curve on this game is not the music, but the way it is presented. since i can read music and tab seeing colors also associated with strings was/is a tad confusing. i do really like the fact that the game recognises the chrod it asks for in not just the postion it displays but just about any other one there is; IE playing an A at fret 2 instead of a power or barre chord at the 5th.

AlexLifeson
10-22-2011, 04:49 PM
It would be cool to make a minigame out of this where they gave you a string to use and then call out a note name and you had to play it in 5 secs or so.
then as you got better change strings and go faster. One way to learned the whole fretboard.
I agree it would be nice to have at least an option to turn on/off note/chord names in songs until you learn them. Maybe they thought it was too much info to throw at a beginner all at once.?

mdburch
10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
How about just using the Zombie game and calling out single note names rather than chord names? - Call it Note of the Living Dead! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Area110011B
10-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Count me as a vote for an option to display note names as we play. I'm in the over 40 age group and trying to learn serious guitar. I learned to read music in high school, but stink at self-taught guitar. I'm trying to learn major, minor, modal, etc. scales so I can jam in various keys.

There is no need to "defend" the game for being a game first, tutorial second. We get that. UbiSoft is in that business. I see great value in the techniques approach and auto level-up to push me harder than my previous self-taught practice has accomplished.

But we are just saying that note names would be a nice touch to improve on the great interactive tutorial experience developed so far. While we continually improve our playing skills, why not encourage Ubi to continually improve the program to be a better tutorial for those less interested in gaming.

eqalidan
10-23-2011, 04:43 AM
i have to say this

im 23
i have hearing loss in one ear,
i have been interested in learning guitar sense i was a kid, but new for a fast i couldn't learn it. i mean if i had to learn everything, id have gotten board within a few weeks and money wasted.
i also have no delusions of ever playing for people, or making songs, i just dont have any amount of talent for that.

i got rock band 3 specifically for the squire, and is what i'm using to play rocksmith with.

all my friends who played guitar, all used tabliture to write music (friend who made a death metal band) and friends who learned for fun, so i have no idea how useful knowing the names of notes is when i never seen it once.

rockband shows the letter names for anything bigger than 1 note, but also shows where to start it and a vauge hand position.

this game i feel does a far better job in the teaching department

i spent close to 400$ in total on rockband 3, guitar game and midi controller, and if i didn't have that, already, this game came along i wouldn't have been willing to spend the 200$ it would have taken me to get a squire and this game.

like i said, im here for learning the skills, which this game excells at, and can make interesting, its a better teacher than rockband where going from easy to medium is i can pass the song at 90-100% regardless of what it is, to i cant even finish a song without no fail on.

what im saying is that you have to take the many mes there are into consideration.

that and i believe that it was a developer who made the game said they had no idea how to play the guitar when they were handed the rocksmith project, so it was made bottom up from people who had no idea how, and they figured out a GREAT way to teach it. the videos on youtube of the guy demoing it for i think 8 min a while back.

i think i got off on a tangent somewhere.

geoffprickett
10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Just checking in after a few days. Wow. Thanks people! Lots of views. Lots of feedback.

Seems no one can really argue that having at least an option to have Rocksmith work harder to teach notes would be a bad thing.

For those of you offering up constructive feedback and suggestions in hopes that UBI will see it and incorporate it either into this game by downloadable patch or future games - thank you and I hope we all get something out of this.

geoffprickett
10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Just read some reviews. Looks like critics are saying the same thing we've all been saying.

Great start. Room for lots and lots of improvement, but still exciting compared to what's been offered in the past.

Keep talking. It's being noticed.

Silvos1973
10-25-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm a beginner and wanted to know the notes as well. I did some searching on the net and the best explanation of the fretboard I could find was by a guy named Scotty West. Guitar Lesson 3 -Chapter 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91cUr11SQv4) through chapter 4 discusses the fretboard. For me the videos in set really helped me understand where the notes were.

There is also a really good video Lesson 3 Chapter 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6-LxCmzxqE) that discusses the correct way to hold the guitar.

These videos have really helped me with questions that rocksmith did not answer.

Goooner1
10-27-2011, 06:51 AM
If you've got some sort of i device (not sure if it's available on Android or anything), there's a nice little app that I use for learning the notes on the neck, it's called Fretboard Warrior.

You can chose to do either all the strings at once, or one at a time and which position (set of 4 frets) either one position or all of them.

You see a picture of the fretboard with all the strings and frets (with the dots for 3,5,7, 9 and the 2 for 12, so you know where you are) it plays a note and moves a little marker thing into the position for the note it's just played and you have the names of all the notes as buttons along the bottom and you have to select the correct note that you think has just been played.

It's helped me a lot learning the notes on the bottom two strings for power chords.

No connection with it, just found it very helpful.

oldgeezer99
10-27-2011, 07:56 AM
as a longtime musician who's just now for the first time learning how to play electric guitar... thanks! to ubi for making this great game.

Agree though NOTES are critical to learning... I'd really like to see not just the note name, but preferably say a scrolling staff at the bottom of the screen (option), that shows what the notes look like in realtime on a music staff as we're learning/playing them.

(like midi software does, eg cakewalk)

Agree too a mini game would be great, that has a scrolling left-to-right music treble staff that has NOTES on SHEET MUSIC that light up/give points as we get them right.

There's dozens of "play-along" music books for electric guitar (that include CDs), I've bought a bunch this week from amazon (Rush, Pink Floyd, Police, etc)... and am looking forward to using those once I learn where the notes are on the staff, how to play on the fret. This would be a GREAT feature for rocksmith to add, and a "must have" one if you're going to learn guitar.

The colored blocks are a huge step up from old plastic controller games, since now we're finally using a real guitar. The next step is, we need to have scrolling SHEET MUSIC left to right showing at the bottom of the screen as a feature.

griffin6002
10-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey Geoff. I've been playing guitar and teaching sight reading for 30 years, and the best tool to learn notes is absolutefretboard.com. Hopefully Rocksmith does add standard notation at some point, but until then, absolutefretboard will give you the tools you need to learn the notes of the guitar. It would be cool to have some minigames in Rocksmith devoted to standard notation.

griffin6002
10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
One of the best tools for learning guitar is Vox's JamVox. I've seen it for as little as $75. You plug the included monitor into your PC via USB, and then you plug your guitar into the monitor. You can import all of your mp3's into JamVox, and then you can reduce the guitar part to jam along, or isolate the guitar part to focus on learning it. The best thing is you can slow the song WAY down without changing pitch. There is an extensive online function built into JamVox. Next to all of your imported songs there is a link that you click on which takes you to guitarinstructor.com for that song's TAB. I love Rocksmith, but even with my 30 years of playing I'm having trouble seeing how a new guitar player could learn songs playing it. I KNOW a lot of the Rocksmith songs, and I STILL can't follow the Rocksmith color coded block scheme.

goldsac
10-27-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm glad I'm seeing overall support for this option, because I honestly don't see how anyone can argue against at least having the option. I can understand if you just aren't interested in perhaps 'cluttering' things if the letters are of no interest to you (hence the option) - but otherwise, what's the drawback?? Might as well learn your note letter-names by osmosis, which might lead to instinctual knowledge.

-yes, scale degrees are more important. Knowing the letter names doesn't come at the expense of this idea. It'd be best to know both.
(It'd be cool if scale degrees could be incorporated too, but I'm struggling to picture as to how this could happen)

-yes, there is no discounting the need for using multiple resources of instruction. Kind of pointless to this discussion though - we're talking about improving the game. No matter how good this game is, there will always be a need for other angles/methods.

oldgeezer99
10-28-2011, 07:57 AM
about listing other URLs/products here?
while it's good to see ideas about other resources, the problem is this thread (and others) may turn into spam-fests from everyone who sells instructional guitar stuff, to post their links/sites/affiliate links here...

probably best to come up with good ideas for what to include in ROCKSMITH game, vs other resources (it would be good to have a sticky/other thread somewhere though, for instructional guitar resources, in the forum)...

I'd like to see fretboard, scales, scrolling notes on a music staff at bottom, type options

Kemeros
10-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Yep, i'd like to see what note i am playing. It would be nice if they put the option in the settings. So that way you can toggle it. Would also be nice if the settings were accessible when pausing a song.

goldsac
10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by oldgeezer99:
about listing other URLs/products here?

If that was directed my way, I'm actually agreeing with you. I was lending my support to seeing letter notes in the game.

Further, I was lending support to the idea that other tools/products are important to learning, but also have nothing to do with improving the game itself. A separate thread seems a good idea for other resources, as you said.

alfaalex101
10-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I agree this is an essential issue - PLEASE DO NOT NEGLECT OUR PLEE'S! WE PAY YOUR SALARY http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

GregSmith2011
10-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Here's my take, so let me play devil's advocate.
first and foremost Rocksmith is still a game. While yes its a valuable learning tool, it is still first and for most a game, and is a product that needs to cater to a wide demographic of players. I am sure that the debate whether to have notation included or not was discussed thoroughly in development meetings countless times, before they came to a decision. My guess why they chose what they did is as follows: current trends of music games already use color coding, rockband, guitar hero, etc.. have been using color coding so it's what gamers expect, this makes the transition over from these faux music games a bit easier for players that want a bit more. Also seeing a stream of Letters coming your way may seem a bit intimidating to people who've never picked up a guitar in their life, color association is something our brains have an easier time with than Letters. Also another thing that probably was a factor was TMI or too much information being displayed in the GUI all at once, that can get a bit daunting for a beginner. The goal with any interface is to keep it simple as possible. If the interface becomes too complicated it may frustrate and turn away players. Not something you want if your trying to sell a product.

Okay enough devil's advocate. My opinion is that I do believe that there should be an option, maybe somewhere in the game you can set the difficulty for an advanced player where it switches from colored blocks to actual notes.
or maybe when you phase level up after you achieved 100% of the notes being played it switches to notes instead of blocks. There are many ways that it can be handled and I do think it should be an option. But I can also see why it could have been excluded. It isn't because Ubisoft is dumb, there were just a lot more factors that where in play that shaped the end product of this game.

Xx El Kino xX
10-31-2011, 07:10 AM
just print out a diagram of the fretboard that has all the note names on it

geoffprickett
11-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Great! No way they haven't seen this by now! Thanks people!

DrexMacleod
11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Would be good to have the "cage Theory" learning the note shapes and then the scales available for those shapes.

The big thing i am enjoying is the fact I am playing alot and even though there are no "notes " being displayed they are hitting alot of the basic skills you need to play and giving you plenty of exercises with which to pratice them. And pratice is the name of the game so to speak. They do name the Chords...

GimbalLock
11-05-2011, 11:50 AM
they stated in the Q&A yesterday that they originally had note names in there , but they felt that was to much info for use to handle so they removed it. So they could make it an option real easy.

Do you get the feeling they think we are all dumb as sheep?

geoffprickett
11-09-2011, 12:03 AM
@GimbalLock

Well there you go everybody. I figured that my proposal of adding note names was not exactly some epiphany that I had all by myself. I knew it must have been considered and discarded by the developer at some point.

Well. I for one think it was a mistake. Put it back in. Especially if the coding is already done.

Patch please!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

psn_id_indyDean
11-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Well. I for one think it was a mistake. Put it back in. Especially if the coding is already done.

Patch please!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

+1 on that!

caldaar
11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
To be specific on what they said in the Q&A is that they tried to put the note names in there, but it clogged up the screen. It was too much information and useless at the speed that the notes were flying at you. I agree that I would like to see the notes, but once you know the base notes of the strings it is easy to count the rest of the frets. E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E... Or if you want to do flats... E F Gb G Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb... There are no flats or sharps between the BC or EF.

Maybe an option would be showing the sheet music below the Guitar strings?

Austin_Dennis
11-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Im a beginner too, I wouldn't use this game to learn guitar, just have fun. Like you said, no notes are needed, just chords and colors. The absolute best way to learn guitar to reach legends like Page, Clapton and others, learn chords, then notes, then technique and make up your own music. I higly recommend NOT USING tabs, they are not much different than the game, the only difference is that tabs are not colored, and are mostly inaccurate, go with sheet music, its more in depth, tells the tempo, the time.

Hab_Fan
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Austin_Dennis:
The absolute best way to learn guitar to reach legends like Page, Clapton and others, learn chords, then notes

So what you're saying is that it is better to memorize all the chords available first and when you have those firmly planted in the brain THEN learn the notes that make up those chords? Trust me, Page, Clapton and others didn't learn it that way. Memorize the notes on the fretboard and you'll be able to play any chord you want anywhere on the neck just by knowing the chord formula. A lot less to memorize that way.

WickedBadz
11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Look. I'm not on here to fight with children who want to defend their purchase. Other than this one complaint, I am extremely impressed with the game. But it's a pretty significant complaint.

Put it this way. One of the most basic and commonly used tools of playing real guitar are power chords. All you need to know to play them is the basic handshape and the note on the fret board to start on. For example to play a "c" power chord, I make my power chord hand shape and start on the 3rd fret of the 5th (A) string. - (I had to look that up - I was hoping this game would help me memorize such things.) From what I can tell, it isn't going to be very good at teaching you things like that - and they are some of the most fundamental building blocks in guitar playing.

If somebody asks you to play an "F#" on a guitar, you should know where that is. You should know where several "f#"s are on the fretboard. I would consider that a pretty basic and primary skill of guitar playing. From what I'm seeing so far out of this game - they totally missed that or at least didn't focus on it as much as they could have.

Like I said. Not on here to argue. I'm on here to raise as much fuss about what I believe should be a simple fix - that either they update this game, or fix it for future releases. Other than that, so far, game well done.
It's really very simple to learn the notes on a guitar, they simply just keep repeating themselves down the fretboard and change octaves. As far as arguing with children you're asking for the notehighway to be over bloated with data that isn't needed there. Seriously, learn the notes yourself, it's rather simple

aetherech0s
11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
The game is giving you all you need. If you feel the need to broaden your knowledge and skill in certain departments then look elsewhere and practice outside the game.

vapedg13
11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
A good base for beginners...is to memorise your root notes on your low E and A strings.....Powr Chords are rooted off these 2 strings

Remember there is 1 fret inbetween all notes excpet e f and b c those are the next fret

Low E String

Open string E....1st fret F...3rd G... 5th A... 7th B... 8th C... 10th D.... back to 12th fret..E

then know your chord shapes...

power chords have the same shapes.

major & minor bar chords have the same shapes..you just shift your root note

If you want to play a A major bar chord or pwer chord... you root off the 5th Fret A with a major chord shape or pwer cord shape....shift that same shape to the 3rd fret and its a G major

chris_colquitt
10-28-2013, 02:53 PM
It should... but sadly doesn't. I'm using Rocksmith alongside lessons and grades and completely agree. The ability to switch note names on and off would be a massive help. Exactly as has been said before, I'm not playing yellow 3rd, I'm playing C.

Have you gotten into the mini-games and technique challenges? They do a pretty good job of getting deeper into the kind of stuff you are looking for. I haven't unlocked the scale trainer yet, but I'm guessing that it will help with note names from what I've seen from the other stuff.

Dillerin
10-28-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't see why so many people are so negative about this request/complaint, to me it seems obvious that people could benefit from seeing the notes that are presented to us in color... for instance, in session mode, simply filling in the color of notes that can be played as full chords is pretty useless if you do not know what the actual note is they are referencing via a color. I've been having to transpose the scale shape to a printed out picture of the fret board with the notes displayed in order to figure out what chords will sound good during my session mode. I don't think it'd be overwhelming to see a letter within the color boxes of each note... perhaps even an option to turn it off for those who think it'd be too cluttered, or for those who don't care to learn more than necessary.

pulpsmack
10-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Knowing the note names is kind of crucial to playing an instrument outside of the video game world. I thought that learning guitar for the real world was the whole premise of this game.

If you go try to join a band and you ask somebody how a part goes, they're not going to tell you "Red string 3rd fret" "Yellow string second fret" etc... They're going to say "A, C, D, E, etc."

You'd be surprised actually. Most I have encountered IS that. :p

I don't even understand what you want... You want there to be

E
A
D
G
B
E

added to the interface next to the guitar?

Why?

Red = E
Yellow = A
Blue = D
Orange = G
Green = B
Purple = High E

there you have your "note names"

You aren't learning sheet music you are learning a different way of using "tablature"

Hard to believe you can't follow his point, which is a rather valid one. The R Y B O G P have an implied E A D G B E designation but it would take some slow deduction to figure out that the 3rd fret of a yellow string is C. If there was a C in the yellow block you would be able to read it BOTH as tab (since it is a block in the 3 fret as indicated by the markers below) and by its true note. This would be a very useful feature to help a newer player associate the sound with the actual note value. Hearing a note 250 times and associating it with a green 5 is not going to help the player associate that the sound is E.

It also would be/have been easy enough to make that feature ON/OFF switchable for players who find the little letter in the note box distracting.

Gold_Jim
10-28-2013, 03:39 PM
There are two schools of thought when reading and writing for guitar - standard notation and tablature. The game uses tablature, so you don't get the names of the notes. That's not just Rocksmith, that's industry wide. Look at Guitar World and you'll find the same.

I've been playing guitar for over 40 years. I've been lead singer, bassist, guitarist and any combination. I currently play in a successful cover band. This game is not meant to teach you theory. They don't claim to. It teaches you songs and mechanics. No more than a baseball player is expected to enter the major leagues without rudiments, the same goes for a guitarist. This is a single tool in your tool box. Even if the notes were laid out for you, the theory as to what the relationship is between the notes and why particular notes are used in particular passages is still necessary to understand them.

Why do you need theory to build a song? If you're creating music, unless you're writing music outside of a 3 or 4 piece band that's rehearsing the songs together, it's not going to help you one bit. Am I the bearer of that bad news? You need to play what you hear. A song typically begins with a demo and moves to something more organic once other musicians come in and flesh it out with you. Session Mode in RS 2014 will be your best songwriting tool. Once you have some of the rudiments, you can start using them in a virtual band environment. You can't hit a home run until you can bat the ball of a tee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZczqBza7ac

toymachinesh
10-28-2013, 03:47 PM
It's Rocksmith not MusicTheorySmith guys! /s

muscular_tiger
10-28-2013, 03:55 PM
This would be ridiculous because of all the alternate tunings, the notes will change from song to song, so it's not useful for a beginner.

pulpsmack
10-28-2013, 04:04 PM
This would be ridiculous because of all the alternate tunings, the notes will change from song to song, so it's not useful for a beginner.

Well they already do this with chords in RS '14 so your point is moot.

Dillerin
10-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm still not seeing the argument against a simple feature such as labeling each note on the fret board along with the color code. Sure, everything rocksmith teaches can be found somewhere else, so why is there even a rocksmith? It's silly to say that you can learn notes names somewhere else when you can learn it all somewhere else.

If you don't find it of use to you, then that's fine, but just because you can not see the benefit of Rocksmith adding note names as an option doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Just because you can learn it somewhere else isn't a good defense either.

I've learned from several guitar playing friends, that if you learn something the wrong way, it'll take you twice as long to learn it the right way... yet here we all are, trying to defend learning strings and notes by colors created for a game instead of how the rest of the world views notes. I don't get it.

Gold_Jim
10-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Speaking of the alternate tuning, they stepped outside the norm again by naming chords by their tuned sound rather than their position. For example, if I tune down 1/2 step to Eb and I play a G chord at the third fret, standard tab books will still read "G". Same when you use a capo. They don't say that a G shape is Bb when I put the capo on the 3rd fret, they just say, "All notes sound blah blah higher (or lower) than written." Open a copy of Guitar World and take any song that's tuned alternatively in any given month over the last 30 years or so of their existence, and that's what you'll find. They don't turn G into Gb, they just tab and write "G". This goes for every book I've read for years. Unless I'm playing in a big band or orchestral environment, that's always been the case.

Take it also from someone who site reads. The notes are immaterial when referring to tablature. Standard notation (musical staff) has a reference line which would not exist on the note highway. If I say play "E", are you going to play an open E, E at the 2nd fret of the D string, E at the 7th fret of the A string, E at the 12th fret of the E string, E open on the high E string, E at the 12th fret of the high E string, E at the 5th fret of the B string, E at the 19th fret of the A strting?... and so on. What if I tune down? Wait, now the E string, 12th fret is D or is it Eb or C or B? Standard notation has its place, but this is truthfully not it.

Rocksmith is trying hard to show you how to play a song the way that it was played originally. It's a best guess, but it will be pretty darned close. When it comes to playing a particular note on a specific fret of a certain string, that's based on tone and what notes follow. Those come from rudiments, and RS is teaching you those.

Gold_Jim
10-28-2013, 04:48 PM
All that said, when I do the "Theory behind..." or "In depth look..." posts, I do post the notes. But that's for a different reason. I refer to the notes because I'm providing the theory and relationship within a given key, chord or mode. If I'm just flying through the solo of 25 or 6 to 4 as it blazes by on the note highway, I'm just looking for relative fretboard positions. If I'm going to break it down and explain it to someone, I freeze frame and analyze each piece then provide an explanation as to how it works within the context of a given part.

Maybe the notes would be a good option for about 5 minutes, but believe me, you'll look past them soon enough. That said, if they have it and they give it, it won't hurt anyone if it's an option. If it's an always on thing, they'd lose a lot of people with it.

Dillerin
10-28-2013, 05:03 PM
I agree that during 'play a song' you'll have no time to consider the note that you are playing. But when working lessons, jamming in session mode, or when playing guitarcade, They could help out a lot. Many people don't know that an open chord is built up of only 3 notes, (is it 1,3, & 5 of the root?) How can you build a relationship of chords with only colors?

I really would like this note naming feature for session mode, as I don't know what chords are compatible with what key the song is played in. I noticed that they turn the notes solid if the rest of the band is playing certain chord progressions, but that doesn't help me if I don't know what note the green string on the 6th fret is.

Gold_Jim
10-28-2013, 05:18 PM
I agree that during 'play a song' you'll have no time to consider the note that you are playing. But when working lessons, jamming in session mode, or when playing guitarcade, They could help out a lot. Many people don't know that an open chord is built up of only 3 notes, (is it 1,3, & 5 of the root?) How can you build a relationship of chords with only colors?

I really would like this note naming feature for session mode, as I don't know what chords are compatible with what key the song is played in. I noticed that they turn the notes solid if the rest of the band is playing certain chord progressions, but that doesn't help me if I don't know what note the green string on the 6th fret is.

I wholeheartedly agree that there are good times to do this. In the lesson "Chords" for example. Maybe a 201 "How to spell a chord". A major chord is 1-3-5, a minor is 1-flat 3-5, a 7 is... They might also add a lesson for intervals, modes, and scales.

Your second paragraph is what haunts guitarists of several levels. What's the right note for this? It actually depends on the song. In one song, I might use certain notes over Dm that in another would sound completely off. Why? Because the Dm chord might be used in a progression in the key of F or I might be playing in Dm. What if I'm in Am? Is the song sad? Is the song in a major feel. Dm is not always the saddest of all chords (Spinal Tap reference). Can I play major notes over minor chords? Sure, they do it in southern rock and country tunes all the time. When is it right? That's all context. What about dissonance so that I can create tension in a song? This stuff is not as easy as "In Bm, play these notes" no more than in the English language is it always easy to figure out what word works correctly in a sentence in order to present your thoughts clearly. Music is a language, and speaking it is more about the ears than about the eyes.

Dillerin
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Your second paragraph is what haunts guitarists of several levels. What's the right note for this? It actually depends on the song. In one song, I might use certain notes over Dm that in another would sound completely off. Why? Because the Dm chord might be used in a progression in the key of F or I might be playing in Dm. What if I'm in Am? Is the song sad? Is the song in a major feel. Dm is not always the saddest of all chords (Spinal Tap reference). Can I play major notes over minor chords? Sure, they do it in southern rock and country tunes all the time. When is it right? That's all context. What about dissonance so that I can create tension in a song? This stuff is not as easy as "In Bm, play these notes" no more than in the English language is it always easy to figure out what word works correctly in a sentence in order to present your thoughts clearly. Music is a language, and speaking it is more about the ears than about the eyes.

Isn't Rocksmith trying to show you which chords CAN work with the band in session mode and what they are currently playing by shading in the notes on the scale? The shaded in notes change frequently, and this is due to the band and what they are currently playing. Not knowing these shaded notes by name prevents you from understanding what chords should sound OK with the song at that time. Since it's a learning tool, grasping common chord progressions for learning rhythm seems appropriate to me, and hopefully in time, and with some experimentation, you may find good sounds in uncommon progressions.
I do like your idea of lesson mode having some information on this issue though... I'd take that and maybe just a noted fretboard for session mode.

Xx El Kino xX
10-28-2013, 06:24 PM
you can always look up a diagram of a fretboard with all the notes of every fret.

Dillerin
10-28-2013, 06:56 PM
you can always look up a diagram of a fretboard with all the notes of every fret.

Currently this is what I am doing... but would be a ton better if the notes were displayed on the tv so I don't have to look off to the side and find out where I'm looking on a fretboard, then back to my hands, then back to the tv. But yes, there is a solution to this problem that does not require Rocksmith to do anything more for their user base.

Kynlore
10-28-2013, 11:40 PM
I'd like to see someone play Cliffs of Dover with note names instead of blocks.

leftnutted
10-29-2013, 12:10 AM

I'm pretty happy with the navigation compared to RS1. Are you playing on the PC? ESC or mouse right-click generally takes you to a previous menu.

pulpsmack
10-29-2013, 12:29 AM
I'd like to see someone play Cliffs of Dover with note names instead of blocks.

Moot point. Barring the best sight-reading virtuosos, you are committed to muscle memory with that complex song. Regardless, you miss the point. The "note name" wouldn't replace the block, It would reside within. Enter the chorus of "Well that's useless trying to discern an Eb from a D on a 180 BPM solo". Sure it is (as are blocks for the most part at this point).

The usefulness of this is while you are in riff repeater, replaying that troublesome phrase of the Trooper solo at 50% speed for the 65th time and you see the names to all 18 notes 65 times. In that grueling 2 hours you have walked away with the knowledge of the "treble" notes between the 12th and the 19th on the fretboard locked into memory, not to mention know which notes are and are not present which can help you deduce by eye which key the song is in (which later can help you deduce it by ear). It becomes all the more powerful with that static fretboard in session mode.

Kynlore
10-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Moot point. Barring the best sight-reading virtuosos, you are committed to muscle memory with that complex song. Regardless, you miss the point. The "note name" wouldn't replace the block, It would reside within. Enter the chorus of "Well that's useless trying to discern an Eb from a D on a 180 BPM solo". Sure it is (as are blocks for the most part at this point).

The usefulness of this is while you are in riff repeater, replaying that troublesome phrase of the Trooper solo at 50% speed for the 65th time and you see the names to all 18 notes 65 times. In that grueling 2 hours you have walked away with the knowledge of the "treble" notes between the 12th and the 19th on the fretboard locked into memory, not to mention know which notes are and are not present which can help you deduce by eye which key the song is in (which later can help you deduce it by ear). It becomes all the more powerful with that static fretboard in session mode.

Moot point? The whole thread is moot.

listomoro
10-29-2013, 01:15 AM
The game does display note names, just not in the note tracks. Go into the Tools/Pause menu. There's a little doohicky in the lower left corner. Play a note, and it tells you what note you're playing.

mikejl46
10-30-2014, 05:08 AM
I would also like to see notes instead of numbers, or be able to switch between notes or numbers. Will it ever happen???

OOORiverRatOOO
01-01-2015, 08:45 AM
I just picked up Rocksmith last week and over all its decent in the way its getting me playing but im in the same camp .

Ive been trawling through the menu's to get notes instead of the lame tab so i can start to build a picture of music itself by joining the dots so to speak.

Along side notes being an option to replace tabs I could also use a chord notification to see what chord im doing lead to again so i can piece it all together.

Was hoping there'd be a patch already to fix this absolute need .

Give us these options please!

notMikeH
01-01-2015, 01:03 PM
I feel like seeing the notes on the fretboard during session mode would be a nice option.

OOORiverRatOOO
01-01-2015, 07:26 PM
The game does display note names, just not in the note tracks. Go into the Tools/Pause menu. There's a little doohicky in the lower left corner. Play a note, and it tells you what note you're playing.

This is about as useful as having a tuner stuck on the end of your guitar.

Its a no brainier that notes are needed in place of tabs in game as an option. So easy as well to provide the option i just don't understand how they've missed it.

For me its the diference between wanting to play and not because i dont want to go down the path of tabs after realizing what a waste of time it was musically 20 odd years ago.

ROckSmith 2014 = Lame Duck

The_Working_Man
01-01-2015, 08:20 PM

Its a no brainier that notes are needed in place of tabs in game as an option. So easy as well to provide the option i just don't understand how they've missed it.

For me its the diference between wanting to play and not because i dont want to go down the path of tabs after realizing what a waste of time it was musically 20 odd years ago.

1. Welcome to the Rocksmith forums! :)

2. Look at the age of the thread you've dug up. If the game developers agreed that this was an absolute need then you're right, it would have been done by now. After 20 yrs you've probably already figured out which notes are which on the fretboard, so you might need to accept that this is primarily a teaching program for beginners or people that just want to play the songs.

toymachinesh
01-02-2015, 01:42 AM

Better read some music theory then and leave us to our lame duck. Bye

Garrett_x50_cal
01-02-2015, 05:18 AM

mikejl46
02-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Yes I Know, it will never happen, Rock Smith adding notes.

I already know all the notes on the fretboard anyway.

If I know all the notes on the fretrboard I just have to remember E and I can play the E any where I want, but with numbers I have different versions of the E, like blue 2, yellow 7, open red, so I have to remember different colors and numbers for the same note.

Sometimes I would just like to play a different E, then the one Rocksmith wants me to play, but have try and remember and convert the different number color versions to the E as they come down the highway.

Oh well. I'm just sad Rock Smith doesn't have note letters as an option.

rcole_sooner
02-03-2015, 10:45 PM
The note names they do show throw me off.

Well, in the non-standard tuning they do. I know where the Ab chord is, it is on the 4th fret, not on the 5th fret.

:p

MAng0r3
02-03-2015, 11:25 PM
I already know all the notes on the fretboard anyway.

If I know all the notes on the fretrboard I just have to remember E and I can play the E any where I want, but with numbers I have different versions of the E, like blue 2, yellow 7, open red, so I have to remember different colors and numbers for the same note.

Sometimes I would just like to play a different E, then the one Rocksmith wants me to play, but have try and remember and convert the different number color versions to the E as they come down the highway.

A bit contaradictory.......i know the fretboard and i don't need no number or color code do find any notes even those who have the same pitch on different strings.

_Learn all notes up to 5th fret open string included on the 6th string (Red :P)
_then Learn Octave shapes(fingerings) used in guitar playing and you'll learn all the notes on the fretboard in no time.
_A litlle standard notation reading could help a lot too ;) or else why bother learning the notes.

http://www.guitarhabits.com/wp-content/uploads/octaves.jpg

The last block is a 2 octave shape not really necessary.

mikejl46
02-03-2015, 11:43 PM
I play bass, I use this site quite often http://chordify.net/chords/kensington-home-again-official-video-kensingtonband

I like how this site shows me the chords, but it doesn't show all the notes I should be playing when playing the bass. I find it easier to play to with the notes.

but then I am a beginner and have a lot to learn.

MAng0r3
02-04-2015, 12:58 AM
I play bass, I use this site quite often http://chordify.net/chords/kensington-home-again-official-video-kensingtonband

I like how this site shows me the chords, but it doesn't show all the notes I should be playing when playing the bass. I find it easier to play to with the notes.

but then I am a beginner and have a lot to learn.

Only 3 octave shape to learn in Bass playing (4 strings)