PDA

View Full Version : IL2 FB / ACE / PF copy protection rant.

no_good_id_left
05-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Agrh, for the first time since several years I have a time and urge to play some games, well off I go to the local store and pick myself an CH stick combo + IL2 FB, ACEs and PF CDs.

Come home happy and begin installing the games, already while installing ACEs I encounter the first problem of ACEs telling me that FB is not installed, which turns out to be a part of complex "Copy protection" scheme. Once this is resolved by adding approproate registry entries, I go ahead to install all other components.

Eager to play I doubleclick the icon and after some waiting receive "CD/DVD emulation software detected" message, WTF? Yep, this is my workstation and I have some CD related apps. Apparently some of those apps come with CD emulation, but none of those has it enabled. After some struggle I do a stupid step of deinstalling the tools from the machine, reboot and the game starts up.

So, I hope that all the problem is solved and I can play on weekends while reinstalling my CDr tools on the weekdays. NOP, my roaming profile gets overwritten by the older version from another machine and finds its way on the workstation. IL2 would not start again with the same "Emulation detected" message. How nice, copy protection schemes seem to check vs the registry of the user and not machine. I have no CDR tools installed anymore and yet game claims I do.

So I lost about 3 hours of my life on screwing around with copy protection mechanisms in the game I paid money for, I STILL cannot play it, while someone who gets the game off edonkey gets it with full crack and can play without problems, reboots or reconfigs. Who is the idiot here?

What happened to Software industry nowdays? Don't people learn, that all those rediculous copy protection mechanisms are mostly probem to honest buyers of the software? A pirat will always get his ISO+crack and will be playing while the buyer is screwing around with his original CDs. The only efficient way to protect your games would be a serious online content which would require an account. Anything else is just a pure harrasment of honest buyers.

Some games even begin to install software which "policies" your own machine (Silent Hunter III), way to go publishers!

Kirill

no_good_id_left
05-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Agrh, for the first time since several years I have a time and urge to play some games, well off I go to the local store and pick myself an CH stick combo + IL2 FB, ACEs and PF CDs.

Come home happy and begin installing the games, already while installing ACEs I encounter the first problem of ACEs telling me that FB is not installed, which turns out to be a part of complex "Copy protection" scheme. Once this is resolved by adding approproate registry entries, I go ahead to install all other components.

Eager to play I doubleclick the icon and after some waiting receive "CD/DVD emulation software detected" message, WTF? Yep, this is my workstation and I have some CD related apps. Apparently some of those apps come with CD emulation, but none of those has it enabled. After some struggle I do a stupid step of deinstalling the tools from the machine, reboot and the game starts up.

So, I hope that all the problem is solved and I can play on weekends while reinstalling my CDr tools on the weekdays. NOP, my roaming profile gets overwritten by the older version from another machine and finds its way on the workstation. IL2 would not start again with the same "Emulation detected" message. How nice, copy protection schemes seem to check vs the registry of the user and not machine. I have no CDR tools installed anymore and yet game claims I do.

So I lost about 3 hours of my life on screwing around with copy protection mechanisms in the game I paid money for, I STILL cannot play it, while someone who gets the game off edonkey gets it with full crack and can play without problems, reboots or reconfigs. Who is the idiot here?

What happened to Software industry nowdays? Don't people learn, that all those rediculous copy protection mechanisms are mostly probem to honest buyers of the software? A pirat will always get his ISO+crack and will be playing while the buyer is screwing around with his original CDs. The only efficient way to protect your games would be a serious online content which would require an account. Anything else is just a pure harrasment of honest buyers.

Some games even begin to install software which "policies" your own machine (Silent Hunter III), way to go publishers!

Kirill

FI-Aflak
05-29-2005, 11:25 AM
i've never had a problem with this which is funny cause I have and use Daemon tools (A CD mounting program) . . . . . .

btw, you should post this in the tech support forum.

Monson74
05-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I run FB/AEP/PF (which I paid for) on a machine containing similar software that seems to cause you trouble but I have no probs. We are not allowed to discuss ways to overcome copy protection on these forums & I suggest you get in contact with the publishers of your CDr software & those at UBIs Tech Support. Hope you get it sorted & welcome to the world of IL2.