PDA

View Full Version : Navigation?

wishbone9901
03-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Please tell me how you navigate in this game. Does this mean i have to pay attention to my heading and surroundings, or is there another way?

Klemm.co
03-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Use the minimap with one difficulty option disabled so you can see where you are on the map.
If that is too arcade for you, ask per the radio menu for the direction to base/target.
In some planes there is also a needle on the compass that points to the next waypoint, the Bf-109 and FW 190 for example and i believe some USN planes too.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by wishbone9901:
Does this mean I have to pay attention to my heading and surroundings,...?

On most servers...yes. Many servers don't have minimap path turned on requiring the pilots to navigate with compass and using visual waypoints.

... or is there another way?

As stated already. Offline, make sure you have your minimap path turned ON. Online, look for a server that has it turned on as well. With minimap path, you won't get all the enemy aircraft icons on your map, but you will at least have your aircraft's icon for navigation purposes.

Schwarz.13
03-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I have also had trouble navigating on Full-Switch servers. I recently played an Eastern Front map call Red Dawn (or something similar) in which the entire map was just a mass of little waterways - VERY confusing and disorientating; i found it almost impossible to use landmarks.

Also - at the risk of sounding stupid, can someone explain (or provide a link) exactly how a Repeater compass works???

K_Freddie
03-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Photographic memory and remembering key points, like river bends.. always helps.
The time of day, sun position.. etc

You know these things! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FI-Skipper
03-11-2008, 01:19 PM
It's possible to work it out by estimating the distance to where you're travelling and using your average speed and then using a watch to time:

[Distance(km)/Speed(kph)]/60 = Time (in minutes)

ImMoreBetter
03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
If you don't have a mini map, follow rivers, or use your compass to make 90 degree turns and jump from way-point to way-point.

wishbone9901
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
well if i want to navigate by map, how do i turn it on/ print it off?

qlc1
03-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Please tell me how you navigate in this game. Does this mean i have to pay attention to my heading and surroundings, or is there another way?
i read in this form somewhere that some one out there has figured out how to use the il2 star system,me i use the mini map

FoolTrottel
03-15-2008, 04:16 AM
The M key opens it up, and closes it.

The game has no Print-map functionality.

In my sig is a link to 'Missprint', a utility with which you can print the briefing screen.

Have Fun!

BWaltteri
03-15-2008, 04:17 AM
You have to learn the terrain tree by tree. Real life pilots obviously did that.

qlc1
03-15-2008, 05:04 PM
all of these methods stand true in the real world.
but for those of us who dont have the ducks guts of computers and grafics cards,the mini map is the only way.
a fella cant navigate by following tree lines ,roads, fences,hills,city lights(witch stand out like dogs balls at night,from miles away)rock formations,and a million other things that you cant get in the game.
those that are in the game,magically appear after the nose has covered it up.i cant see most roads unless i am under 400ft and looking directly down onto it.
i need the map mainly because my pc cant keep up with my planes

Wild.Bill.Kelso
03-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Klemm.co:
In some planes there is also a needle on the compass that points to the next waypoint, the Bf-109 and FW 190 for example and i believe some USN planes too. Isn't there also a way to switch to the next waypoint? I remember telling my wingmen to go to the Next Waypoint using radio commands, and I think in the minimap path the nav line jumped from the current waypoint it was pointing to, to the next one. But that was a while ago, so I don't remember for sure.

Also, can the radar in some planes be used at all? Or maybe for navigating?

GIAP.Shura
03-16-2008, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by qlc1:
all of these methods stand true in the real world.
but for those of us who dont have the ducks guts of computers and grafics cards,the mini map is the only way.
a fella cant navigate by following tree lines ,roads, fences,hills,city lights(witch stand out like dogs balls at night,from miles away)rock formations,and a million other things that you cant get in the game.
those that are in the game,magically appear after the nose has covered it up.i cant see most roads unless i am under 400ft and looking directly down onto it.
i need the map mainly because my pc cant keep up with my planes

They all stand true in the game as well (with the exception of fences and rock formations). Although the concrete roads are hard to discern above 600m, all roads can be seen up to 1,500m. At higher altitudes start to use river features and forests as your landmarks.

I've never had a screaming rig and have never had any problem with popup of navigation features. Instead of trying to navigate by what is in front of you and under your nose, navigate using features that are on your 10 and your 2, where you can see the ground.

Wild Bill, yes, there is a command under navigation (Next Waypoint). In planes with navigation tools (SBD, Pe-2 for instance) this will set the instrument to the next point.

M_Gunz
03-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wishbone9901:
The M key opens it up, and closes it.

The game has no Print-map functionality.

In my sig is a link to 'Missprint', a utility with which you can print the briefing screen.

Have Fun! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had printed maps where someone had gone into FMB and made screenies then cut the borders.

EDIT: IRL from 8000 ft it still takes work learning an area from above even when you've spent
10+ years driving in that same place. IRL the ground is very cluttered from 8000 ft!

With paper map in hand I can in time figure out where I am in IL2 by rivers and mountains as
my major landmarks, towns/cities/concrete airports as secondary. It's a bit like map and
compass to locate yourself on the ground except you don't have a Lensatic and you're not
standing still so rough appx is what you get.