PDA

View Full Version : How close

doogerie
06-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Do you open fire I try to get within 70m for fighters 100m for bombersi was going to get my first online kill last night but i got killed outright didn't even see the guy coming

na85
06-01-2009, 02:00 AM
70m is really close. I usually set convergence (and fire) at 150m

If I'm specifically hunting bombers I'll set convergence out to 400 or 300m because AI gunners have mad hax.

Gibbage1
06-01-2009, 03:09 AM
If your firing at bombers, your WAY WAY too close. Get NO MORE then 150-200M away. If it looses a wing, or makes a sudden move, you have 0 reaction time, and the gunners are snipers.

ytareh
06-01-2009, 03:27 AM
100m is my convergence distance but of course that doesnt mean you cant do useful shooting further out especially with noseguns ...In fact while its hardly an exact science sometimes shooting way out with short convergence can cause the shells to have a sideways/diagonal/slashing effect which can be useful -eg its generally better to spray towards the engine from the rear at an angle rather than just pumping gunfire into the rear fuselage which can be futile particularly in the likes of the Buffalo

TinyTim
06-01-2009, 03:51 AM
Never stop checking your 6, not even when you are seconds away from opening fire at your pray. Kills are good, but staying alive is more important.

As for convergence distance - versus fighters I use 100 - 120m, and never fire beyond 200m (unles I'm sniping with nose mounted guns). For bombers 250m, and never close more than 200m, then break away (up usually). Like others said, gunners are terminators!

Gadje
06-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Hmmm!
I've never gotten near convergence to work for me much. Maybe its about style of flying?, not too sure!.
Close convergence and firing close works well for sneaking up behind/below a bandit that doesn't see you but where I fly not many people are stupid or inexperienced enough to let you get within 100m for an easy shot http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif.

It does happen, we all forget to check six at times. However then the other problem with shooting that close with excess speed is collision or the explosion of the bandit plane hitting you.
Furballs might work- where you're all turning within 100m of your target.

I find if I wait to get really close on a bandit I'm fighting, I'm wasting time and making me vulnerable to other enemies. So it's shoot your first chance which without surprise on your side involves gaining angles, meaning a very hard deflection shot or taking a blind snap shot. Both work best for me around 300m depending on my guns. They are low percentage shots but can cripple or at worst put mental pressure on your opponent. Getting an early hit is what I look for here.
It can be a pain when I do get close behind him as you see you bullets whizz over http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif but its usually over by then anyway and if I'm going to win the fight I shouldn't need to get to that point.

I guess its best to try various and see, everyone does in the end.

I'm changing them between planes these days, just to confuse further!. I can't say I'm sure its proved any better, maybe I've got used to it more.
But here it is for me-

early planes 50cal/303's - about 250
later plane 50 cals(faster flying speed) 290
20mm nose - 300
20mm wing -300-400 (some like zero drop a lot!)
190- 350-450
30mm- 500-700
37mm- 700-1000 (lob them on target)

The really high convergence on the heavy cannon are there to compensate for their drop for deflection shots.

Odemkirtariy
06-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim:
Never stop checking your 6, not even when you are seconds away from opening fire at your pray. Kills are good, but staying alive is more important.

That's why we should never fight without a wingman, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Ba5tard5word
06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Guys what the heck do the numbers on the enemy data tag mean...you know, the tag that shows the enemy's type and distance...

What does 1 mean, 100 meters? 1 kilometer? At .1 an enemy is basically about to crash into me. I've tried setting convergence to 100m and I could see the bullets converging not far out from my nose.

I find I can hit fighters starting at .65 and bombers at about .95

TS_Sancho
06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Guys what the heck do the numbers on the enemy data tag mean...you know, the tag that shows the enemy's type and distance...

What does 1 mean, 100 meters? 1 kilometer? At .1 an enemy is basically about to crash into me. I've tried setting convergence to 100m and I could see the bullets converging not far out from my nose.

I find I can hit fighters starting at .65 and bombers at about .95

Whats an enemy data tag?
Sorry Ba5tard5word, I couldnt help myself.

To stay on topic 100 to 200 meters depending on aircraft I'm flying/fighting against and 400 meters for heavies.

BillSwagger
06-01-2009, 10:34 AM
1.00 = 1 kilometer or 1000 meters (distance tag)

So having your guns converge at 100M means they will converge at 0.10 on the tags. that seems too close for my style of fighting.

I have my MGs convergence at 400 meters and my cannon convergence set to 325 meters.

Its a good balance for closer encounters and still gives me a decent spread for longer shots on bombers and head on passes.

Ba5tard5word
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Whats an enemy data tag?

I couldn't think of a better name for it or the actual name for it. You know, the info thingy next to an enemy/allied plane that lists its distance, type and flight number etc.

1.00 = 1 kilometer or 1000 meters (distance tag)

Ok, thanks, that makes more sense.

I find 250 to be good for me which makes sense because I like to shoot the enemy around .2 to .35--close enough to get good hits, but far enough so if he makes drastic maneuvers I can keep an eye on him.

JtD
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
I usually set my convergence to 150-200 meters, 100 meters for some low velocity wing cannons I don't use from far away. This gives me an effective range of about 400 meters. I usually fire from very close if I get the chance, less than 100 meters. If I doubt I'll get the chance I'll fire from further away.

Getting close is usually worth it, you will hit much better, do more damage per hit and usually kill the opponent instead of just warn him.

general_kalle
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
200-250 is good convergence..it will allow you to fire at close range and still hit while also have the option to hit at ranges up to 250.

firing from farther is futile unless you have a nose cannon.

thefruitbat
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
How far away do i have to be, to not be blown up/take damage from my exploading target, that i've just shot up close, because i always seem to be to close. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

fruitbat

rnzoli
06-01-2009, 02:18 PM
try to fly within 70 centimeters, lean over and and cut off the elevator cables - done deal

staticline1
06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I just usually merge both aircraft together, guaranteed to get a kill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Ba5tard5word
06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
How far away do i have to be, to not be blown up/take damage from my exploading target, that i've just shot up close, because i always seem to be to close.

I've never had that problem--really it's rare to blow up a plane and generally I've come out unscathed. I try not to get too close because that tends to cause crashes, which often destroys my plane and causes my pilot to die or get captured while the enemy plane is still flyable and returns to base while going "nyahhhh" out the window.

One main problem is when I'm tailing an enemy right above ground level--if I blow off his wing and he crashes, if I'm not careful I'll fly over him just as he explodes and knocks out my engine.

WTE_Galway
06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
offline against bombers I tend to shoot from very close more like 20 metres than 50 metres but I am only there for a fraction of a second

yeah i know you can snipe bombers from 600 meters or more, especially in an a8 with in-wing 108's but that's no fun

generally i will start well above the bomber and begin by diving under the bomber and come up almost vertically underneath starting firing into the underside from about 100 m out timing it so I almost hit the tail as the bomber passes me by, overshoot and wingover back down to repeat from above, raking the bomber from nose to tail starting firing from about 100 metres and then dropping in almost on the tail of the bomber for a half second really close burst before breaking away to one side and below regaining height and doing it again

crucislancer
06-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by thefruitbat:
How far away do i have to be, to not be blown up/take damage from my exploading target, that i've just shot up close, because i always seem to be to close. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

fruitbat

The one that always gets me when this happens is the I-16. I think right around 100 meters or less he'll cause damage if he blows up. They tend to blow up alot.

I've never gotten near convergence to work for me much. Maybe its about style of flying?, not too sure!.

Convergence really is a personal preference. I like mine in the 200-300 meter range, but it depends on the plane. If I'm doing something like hunting bombers in a 190 I'll set it at 500 meters.

TinyTim
06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
On an exploding aircraft topic - I only have problems with Cr.42. Somehow, these biplanes are the only ones that I can consistently get to explode. Biplane matches are usually very close range tangling, so an exploding Fiat often dooms or at least cripples my beloved Gloster too.

DKoor
06-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I had few nasty I-16 mid-air disintegrations due to LMG/HMG work too... I specifically remember that these exploded after prolonged MC.200 and I.A.R.80 bursts from dead 6...

BillSwagger
06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I've never had an exploding plane cause me to explode, but i have flown into their debris.

There's not much you can do other than try to get a little more distance between you and the target. Its easier to get hits that way any how, because the closer they get the more correction is needed to keep them in the cross hairs.

Ba5tard5word
06-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Once I was blown up because I was hitting a bomber from way too close then dipped underneath him...he freaked out and dropped his torp, hitting me immediately... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Anyway, I find that Ki-27's take a lot of punishment from mg's before giving up the ghost, and are prone to blow up rather than setting on fire, in contrast to a Ki-43 which seems more prone to set on fire.

Ditto with Cr.42's now that I think about it--they do tend to blow up when hit a bunch.