PDA

View Full Version : FOV

Indianer.
02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I have been playing this game since the origional IL2 came out. But only today have i spent time messing around with the field of vision (FOV). I have decreased it (?) so that my head is closer to the instrument panel and gunsight....

wow, what a difference. This makes it so more realistic IMHO, as it actually feels as though u are in the cockpit.

what does everyone else think?

Indianer.
02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I have been playing this game since the origional IL2 came out. But only today have i spent time messing around with the field of vision (FOV). I have decreased it (?) so that my head is closer to the instrument panel and gunsight....

wow, what a difference. This makes it so more realistic IMHO, as it actually feels as though u are in the cockpit.

what does everyone else think?

prop-head
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Indianer,
Are you referring to the 2-position switching mode (I forget the hotkey, since I've long since mapped that function to a stick switch) where you're either "reclining" in the seat or hunching more forward to better line up your eye with the gunsight? If so, one is not actually changing the field of view (FOV), but changing the position of your virtual counterpart's head in the silicon cockpit. As for myself, I'll switch between them fairly frequently, but for the most part I keep my eye lined up on the gun sight. For some cockpits, though, the "reclining" view can be a bit better during general flight, and even while fighting.

Now, if you're referring to changing the FOV size within the sim's limits of 80 (or is it 85?) and 30 degrees, in 10 degree steps, then I'll say that I most often fly with the so-called "normal" 60 degree wide view. I almost NEVER go wider than that. And when lining up for the kill, I almost always go for the maximum zoom-in for better guns accuracy, going back to the 60 degree view when getting really close to the target. In fact, I pretty much always flip between the 60 and 30 degree views, not bothering with any other FOV setting.

In an earlier post, titled "Why Zooming The View Isn't Cheating", I pointed out that for the monitor resolution setting used by most players, the 30 degree FOV setting more closely matches the view scale which would be seen by a real pilot. This is because the usual viewing distance of a monitor has the screen subtend an angular width of about 25 to 30 degrees (unless one is half blind and almost rubs the screen with his nose). But flying all the time while zoomed in this much is like wearing blinders.

LEXX_Luthor
02-10-2005, 07:38 PM
To prop up prop-head, toggling gunsight view just moves your head near the gunsight (or to the telescopic sight like in Ki~43). But...the Zoom Views from 30 degree to 90 degree offer ways to zoom in. 90 degrees is very close to what you see in real life image size...but the image is chopped by the computer monitor of course. So we have Wide Zoom (90 degree) which lets us have wide field of vision. Actually, I think 120 degrees would be a better upper limit, and LOMAC lets you choose 120 degree field of view maximum.

Both Wide View and Zoom In View are needed to realistically simulate humanoid vision.

Wide View simulates the wide field of view our eyes have.

Zoom View simulates the fine detail our eyes can see in the center of our vision...where we are exactly looking.

Real life human vision has possibly the equivalent of 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 pixel resolution--spread out wall to wall wide and astronomically greater than even 1600x1200 computer vision. So the Zoom In View helps to simulate the fine detail we can see. But, our monitors cover much less area than we see with our eyes, so this is where Wide View simulates.

Until they make computer monitors that cover a wall and have million x million pixel resolution, we must switch between the two "features" of the human eye -- fine detail and wide field of view.

LEXX_Luthor
02-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Also, we suggest mapping Zoom View to 2 or 3 joystick buttons...your Choice of how many degrees of view.

I use 3 buttons...90 degree, 30 degree, and 60 degree for a "medium" view but I don't use that one too much.

Mapping Zoom View to a few joystick buttons makes the Zoom changes fast and effortless, and without having to look down at your keyboard at the Default key mappings.

Indianer.
02-10-2005, 11:32 PM
thanks for the replies.

I have mapped keys to increase and decrease FOV and have found that works best for me as 30,60,90 degrees differ depending which pit.

@ Prop...

i'll have a quick search for that post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif