PDA

View Full Version : Grey Wolves Deck Guns

wm4668
08-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Help - 2 problems with deck guns on TGW. Firstly, I never seem to get any AP ammo - not very useful if, like me, you've had some success wiping out Flowers and Armed Trawlers on early war convoys! Secondly, the HE appears to be about as powerful as a pop gun - 50 rounds plus to even dent a tramp steamer. I aim below the waterline whenever possible, and still the damned thing stays afloat. Any suggestions?

wm4668
08-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Help - 2 problems with deck guns on TGW. Firstly, I never seem to get any AP ammo - not very useful if, like me, you've had some success wiping out Flowers and Armed Trawlers on early war convoys! Secondly, the HE appears to be about as powerful as a pop gun - 50 rounds plus to even dent a tramp steamer. I aim below the waterline whenever possible, and still the damned thing stays afloat. Any suggestions?

Realjambo
08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
There are better qualified Kaleuns here than me, but I can tell you that AP ammo doesn't feature in GW - it was considered just not realistic enough.

Regarding the power of the deck gun, yes it does seem less powerful, the damage model for GW is a lot more precise than the stock game, and again, as in reality, few U Boats ever really sunk ships using only their deck guns.

As for suggestions, you 'could' edit the ammo config, but, I wouldn't know anything about that.

hueywolf123
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Based upon realism, the deck gun was a minor weapon for finishing the job. In reality it was wildly innaccurate due to the boats tendency to pitch and roll heavily and the weapons slightly shorter than normal muzzle.
In the GW mod, this is how it is, no AP only HE and it will take a good dozen or so to put them under.
Get on the gun yourself, after getting an approximate distance from your nav map. Zoom until your looking through the face piece on the gun, use your arrow keys up or down to match your approximate distance, then fire. You will then need to correct up or down untill you can hit the waterline. Pump several into the waterline @ the same spot, about 12 shots will do it. Pratice in the academy first, but hit them with a fish first.
BTW, GW mod is not intended for those who want 300k plus per patrol.

Werner_U-292
08-10-2006, 03:40 PM
A little advice: Considering you have hit a ship with a torp and its listing to one side, go around to the opposite side (the end which is out of the water more) and pop some shells into the hull. It should go down.

3.JG51_Molders
08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Don't aim for the part that was hit by the torpedo because that area is flooded/flooding, wait for a bit to see exactly how the ship reacts and aim for the parts of the waterline that are still above the water. After 20 hits that area should be flooded and the ship should be listing badly to one side, soon it will capsize.

Goose_Green
08-11-2006, 02:54 AM
GW's deck gun is now acting like the deck gun in the war - to finish the job started by torpedoes.

I have never engaged and sunk a single target larger than a Merchant with the gun alone.

If you play GW in the hope of high tonnage - forget it! Remember that many Kaleuns never sunk a single ship in all of their patrols, the NYGM damage model is now getting far more realistc.