PDA

View Full Version : New to the series...hatswitch viewing problems

Gottabe3
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Whew, why is this such a pain, instead of modeled like any other sim....grrr.

Ok, got that out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I really like the series, but how the hell can I get my CH Combatstick hatswitch to pan around the cockpit right ?

I want it to return to center, forward view when I release the hat, but it always ends up looking up, 45 degree angle.

Did a search, and saw the F9 key option....still does the above.

Saw various 3rd party programs....I really don't want to use another program for a simple, basic part of flight sims viewing for years.

Anyway, what's the trick ? How can I get my hatswitch to *always* switch to center view when I release it ?

bigbossmalone
06-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, Gottabe3, I use a Sidewinder Pro and have been for couple years now, but I have the reverse problem - if I use the hat, it always goes back to central position. A little bit disturbing if I'm trying to have a look around. There are a few options for you: I don't know too much about different joysticks, but you could always use the mouse(admittedly, a pain which would be sorted if we were all born with 3 hands!), if you're trying to follow another plane, the F4 button(Padlock) works a treat for me, lastly a lot of the guys use TrackIR which I haven;t tried yet, so I'm not too sure how it works - apparently works with a kind of headset which tracks with the movement of your head. It sounds pretty good, and I'm planning to go that route myself one of these days.
Sorry couldn't be more help, maybe someone else can do better...
May you have many months/years of happy flying ahead, the series is the definitive flight sim in my mind, no doubts! Welcome!

Iron_Hand1
06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
Do some more research in the settings...I've had my track IR a while so I can't remember, and I'm at work so I can't look....BUT.
There is a setting you can set to a keyboard button "toggle sight view" or something like that that will change the way your hat looks. On, it will leave it where you were at when you let go and off it will automatically return to center when you let go of the hat.
Hope that helps at least a little.

S~

Gottabe3
06-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by bigbossmalone:
Well, Gottabe3, I use a Sidewinder Pro and have been for couple years now, but I have the reverse problem - if I use the hat, it always goes back to central position. A little bit disturbing if I'm trying to have a look around. There are a few options for you: I don't know too much about different joysticks, but you could always use the mouse(admittedly, a pain which would be sorted if we were all born with 3 hands!), if you're trying to follow another plane, the F4 button(Padlock) works a treat for me, lastly a lot of the guys use TrackIR which I haven;t tried yet, so I'm not too sure how it works - apparently works with a kind of headset which tracks with the movement of your head. It sounds pretty good, and I'm planning to go that route myself one of these days.
Sorry couldn't be more help, maybe someone else can do better...
May you have many months/years of happy flying ahead, the series is the definitive flight sim in my mind, no doubts! Welcome!

Yeah, I know about the mouse, thanks. Not an option, in terms of ease of use imo.

Padlock is fine, but I want to pan around the cockpit, with me in control of it, instead of the game.

TrackIR would be nice, but with a mortgage and two kids, I have much more important things to spend $ on than that.

It's really frustrating...spent hours with it today, tried remapping all the views too.
Still the same.

I just don't understand how something that's been a flight sim basic feature for years, could be so fubared in this sim.

Makes the viewing system completely unusable.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

danjama
06-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned newview, its a excellent free utility, yeah its 3rd party but once its installed right u wouldnt no it was there, it just creates a dll. that sits in your game directory, simple! U can change every detail about it, from the speed it pans to the speed it returns to centre. Anyway if u wanna no more post back or PM me

Cossack13
06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Sounds as if you're talking about F9, which toggles between Pan & Snap view. Snap returns you to the centered front view when you release the hat while Pan leaves you where you last pointed.

Gottabe3
06-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Cossack13:
Sounds as if you're talking about F9, which toggles between Pan & Snap view. Snap returns you to the centered front view when you release the hat while Pan leaves you where you last pointed.

Well, that's just it; in snap or pan views, neither returns me to the center front view.

If I release the hatswitch in either pan or snap, from any view angle, the view then always goes to looking out the top of the cockpit.

Gottabe3
06-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by danjama:
I cant believe no one has mentioned newview, its a excellent free utility, yeah its 3rd party but once its installed right u wouldnt no it was there, it just creates a dll. that sits in your game directory, simple! U can change every detail about it, from the speed it pans to the speed it returns to centre. Anyway if u wanna no more post back or PM me

Sure, I'll try it thanks. Still hope there's an in-game option, but for now, I'll take newview.

Tully__
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
There is a control in the controls listed called "Toggle Snap/Pan View". The default control is F9 and as Cossack13 has stated, it switches between Snap (return to centre) and Pan (no return) modes.

Gottabe3, make sure you have a key assigned to this control and try it out the next time you're in a mission. It will have no effect unless you're actually in a mission. Press it once only then test your views, if it's not the way you like, press it once more. Further, if you have a multimedia keyboard with a shift/lock key for the Function keys (seperate to the alphanumeric shift function), make sure you haven't toggled the Function keys off.

bigbossmalone, same deal. Check what is assigned to the "Toggle Snap/Pan View" control (F9 by default), start a mission, press that control once then test your views.

bigbossmalone
06-23-2005, 06:45 AM
Silly me. Yeah, thanks, Tully.
Somewhere along the line I'd changed some of the F key settings, and changed back to default...all is hunky dory!! Can't believe I went as far as the forum before checking a basic option....could I be losiong my mind in the skies..???
I do like the sound of newview, though!
danjama, do you have a link to it?
Later all

horseback
06-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Try pressing your keypad's '8' key; that should have you looking straight ahead. If it doesn't stay in that view, I'd check my Combatstick in the Calibration function of Control Manager or in Windows Gamecontrollers' Properties. You may have a stuck or shorted section on your POV hat.

As for being able to look around in-cockpit using just the hatswitch, you might try experimenting with assigning Look Up and Look Down views to a HOTAS or keyboard button. That is what I did before turning to the TIR3 'dark side'.

Using these at the same time as you manipulate your POV hat will raise or lower your 'line of sight' 45 degrees. By the way, if you're using a Combatstick and a Pro Throttle, I strongly recommend moving the POV hat function to the Pro Throttle's POV hat. It's far easier to reach while you're maneuvering, and I put Look Up and Look Down on the left hand 'pinkie' buttons, for the raised or lowered lines of sight.

cheers

horseback