PDA

View Full Version : Rank and Squadron Position

XyZspineZyX
06-20-2003, 08:30 PM
I tried searching for a thread on this topic, but the server kicked me out due to the time taken. Apologies if this has already been debated.

I've been playing the single player Luftwaffe campaign in a BF-109 starting from Oberfeldwebel in 1941 (thanks for the tip to add the "CAMPAIGN=EASY" string to the config file, since the campaign was horribly historically inaccurate beforehand IMHO).

Interestingly, only when I reached Major did I get a wingman, and only now as Oberst do I get a flight. No sign of squadron command yet, even though I'm now the highest-ranking officer in the squadron!

I confess to not having researched Luftwaffe ranks and relative squadron positioning, but I would have imagined the following using RAF references:

Oberfeldwebel (Flight Sergeant) Wingman
Leutnant (Pilot Officer) Wingman
Oberleutnant (Flying Officer) Section Leader (with wingman)
Hauptmann (Flight Lieutenant) Flight Leader (with flight)
Major (Squadron Leader) Squadron Leader (with squadron)
Oberst (Wing Commander) At least Squadron Leader

I know one can't model the role of a Wing Commander or Group Captain in FB, but I would have expected more responsibility/authority with a lower rank than Major (Squadron Leader) - it seems odd to be flying as a wingman when one is a Hauptmann (Flight Lieutenant).

Purely academic discussion!

Russkly

XyZspineZyX
06-20-2003, 08:30 PM
I tried searching for a thread on this topic, but the server kicked me out due to the time taken. Apologies if this has already been debated.

I've been playing the single player Luftwaffe campaign in a BF-109 starting from Oberfeldwebel in 1941 (thanks for the tip to add the "CAMPAIGN=EASY" string to the config file, since the campaign was horribly historically inaccurate beforehand IMHO).

Interestingly, only when I reached Major did I get a wingman, and only now as Oberst do I get a flight. No sign of squadron command yet, even though I'm now the highest-ranking officer in the squadron!

I confess to not having researched Luftwaffe ranks and relative squadron positioning, but I would have imagined the following using RAF references:

Oberfeldwebel (Flight Sergeant) Wingman
Leutnant (Pilot Officer) Wingman
Oberleutnant (Flying Officer) Section Leader (with wingman)
Hauptmann (Flight Lieutenant) Flight Leader (with flight)
Major (Squadron Leader) Squadron Leader (with squadron)
Oberst (Wing Commander) At least Squadron Leader

I know one can't model the role of a Wing Commander or Group Captain in FB, but I would have expected more responsibility/authority with a lower rank than Major (Squadron Leader) - it seems odd to be flying as a wingman when one is a Hauptmann (Flight Lieutenant).

Purely academic discussion!

Russkly