PDA

View Full Version : Please Oleg... About map in cockpit view.

Tte_Costa
06-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi Oleg and 1c team.
Waching again the bonus 1946 DVD I sow a map in a box inside of the great WIP hurricane cockpit.
Could be possible for BOB to deploy the map on the knees ( I´m not asking to model de pilot ) "a la" SDOE?
Coul be nice allso if every time you open the map it points in the direcction you are heading, like you do in the real live...
For example: if you are flyng South and you open the map the norht of the map is pointing at you.
Sorry for my bad englis, hope you understand the idea.

Choctaw111
06-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Maps don't rotate with you in real life. It will always be pointed up, or North.
I do agree with seeing the map on your leg or some fixed place out of the way, maybe even on your seat, since nothing else has been there to date (like your rear end). I have thought about this many times and would be a great idea. Maybe even with an option to draw waypoints and other things, such as notes, on it before the mission. This should be fairly simple to do. Draw your waypoints and mission notes on the map using a simple in game interface and then a simple program saves the map with your notes and things on it as part of the "skin" and when you load up the mission, your map with your extra marks and waypoints and such will be there. Now you have a map with all the mission info you need whenever you want to look down at it. Needless to say this would really add to the immersion level.

mynameisroland
06-22-2007, 02:46 PM
having a map which you can draw on with your mouse cursor is an excellent idea.

Tte_Costa
06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
Maps don't rotate with you in real life. It will always be pointed up, or North.
Hi Choctaw111.
First of all sorry if I cant explane correctly in english, but...
Don´t you rotate the map depending on de direcction you need to go?
I´m not an expert in orientation but if I have to go south what I do is looking at south I point the North of the map to me so I see in the map what I´m gonna find in front of me, this way for me is easier to know if the road or river that I have to follow turs right or left.
P.D: The idea to draw in the map is great!

LEXX_Luthor
06-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Map on seat -- excellent idea for future sims. Thanks!

Also, a generic pilot watch showing game time placed on the seat pan, out of normal view, for planes where the cockpit clock is hidden behind the gunsight (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif), or if a plane didn't have a cockpit clock. Every pilot wore a watch. Just put it down in the seat so we can check time for proper missioneering.

Choctaw::
I do agree with seeing the map on your leg or some fixed place out of the way, maybe even on your seat, since nothing else has been there to date (like your rear end).
Agreed. Map should not rotate -- or at least make map rotation an Option, as the names on the map rotate also, although I'm sure some use maps differently than others. I never rotate a map, as I can easily visualize the geometry without doing that, and I don't like upside down names. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Choctaw111
06-22-2007, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:

Don't forget who thought of it... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

BrotherVoodoo
06-24-2007, 08:35 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif +1

Nice idea!

Skoshi Tiger
06-26-2007, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Tte_Costa:

When I was doing navigation training, (For use in light general aviation, a long, long time ago) we were told to draw our tracks on them map and fold the map so that you orientated the line of the track pointed towards the front of the aircraft.
The rational was that as you progressed along your track you picked up your chekpoints in the order that you were supposed to encounter them.

When you saw a object (Town, Road, Powerline, river) you glanced Down at your map and picked it up in the same relative position on the map.

DKoor
06-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by mynameisroland:
having a map which you can draw on with your mouse cursor is an excellent idea. +1000

Tte_Costa
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Skoshi Tiger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tte_Costa:

When I was doing navigation training, (For use in light general aviation, a long, long time ago) we were told to draw our tracks on them map and fold the map so that you orientated the line of the track pointed towards the front of the aircraft.
The rational was that as you progressed along your track you picked up your chekpoints in the order that you were supposed to encounter them.

When you saw a object (Town, Road, Powerline, river) you glanced Down at your map and picked it up in the same relative position on the map. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tx very much Skoshi Tiger to explane it in an easy way.

GADGET_101ECV
06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey there Choctaw111

Maps are in deed rotated for dead-recon navigation. That is called orienting the map.

Same goes for land navigation... you take the compass and put it on the map paralel to the datum N-S line, then rotate the map until the compas reads N.

When in flight, rotating the map depends on the size of the cockpit and the map, but it is a very important thing. To overcame the "size matters" limitation, professional fihgter pilots usually cut small portions of the E:1/250,000 maps of the zones the fly, and tape them together, but always ORIENTED in the direction of flight.

No te preocupes Costa, es una idea excelente. No hagas caso de los que no tienen NPI de lo que dicen.

Tte_Costa
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Gracias GADGET http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Choctaw111
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GADGET_101ECV:
Hey there Choctaw111

Maps are in deed rotated for dead-recon navigation. That is called orienting the map.

Same goes for land navigation... you take the compass and put it on the map paralel to the datum N-S line, then rotate the map until the compas reads N.

When in flight, rotating the map depends on the size of the cockpit and the map, but it is a very important thing. To overcame the "size matters" limitation, professional fihgter pilots usually cut small portions of the E:1/250,000 maps of the zones the fly, and tape them together, but always ORIENTED in the direction of flight.

Yes that is true, but YOU have to rotate it. I did plenty of map rotating in the Infantry, and was my preferred method. It does not just pop up in the direction you are traveling when you push the MAP key, or in this case, rotate on your knee while you are flying around. That is what I thought Tte_Costa was asking. I am sorry if I misunderstood the original question. I would love to be able to rotate the map on my own. The only question I have is how realistic is it, if a pilot had the map taped or fastened to his leg, would it be to unfasten it to rotate it? It just seems to me if I had a map fastened on my leg it would just stay put and I would have to use it without rotating it, like we have in Il2 now, BUT I would still like the option to rotate it if I wanted to, I just may not always want to. Maybe because I am so used to doing it the Il2 way for so long.
In any case I really don't think we will be getting "legs". I do believe we may get a map on the seat though. Let's hope so.

Skoshi Tiger
06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
The only question I have is how realistic is it, if a pilot had the map taped or fastened to his leg, would it be to unfasten it to rotate it? It just seems to me if I had a map fastened on my leg it would just stay put and I would have to use it without rotating it, like we have in Il2 now, BUT I would still like the option to rotate it if I wanted to, I just may not always want to. Maybe because I am so used to doing it the Il2 way for so long.
In any case I really don't think we will be getting "legs". I do believe we may get a map on the seat though. Let's hope so.[/QUOTE]

Thats the problem, It works really good if your going in long staight routes with only occasional turns and you know where you are.

If you end up lost or disoriented, you still have to unfold the map to find out where the hell you are. (Did they have GPS's in 1946? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)