PDA

View Full Version : New BoB skin format for better symbols

rockgardenlove
09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I would love to see a layered sim system for BoB that allows plane numbers and whatnot to put underneath the the dirt, scratches, and whatnot. Right now it looks really unrealistic how you can have a beautifully marred up skin, but have clear, new, flawless lettering on there. If you want a good looking result you basically have to turn off the symbols entirely and put the plane number and stuff in the skin...only problem is that now it doesn't match the proper position in the formation. So I propose a layered approach:

Background layer
Symbols layer
Dirt/wear layer
Reflection map (hoping BoB will have one)

This way the symbols will look more natural. You could use either a layered image format, or even two different images that the game compiles. The game will of course put the symbols between the background and the wear layer...

Whatcha all think? I can't imagine it would be too hard to do...

A reflection map would be nice too, so that you can specify which parts of the plane dynamically reflect the surroundings.

rockgardenlove
09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I would love to see a layered sim system for BoB that allows plane numbers and whatnot to put underneath the the dirt, scratches, and whatnot. Right now it looks really unrealistic how you can have a beautifully marred up skin, but have clear, new, flawless lettering on there. If you want a good looking result you basically have to turn off the symbols entirely and put the plane number and stuff in the skin...only problem is that now it doesn't match the proper position in the formation. So I propose a layered approach:

Background layer
Symbols layer
Dirt/wear layer
Reflection map (hoping BoB will have one)

This way the symbols will look more natural. You could use either a layered image format, or even two different images that the game compiles. The game will of course put the symbols between the background and the wear layer...

Whatcha all think? I can't imagine it would be too hard to do...

A reflection map would be nice too, so that you can specify which parts of the plane dynamically reflect the surroundings.

MaxMhz
09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
No game - literally.

Together with the increased skin dimensions of SoW series it would become too big and probably kill online play even with a fast connection. There are other and better ways to accomplish weathered airplane markings. I do hope 1C:M will drop the insane BMP format for skins.(Also too big for the task) You could try to persuade Aces to make something like MAT Manager for SoW, but I somehow think you won't be very successfull...

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2007, 04:08 PM
We nearly have this right now, with MAT manager