PDA

View Full Version : OT: funny segment about the T-72 on Discovery Channel

Rammjaeger
01-29-2008, 02:42 AM
From "10 Greatest Ever Tanks in the world" (from the very cheesy "10 Greatest Ever..." documentary series BTW):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SHWHjK2VsUo

"If Satan produced a tank, it would be the T-72."

WTF?

"The T-72 is a tank that was built by the Soviets to fight World War Three."

LMAO! Name a single type of weapon produced by either the Americans or the Soviets after 1945 that was NOT built to fight World War Three.

"It was a death trap like everything else the Russians built."

Tom Clancy at his truest indeed. He made similarly insightful remarks in the episode "10 Greatest Ever Fighters in the World".

I have to mention though that David Fletcher is a great guy, he was always featued in the "TANKS!" documentary series.

Breeze147
01-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Stop slamming The Discovery Channel and The History Channel. I, for one, was enthralled by "The History Of Lunch Meat". It's cool seeing the awful **** I shove down my throat!

Chris0382
01-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Didnt the T-72 get obsoleted in the first Iraq war causing Russia to design a new tank keeping it a bit more secret? But these may have been outdated versions.

Blood_Splat
01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I think it went obsolete by depleted uranium rounds.

Copperhead311th
01-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Blood_Splat:
I think it went obsolete by depleted uranium rounds.

Ladies and gennts....
Step right up....
BINGO! Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!

Sillius_Sodus
01-29-2008, 03:58 PM
It may not be the safest tank to fight in, but then again, if you have one less sabot round than there are T-72's coming after you, neither is your M1-A1, Challenger or Leopard 2. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Back in the day, the Warsaw Pact had LOTS of T-72's.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

leitmotiv
01-29-2008, 04:09 PM
T-72 was the Soviet Union's 1970s equivalent of the BT-5 of 1941---a good vehicle for canny Israeli, American, British, etc, tankers to use for target practice. An American tanker buddy of mine used to choke whenever we talked about the T-72. Pre-Gulf War '91 I was fretting the masses of Iraqi T-72s would matter. He laughed and said the Abrams would cream them. Well, they did by tearing into them at night. Imagine a cackbrained design which forced the commander to fight buttoned up because the smoke extractor wouldn't work with open hatches!

Muddy17
01-29-2008, 04:57 PM
A Tiger would cream a Sherman but not 10 Shermans.

Y0RGO
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Is fume problame...

YES? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Ra8JcY7k8&NR=1)

MarkSynthesis
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Wasn't the T-72 already being retired by the time the Abrams rolled around? Isn't this why the Soviets used the T-80/T-80UD?

American Abrams tanks running into Iraqi T-72s would be tantamount to Soviet T-80s running into under-maintained Israeli M60 Pattons with poorly trained crews: no damn challenge whatsoever. There's a similar time and technology gaps, if memory serves.

I'm not certain, but I think the T-72 was retired into the Soviet Motorized Rifle divisions, while the actual armor divisions tried to make the switch to the T-80.

In any case, the program sounds like utter ****, the rest of the Discovery Channel's "Top 10 _____ ". I mean, if Satan designed a tank? Talk about dramatic. If anything, that's probably what Sherman drivers thought of their pressure cookers on the Western Front.

leitmotiv
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
My ex-tanker buddy who did classified stuff later said the T-72 was the trash sold to gullible foreigners. The standard Sov tank was the more sophisticated T-64, and, later, the T-80.

leitmotiv
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Y0RGO:
Is fume problame...

YES? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Ra8JcY7k8&NR=1)

Tank crew KOed by fumes--now I've seen everything!

jarink
01-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by MarkSynthesis:
American Abrams tanks running into Iraqi T-72s would be tantamount to Soviet T-80s running into under-maintained Israeli M60 Pattons with poorly trained crews: no damn challenge whatsoever. There's a similar time and technology gaps, if memory serves.

+1

It's even worse when you consider the export versions of the T-72 lack some equipment (or have less sophisticated equipment) like laser rangefinders and night vision equipment. I also think the main gun ammo the Iraqis used in '91 was not the same as what the Soviets used.

Even if the Iraqis in '91 had somehow fielded Abrams, Leos or Challengers, it would not have made much of a difference. Their crews were poorly trained and unmotivated and their C&C was virtually non-existent.