PDA

View Full Version : Cyborg evo Force??

F19_Orheim
04-08-2006, 03:25 AM
I am on the verge of getting a new JS for a reasonable price.. I have the X45 and love the throttle but the JS is horrible. X52, CH or Thrustmaster is out of the question, not within my budget...

I was thinking Cyborg evo Force or the EVO non FF.. but I have CH rudders... can you "lock" the twist on the evos, and IF so, can i get any recommendations?

MadRuski
04-08-2006, 03:33 AM
if u mean by locking the rudder controls then yeah iam pretty sure u can, but through the software not mechinacly, i have a Cyborg Evo none FF and its a great JS

knightflyte
04-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Unless I missed it somewhere on my Saitek Cyborg evo Force..... you can't lock the rudder axis..... not physically anyway.

I haven't found it to be a problem. Sounds like you have the same set up as me. X45... CH peddles.... and the Cyborg evo force.

F19_Orheim
04-08-2006, 03:56 AM
so there will be a "physical twist" but not gamewise?... hmm not sure if I would like a JS that twisted in my hand, even of it has no effect... would make a "wobbly" impression. hmmm gotta think about this. I would love a sturdy simple non twist JS.. I guess the CH would be great, but its too expensive

knightflyte
04-08-2006, 04:07 AM
It's really not so bad. I rarely notice it unless I 'remember' it being a twist stick. It does have a healthy bit of retention so it is pretty solid, and the twisting won't be felt. I actually find the stick very comfortable.

I'd recommend going to a Best Buy... or Comp USA....or your local computer/appliance store to check out a display model.

My Saitek evo was about $70.00 US. I can get a CH fighter stick for about $25.00 more online.

I'm looking to get CH stick in a few months. I don't think my Saitek is as accurate as it was when I first got it. A lot of times when I need a very small input to nail an evading enemy it 'jumps.'

I've messed with dead zones and dead band. It helps a bit, but I really do feel it's getting worse. I've had mine since X MAS 04.

Lightning72
04-08-2006, 04:13 AM
I don't think that you would find the twist to be wobbly. It takes quite a conscious effort to work the rudder twist on an Evo. I think that if you grip the stick tightly enough to cause a "wobbling" then you're probably gripping so tightly that you'll throw off your aim when using the trigger. That is actually one of the things about an Evo that requires a fair bit of practice (feeding in rudder while taking snap or lead shots)

F19_Orheim
04-08-2006, 04:19 AM
hmm maybe I just need to wait awhile.... save some more cash and get the fighterstick.

Looks there is a sellout at at place nearby.

They sell the Combatstick 568 (USB) for 895 SEK (appox 114 $)

The Fighterstick is still way too expensive at 1495 SEK ( approx 190 $)

The Saitek Cyborg Evo Force Feedback sells for 595 SEK (approx 76 $)

MadRuski
04-08-2006, 04:20 AM
i found the rudder works beautifly with the joystick, u juts gotta practice a bit and itl be unnotacable, u might even swith for a change

F19_Orheim
04-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Lightning72:
I don't think that you would find the twist to be wobbly. It takes quite a conscious effort to work the rudder twist on an Evo. I think that if you grip the stick tightly enough to cause a "wobbling" then you're probably gripping so tightly that you'll throw off your aim when using the trigger. That is actually one of the things about an Evo that requires a fair bit of practice (feeding in rudder while taking snap or lead shots)

well I won't be "using" the twist as I have pedals. That is why I would like to "secure" the rudder axis, as one can do on the X52 (if I am not misinformed)

knightflyte
04-08-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't regret getting my Saitek, but for the added money I'd rather have a CH stick now.

Why is there such a difference in price for the CH sticks, Orheim?

The Saitek seems comperable in price, but the CH's are very proportionately different. Almost twice as much.

Jatro13th
04-09-2006, 06:53 AM
I've got the EVO FFB and it has turned out to be a very very good buy. It is very accurate in its movement, the forces are very nice and it has a multitude of buttons from which you can choose your best setting. The rudder is quite stiff so there won't be a problem for you Orheim, I'm sure.
It is also manufactured in a way that it can be used by both left and right handed people. The fact that it is self calibrated is both an advantage and a bit of a nuissance. On the one hand, you never have to calibrate apart from when you plug it in. On the other hand, when you use it in one portion of its movement spectrum, it tends to recalibrate at that position and it gets off centre, but all you have to do is make one big movement all around and its fine again, I never found this to be a problem.

On the downside, the handle is quite bulky, but easily adjustable to your personal needs. Another thing is that the throttle, when the stick gets hot, tends to slide down by itself. This is the only really bad thing about the stick. I've overcome this by placing a piece of thin cardboard between the throttle and the stick.

Overall, I'd say that for the money I spent on it, I got back what I expected. A well behaved piece of machinery which enhanced my sim experience by a large factor!

Cheers

Prop_Strike
04-10-2006, 01:46 AM
I think they're a pretty good joystick.
You can't lock the rudder twist, but I use pedals and I didn't get affected by it.

Mine doesn't twist now, as I have modified it for a longer throw....still works fine...FFB and all. Click the link if you wan't to see what I did. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7881032134

TgD Thunderbolt56
04-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Since the Fighterstick is too much, hold out for the Combatstick. You'll be glad you did. Especially since you already have the pedals.

Heck, if you don't want to wait for the combatstick, get the Flightstick Pro. That's what I use and in conjunction with my throttle and pedals have plenty of buttons.

I had a Fighterstick but just wasn't comfortable making the transition to handling my JS right-handed and felt like I was 'settling' for less. In reality, I'm glad i got what I got. It's simply a great stick with excellent button locations.

TB

Hawgdog
04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
EVO=lightweight garbage.
Do a search (if it will work for you, sometimes the search is cr4p)
Saitek dropped the best stick they ever made, why- who knows
Cyborg Gold 3D. I bought two on Ebay recently, one new in box 9.95, the other slightly used, 24.00
Now I have a backup.
Nice heavy base wont slide like the EVO will (I've had an EVO) The throttle on that EVO is a dragging lump they claim is a "smooth" throttle. pffft I went to a store to see if I got a lemon, they seem to all be like that.
I used epoxy and lead shot to fill the bottom of my now chopped up EVO hoping it would add enough stability to game with only one hand, but nyet-

I have a CH flightstick pro, very nice stick, well made, costly.
The controls on top give my hand cramps after a couple of hours. I think they were designed with folks who have smaller hands. OK, stick...but, costly.
Once you make up your mind, try Ebay. I have bought four or five sticks in the last two, three years, and other than the product, never had a problem with the seller(s)
p.s. I chopped up my EVO for the making of Frankenstick