PDA

View Full Version : Synschronisation?

Osakajoe
04-08-2005, 07:22 AM
What exactly does this do in the graphics options as it's the only one not checked by default?

Thanx

smilinicon
04-08-2005, 07:29 AM
vertical sync.

Osakajoe
04-08-2005, 08:55 AM
Ok'but what is vertical sync?

bweiss
04-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Naht so fast. The synchronization may infact be to synchronize the sound/video/ingame actions taking place with the inset camera. Rome Total War, (RTW), uses the same method to synchronize their low level resolution for battlefield video action with nearly the same option in the game which is for "synchronization". (Makes sure the lil horsees feets is all moving with the right sound, shouting, swords and such all move with the sound synchronized. No one really knows yet cause Ubi ain't explained it. But, here's a clue. It is turned off by default. If it were Vsync, it would likely be turned on by default, elsewise it would conflict with most graphic cards which are set to Vsync "on" by default.

PsychoFritz
04-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure what it is...but in all of the games that I have when I first install V-sync is set to off...and so is almost everything else since most games don't seem to detect the Geforce 6800 correctly yet. Chronicles of Riddick actually has a setting for the 6800 and I've never had a sound/frame rate stuttering problem when the game first starts...all of my other games do that...but anyway...I'm just rambling now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I really haven't seen any problems with the Vsync in the game with the setting on or off. If Vsync is off when, for example, you move the mouse really fast to change views quickly you will see horizontal lines show up in the picture when the view is moving. Turning vsync on will correct that problem. I'm not sure thats what the setting in SH3 does though.

Vampiric666
04-08-2005, 01:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bweiss:
Naht so fast. The synchronization may infact be to synchronize the sound/video/ingame actions taking place with the inset camera. Rome Total War, (RTW), uses the same method to synchronize their low level resolution for battlefield video action with nearly the same option in the game which is for "synchronization". (Makes sure the lil horsees feets is all moving with the right sound, shouting, swords and such all move with the sound synchronized. No one really knows yet cause Ubi ain't explained it. But, here's a clue. It is turned off by default. If it were Vsync, it would likely be turned on by default, elsewise it would conflict with most graphic cards which are set to Vsync "on" by default. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you are wrong . In that game synschronisation means that all models in one unit move at the same time, giving it a less realistic look but more performance. Vertical Sync means that ur grapic card will render a frame only when it is finished. It gives u a better look cause when u turn fast u wont notice any tearing, it also has an impact in ur performance.

bweiss
04-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, then do a confirmation. Since you all are all guessing same as I, and I'm at work so I can't test it.

First, set your monitor Vsync frame rates to an over-ride of your choice in FPS, or confirm it is running at 60 fps in the game. (Most games run at a default 60 fps for monitor Vsync), but I don't know what SH3 is running at or if it also uses an ingame default of 60 FPS). Just so you know exactly what the value is sync'd at on your platform. Then go an try with the option synchronization on, and see what your ingame frame rate is. If it "is" for Vsync, it will not accelerate past your monitor FPS setting then. If it is not for Vsync, then it will run faster than the monitor speed sync. You can use Dxdiag or, depending on your card, your driver setup panel to change the values to overide the Vsync speed.

Providing ofcourse, your platform can run the game at speeds that are faster than the monitor sync.

Wolf52371
04-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I have my monitor set at 60 hz and with synchonization both on and off i can exceed 60fps regularly.

bweiss
04-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Then it ain't for Vsync. Assuming you mean you selected the "synchronization" option in the game, and turned off Vsync on your card. Otherwise, it is your card holding it to 60. Which, is partly why I do not think the synchronization option in the game is Vsync, elsewise, why wouldn't they call it "Vsync", instead of something that would leave all of us guessing?

If it were, then when you selected it in the game it would hold the game to your monitor Vsync settings unless you had override settings in Dxdiag or the graphic card options panel.

Well, I'm saying monitor FPS, but your correct in saying hz. Whatever hz your monitor is set at, when Vsync is selected that is as high as your ingame FPS is going to run, unless you over ride it. When turned off, then the platform can run the game unsynchronized with the monitor.

A.K.Davis
04-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Not sure what the technicalities behind it are, but it prevents graphics "tearing" as you move your viewpoint. I have a couple of 6800s, and turning on synchronization ended my tearing problems and fixed the framerate at a solid 85 fps (down from a much higher, but variable framerate). Framerate holds under all circumstances except when the card conflicts with the particle system, e.g. UZO view.