PDA

View Full Version : PF Multi-Player Questions

Avivion
06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm trying to get a group of friends to come together for a "LAN Game Party" using each of our Pacific Fighter loaded computers that would be linked up via LAN.

As there would probably be quite a number of us, we intend to break into a few small clusters, with each cluster joining a particular "flavour" of online game.

I understand there is a Create New Server feature, but what is the difference between Dogfight and Cooperative? Is it possible to create multiple clusters of different missions all using the same LAN network? Will these cause serious performance issue?

I have never attempted this before and any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Avio

Avivion
06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm trying to get a group of friends to come together for a "LAN Game Party" using each of our Pacific Fighter loaded computers that would be linked up via LAN.

As there would probably be quite a number of us, we intend to break into a few small clusters, with each cluster joining a particular "flavour" of online game.

I understand there is a Create New Server feature, but what is the difference between Dogfight and Cooperative? Is it possible to create multiple clusters of different missions all using the same LAN network? Will these cause serious performance issue?

I have never attempted this before and any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Avio

I_JG78_Max
06-05-2009, 01:49 AM
Basically a COOP is just like a offline single mission but for multiplayers. It differs most from Dogfights, that when the host clicked ready to fly, the mission is locked and no one can join in afterwards until the host quiets it.

A Dogfight on the other hand is open until the server gets shut down. So players can join anytime. In a Dogfight you may respawn after you have been killed but not in a COOP. Another difference is that there are no AI-planes flying in a Dogfight and all groundtargets are static. They shoot at you, but can't move.

I once played IL-2 on a small LAN-Party (about 20 players) and we did a 2vs2 Dogfighttournament. So we had from time to time multiple Dogfighserver running in the same LAN but of course hosted on different PCs. No performance iusses.

III/JG27_Max

Tully__
06-05-2009, 05:17 AM
Bandwidth on a LAN is going to be at least 10Mb/s, this should be fine for up to 40 players or so. If it's a 100Mb/s LAN, you'll have no bandwidth issues.

With the server function built into the game, you can run up to 32 players in a single coop server and at least the same in dogfight. Dogfight may support more but I don't recall the current limits.

With the dedicated server software you can run bigger dogfight missions but it doesn't support coop mode at all. It's available in parts or complete to the latest version at Mission4Today (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=575)

Cooperative Mode

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Cooperative mode is what it sounds like. The host starts the server and loads a mission. Other players join and will be presented with a briefing screen similar to that in single player. The click on the aircraft button to select aircraft to fly from a list of aircraft available in the mission. <LI> Once each player has selected an aircraft and returned to the briefing screen they will see waypoints for the aircraft they've chosen and if the breifing is well written will see instructions for their mission targets. When they're finished with the briefing they click Ready.
<LI> Once all the pilots are ready to go, the host clicks ready then starts the actual mission. At this point no further players can join.
<LI> The players fly the mission as for a single mission, once one side or the other "wins" by completing mission objectives the host ends the mission so that scores are displayed. At this point the host can let the players continue flying in an attempt to land at their home bases, end the mission and shut down the server, or end the mission and load another mission briefing. If the host chooses to end the mission and load another briefing, new players can join the server again.
<LI> Cooperative servers have to be manually administered. You need someone to monitor progress and load new missions each time the current mission is completed. [/list]

Dogfight Mode

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Dogfight mode is a more ad-hoc style of play. The host starts the server and lets it run, players can join and leave at any time.
<LI> Dogfight servers don't support computer controlled moving objects, so there are no AI controlled aircraft, no moving ships and no moving ground objects. AA guns and tank turrets will still track and shoot, but only objects from the stationary objects, stationary armour etc lists will work in the mission. You can try putting moving trucks, cars trains etc in the mission but at best they wont show up and the game manual warns that they may crash the server when used in dogfight mode.
<LI> At any time the host can manually terminate a particular map and load a different scenario to give the players some variety. If the host does not choose to do so, the server will continue to run more or less indefinitely.
<LI> In dogfight mode you can choose to use dedicated server software so that the server machine is not trying to render graphics in addition to managing all the participating players. This enables the server to be run on a machine that otherwise would not be able to do so with adequate performance. The dedicated server software does not run a graphics engine so it doesn't support the host playing in the server. The host will have to run a seperate instance of the game and join the server just like the rest if the host wishes to fly in the server.
<LI> If you choose to use the dedicated server, there are a couple of third party tools you can use to automatically load new missions at periodic intervals or when certain conditions are met. Both FBDaemon and IL2ServerCommander can be downloaded from http://mission4today.com/index...?name=Downloads&c=57 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=57)[/list]

So in short, coop mode is similar to single player missions but multiple players can join it. The server must be manually managed and may suffer a little in performance because it's rendering the game for the benefit of the host. Dogfight mode servers can be left unattended and if you use the dedicated server software can be run on a lower spec machine.

To join a server on a LAN you need to know the IP address of the server. If you're running different servers on different machines each machine will have a unique IP address so there's no issue with conflicts.
If you want to run more than one server instance on the same machine, you'll need to have each instance use a different port to stop addressing conflicts. There's a setting in the game or dedicated server conf.ini to choose which port should be used by the server.
Also, if you want outsiders from the internet to be able to join in, you'll need to set each server up on a different port even if they're running on different machines. This is because you'll need to set up a different port forwarding rule for each server on your router. If you need more information about allowing outsiders to join in, let us know.

Avivion
06-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks so much, folks, for the very detailed info. Will take me sometime to digest these!

Avio