PDA

View Full Version : Voice Buddy VS voice command utility

kSetuni
02-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm about to do some serious hardware upgrades with a CH fighterstick/pro throttle, Track IR 6Dof and while I was at it I was considering adding the voice buddy with the FX headset.

I know there have been a couple threads about voice buddy (trying to dig through the forums for them all) and I was wondering how well the voice buddy worked, compared to the voice utility program that Shift_E released here? I had a bad experience with ms's game voice after alot of people said it worked great, then when I got mine it didnt work as theirs had. Does the voice buddy work as well as the ads say? Is their interface easy to use etc? Can you accomplish the same thing just as easily by using Shift_E's utility?

Also does anyone use the FX headset and is it worth the investment? I fly using TS alot and would want to be able to have the same effects, yet still hear my friends. Is this possible?

Thanks for any feedback so i can make a better decision.

S.M

Shift_E
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowMech73:
Hey everyone,

I'm about to do some serious hardware upgrades with a CH fighterstick/pro throttle, Track IR 6Dof and while I was at it I was considering adding the voice buddy with the FX headset.

I know there have been a couple threads about voice buddy (trying to dig through the forums for them all) and I was wondering how well the voice buddy worked, compared to the voice utility program that Shift_E released here? I had a bad experience with ms's game voice after alot of people said it worked great, then when I got mine it didnt work as theirs had. Does the voice buddy work as well as the ads say? Is their interface easy to use etc? Can you accomplish the same thing just as easily by using Shift_E's utility?

Also does anyone use the FX headset and is it worth the investment? I fly using TS alot and would want to be able to have the same effects, yet still hear my friends. Is this possible?

Thanks for any feedback so i can make a better decision.

S.M <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi ShadowMech73,

I don’t want to influence your decision one way or the other, but VAC is free and if you follow the VAC Tips, spend 10 minutes training and download DDastardlySID’s built profile that you can use in PF right away, you could answer that question yourself.

If VAC doesn’t work for you, just delete the install folder. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Troll2k
02-04-2005, 11:41 AM
try looking here:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=9491029262

papaboon
02-04-2005, 11:50 AM
Our clan uses Ventrilo for communications! It is hosted by our server company at no extra cost!
In my humble opinion it is a very flexible and stable program!
We have used Roger Wilco, Teamspeak, Battlecomm etc... in the past and by far enjoy Ventrilo more!

Troll2k
02-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Papaboon I think you misunderstood the thread.This is not a program for voice comms.It is a program to use your voice to activate buttons on your joystick or keys on your keyboard.Also to give voice commands to AI.

papaboon
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gifYou'll right, my bad!http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

JunkoIfurita
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I'd reccomend VAC. First, to support the community. Second because it works fantastically, no risk.

Third I was using Game Buddy back when it was Game Buddy 2.x - and it was pretty awful then, the voice training was keyed towards only certain types of American accents (I'm Aussie), unlike (gasp, I can't believe I'm saying this) the Microsoft Voice Recognition, which works fine.

Perhaps they've fixed this all in Game Buddy 3.0 onwards, but I just thought I'd add my experiences.

----

DDastardlySID
02-04-2005, 09:10 PM
I'd also thoroughly recommend VAC. So long as you assign at least 2 words to each command, the recognition is almost flawless - very occasionally I have to repeat myself to get a command to register (maybe 1 time in 25) but it's very rare indeed that a command is misinterpreted as another. It really adds to the immersion when you can call for your wingman to cover you, or shout "chocks away!" when launching from a carrier instead of reaching for the keyboard. The ability to set up response sounds for each command is also really cool - for example you can say "nose gunner" to switch to the nose gunner view and then have the program respond "Nose gunner ready" etc. VAC is the best bit of free s/w I've DLd in a long time.
Cheers,
DickDastardly

GvSAP_Wingnut
02-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Voice Buddy uses MS SAPI, as does Shoot 1.6. Don't believe it is the same as Game Buddy (do you mean Game Commander?) Don't know about VAC.

Nothing wrong with trying out VAC and Shoot. They might work for you. I got VB fairly cheap since I got it with TrackIR - and love it. The nice thing about it is it will program all the IL2 keystrokes for you, or you can have it use your own. Either way, you don't have to program VB with all of your IL2 keystrokes; it just pulls them from the config file in your pilot folder. You may do a bit of programming with some of the AI commands, which is where it really comes in handy.

Only issue that I've had with VB so far is that it only works with a default installation, i.e. if you installed IL2/PF on another partition, drive, or directory it doesn't work right. That was a few months ago, don't know if they've fixed it yet.

Bearcat99
02-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Get VAC..... it is free (If you can kick in something to Shift_E even $5 by all means do so it is more than worth it.... ), it is made by a community member and most importantly of all it works. Well. Very well. BTW Nice profile Dasterdly... I am using it... VAC is easy to use, inexpensive and it works extremely well with this sim..... I cant say enough about it.