PDA

View Full Version : Will AI stop using *stupid barrel roll crashing into ground maneuver TM* in PF?

drapis
10-18-2004, 02:02 AM
this maneuver is responsible for at least half of the AI crashing into terrain (at least with bombers) - I've been playing Il-2 campaign and last mission half of my flight wiped itself out with this maneuver.

I remember that in original Il-2, AI used simple "push up" to avoid collision. Seemed rather silly, but at least it worked.

When Il-2 is flying 100 meters above terrain and uses barrel roll that makes it loose 500 meters of altitude ... equals in an Il-2 burried 400 meters deep in the ground....

any info on that?

thx

VW-IceFire
10-18-2004, 09:49 AM
Problem is that the waypoints are set too close to the ground. The AI tries to maintain that altitude...when they can't...they zoom up into the sky and the rest of the wingmen do some crazy manuvers to keep up.

The simple solution is to change the DGEN values for altitude waypoints on IL-2's and Stuka tank busters.

Tater-SW-
10-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah, but this must be fixed in PF, otherwise how would you get skip bombing and parafrag attacks? Mast height and treetop height are a must for PF.

tater

Aztek_Eagle
10-18-2004, 10:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Problem is that the waypoints are set too close to the ground. The AI tries to maintain that altitude...when they can't...they zoom up into the sky and the rest of the wingmen do some crazy manuvers to keep up.

The simple solution is to change the DGEN values for altitude waypoints on IL-2's and Stuka tank busters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

il2s would do their atack runs at 10 metters high :S

owlwatcher
10-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Three steps for better ordance drops while flying 4 plane formation.

Have three way points maintain same speed,height and keep in straight line.
Each way point needs to be in at least 1 full minute apart. Target middle way point.

When selecting type of ordance make sure drop height will not blow up the plane.

If drop height is to low planes will do goofy things.

Keep AI to ace status . Saves alot of work.

Slow down for the attack.

It is alot of trial & error on the mission builder part. Each type of plane has its own working sweet spot.

MooseNoodles
10-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Taken off with the Zero with 1 other each side of me on the carrier, and sometimes, the 2nd one off the ramp will try and follow waypoints and fly's madly all over then dive bomb itself into the sea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So i guess there is still the odd issue floating about. errrm sorry for the punn lol

Tater-SW-
10-18-2004, 03:43 PM
The steps to a good ground attack are useful, but there are some real problems with this if unchanged in PF.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When selecting type of ordance make sure drop height will not blow up the plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This means skip bombing (and possibly parafrags if the AI just looks at bomb size) attacks are impossible. It is almost impossible in AEP to get reliable skip-bombing by AI, and harder than that to get the 2 strafers (B-25G/H) to do it. They act as you suggest, and in addition, you have to set flights of 1 plane to get anything to work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If drop height is to low planes will do goofy things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I have this issue with skip bombing attempts in AEP. It's impossible to have flights of more than 1 plane, the others take off for higher alt if they don't crash outright.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Keep AI to ace status . Saves alot of work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, useful, but also makes the gunners snipers. Something particularly tough vs planes like the zero.

tater