PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions from a Newbie

steffen_GR
05-09-2006, 03:56 AM
Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I am delighted to have stumbled over you guys, I was never into gaming too heavily until I found IL2 and ever since I have been hooked. I recently bought the PC & IL2 Complete DVD and now would like to buy either a new laptop/desktop to fully enjoy the game, the patches and add-ons.
Now my two questions are:
1.) If if get a widescreen screen - will it distort the game or has this issue been rectified?
2.) In what order to i install patches...I am aware that you are meant to start with 3.03 and then move upwards and to be aware of Stand Alone PC vs IL2 FB AEP PC, but what about patches before 3.03? Do these exist, do i need them and where do i find them?

And finally - I know I know I said only two questions, but the 'Over mandchuria' thing...is that out yet? and is it an add-on,like PE2?

I would really appreciate some info on this.

Thank you very much

Steffen

WOLFMondo
05-09-2006, 04:07 AM
If you bought the DVD you don't need any patches. Its patched to 4.04. If you have the gold pack + PF then you'll need to follow the instructions on this link:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4721047273

The Manchuria addon isn't out yet but probably will be fairly soon.

having a widescreen won't distort the resolution AFAIK. You can use custom resolutions by editing the conf.ini file although I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the whole screen. You'll probably get a black border each side.

dbillo
05-09-2006, 06:43 AM
The game is made for 4:3 aspect ratio display. You can run the game at your widescreen resolution without distortion (as WOLFMondo says), however the view will be clipped at the top and bottom to fit. If you want to see the full field of view on a widesreen monitor, you'll have to run a resolution with the vertical res equal to your widescreen vertical res (1050 for example) and the horizontal res equal to 4/3 of that (1400 in this example). You may have to turn of "monitor scaling" in your video driver, or something similar, so that the display doesn't get stretched to the widescreen dimensions. You'll see black bars at the sides of your screen, but you'll have the full field of view that the game provides.

shahram177
05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Hay whats the best video card out there?
I picked up a new Dell a year or so agoe and it has a PCS Express video card.
What would you guys suggest?

MLudner
05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
That question's gonna start a pretty intense debate. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I bought an INVIDIA 7800 and it works great. However, I won't say it's the best because I'm not geek enough to know the answer to that.

vocatx
05-09-2006, 04:58 PM
For some really great advice on spec-ing a new rig, got the the "Community Help" forum (not that you haven't gotten some good answers already). There are some very knowledgeable folks over there that will help you build a great rig for a decent price. You get this from one who has been there...

gotha_g.IV
05-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Get trim on a slider and you'll be a ACE in no time