PDA

View Full Version : A sh2er finally bonds with his sh3 crew.

reumatiib
04-23-2005, 02:19 AM
When I first started this game I really hated my crew and wanted to just flush them out the torpedo tubes. I wanted the robot ships of older sub-games. But over time, now in my 12th patrol of my 2nd career captain (my first career ended in death)I have come to see the worth of my lazy, anti-nazi crew. The reason is simple, after having had to farm these guys, bottle-feed and burp them now for countless hours straight, I about shi* my entire Gastro-Intestinal Tract when it looked like some punk Hunt1 was about to liquidate my entire crew. Four of my men, even one of my 'pets', that I always gave the good jobs - like sonar and radio work - totally went code-red (lost all nerve). It was at that moment, when I saw my 'pet' radio man, who had a renoun of 50 (not bad) suddenly desert his post, that I realized I had indeed bonded with this crew-thing. I had once had high hopes for that lad...however once I returned to port he and his fellow traitors disappeared off my boat never to be seen again. No doubt to vanish in Gestapo headquarters.

These little NPCs do add an extra dimension to battle, not to mention their goofy little screw ups, like when my u-boat submerged once and my watch failed to come in and rode the boat down to 40 meters before I noticed that they were still out there scanning the area with their binoculars, or better yet was the time when their binoculars failed to appear once, and they were all seen standing around with their empty hands cupped to their eyes! They do add a certain amount of comic relief to the battles.

What I really love is the way when I give a command my Chief Engineer has to first answer back: "Yavole herr Kaloin!" before he gives the order that makes the boat do its thing. Here we are about to crash into a ship or a depth charge and he is saying, "Yavole herr Kaloin!" whilst time seems to be almost standing still and I am thinking, there goes another 2 critical seconds down der drain!

So the crew makes for fun fighting in their own little demented way.

con20or
04-23-2005, 03:13 AM
whats this about deserting his post? do they do that??

microdiver
04-23-2005, 03:21 AM
When they turn red it means they're dead not freaked out. (I suppose it's a form of desertion, but not one you get court martialed for.)
If they've got a red outline it means they're wounded and you might be able to save them with a medic.
As for them disappearing from the boat at the end of a cruise, that used to be standard procedure for corpses. Not sure if they still do that in the navy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

quillan
04-23-2005, 09:26 AM
If you're out too long, you might have to eat them.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Corto
04-23-2005, 11:05 AM
May I missed it elseware... but how exactly a medic "heals"? By puting him next to the wounded in bunks? Or, by just be a medic?
Sorry for asking but I'm still in my 1st patrol, (yes, I play at minimum time compression plus I don't have more than 2-3 hours available each night) and I ordered to patrol a remote Atlantic square where even the whales don't bother to piss at. Just want to know when things go hot.

Adddition: Thanks for the responce U-49!!!

U-49
04-23-2005, 11:20 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Corto:
but how exactly a medic "heals"? By puting him next to the wounded in bunks? Or, by just be a medic? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, the wounded crew member simply needs to be in the same station or area as a medic. The medic will automatically attempt to heal his wounded comrade.

reumatiib
04-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Red is dead? Hmm, perhaps, but nothing killed them - they turned red long after the D/C attack, and their health line was still strong. SO how is a man dead when his health is still strong? Only their Morale was zero, and their
Fatigue was high. So how does he die, when nothing new happened to kill him. The Radio man turned red and his part of the boat was not even damaged and he was not involved in the repair work. With strong health and zero Morale, I took it to mean that they chickened out and ran for the hatches.

I have seen crewmen die, but I assumed that these were just

Wolfar777
04-23-2005, 10:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by microdiver:
When they turn red it means they're dead not freaked out. (I suppose it's a form of desertion, but not one you get court martialed for.)
If they've got a red outline it means they're wounded and you might be able to save them with a medic.
As for them disappearing from the boat at the end of a cruise, that used to be standard procedure for corpses. Not sure if they still do that in the navy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG YOUR KILLING ME HERE! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

Daxos1942
04-24-2005, 02:39 AM
If a man is dead, and you right click on him, you can burry him at sea. If a man is wounded, healing only works in the bow or stern quarters with a medic with him. Watch the symbols next to the compartments/stations names, they correspond to the specialties.