PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR, I'm gonna buy one. But what's the difference between TIR 3:Pro/TIR 4:Pro???

BrewsterPilot
08-23-2006, 08:14 AM
So, I'm planning on buying TIR. But what's the big difference between TIR 3Pro and TIR 4Pro?

Thanks! Brewster

BrewsterPilot
08-23-2006, 08:14 AM
So, I'm planning on buying TIR. But what's the big difference between TIR 3Pro and TIR 4Pro?

Thanks! Brewster

Zoom2136
08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Speed and field of view.... go with the 4...

BrewsterPilot
08-23-2006, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zoom2136:
Speed and field of view.... go with the 4... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it's a LOT more expensive! ~80USD more. . . Really worth it?

Divine-Wind
08-23-2006, 10:39 AM
I've only used the TrackIR 4, but it looks as though it's got a nice increase in speed and FOV over the TrackIR 3. Add the vector expansion, and you've got the ultimate headtracker, leaving that clumsy POV hat open for better uses - Such as trim.

However, if you really want to save money, go with the TrackIR 3. But I'd really suggest getting the vector expansion for either model.

Scen
08-23-2006, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zoom2136:
Speed and field of view.... go with the 4... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But it's a LOT more expensive! ~80USD more. . . Really worth it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay in a nutshell.

I've owned a TIR2 TIR3PRO (which I still have) and now the TIR4.

The only real advantage the TIR4 has over the 3 is it has a wider field of view. If you have a normal monitor and position where you sit there isn't any issues with the TIR3. The speed difference is NIL it makes no real world difference. Another difference is the size and the stand for the TIR4 are different. The stand is much better and it works well with flat pannels. The TIR4 is considerable smaller and cooler looking.

So there you have it. I don't see any super duper advantages that justify the 80 bucks. However, Look on some of the different sim websites. I think SIMHQ.com has the TIR4 for $40 bucks less via a banner ad or a coupon. look around. You can get a few bucks off.

Oh and the poster above is right. You get Vector Expansion Automatically with the TIR4 that's part of the cost difference.

If you go with the TIR3pro make sure you get Vector expansion. It's a must even if IL2 doesn't use 6DOF. It makes head movement much more natural and it's well worth it.

I hope that helps

Capt.Stubing

willyvic
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

The TIR3pro with Vector Expansion fits the need very well. It's profile editor will enable you to set it up to your liking. If $ isn't a problem then splurge on the 4 if you'd like. Bottom line: Flying with it is a whole new world.

Here's a link to the differences.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir...duct-comparison.html (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html)

WV.

Worf101
08-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I've used both. I got my Track IR4 in a trade-up with Naturalpoint cause I couldn't get my IR3-Pro to track right. The 4 is smaller, lighter, more compact, designed for LCD's and tracks much better than it's older cousin. I also think it has a higher refresh rate. I'd go for the 4 myself.

Da Worfster