PDA

View Full Version : AA AF doesn't do sh&&t

mrscintilla
04-22-2005, 03:02 AM
pardon my french. I turned on 4x AA and 8x AF, viola framerate dropped to half, but no visible improvement at 1152x864 at 32-bit mode. Is it me or AA/AF are not such eyecandies as people claim them to be?

arcadeace
04-22-2005, 03:56 AM
It may depend on your card. I have a 98Pro and the improvement is remarkable. Try posting in Tech for some very knowledgable help, but be polite http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Vacillator
04-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Yeah I'd agree with Ace. I was going to ask whether you have application preference unchecked, but if your framerate drops as you say after you set the higher aa/af it would seem that the game is applying your aa/af settings. Are you leaving all other settings the same e.g compression in game, vsync?
FWIW I run in Perfect but only 4/4 aa/as (with no compression in game as I think it looks better) and I get fps which are acceptable to me, 30s with vsync on for TIR2. That's with a 9800Pro/XT bios, screen resolution 1280 x 1024.

LEXX_Luthor
04-22-2005, 04:40 AM
It works, but you must look for it.

Load a complex map like Lvov (Normandy map maybe better example ). Fly at 500m altitude and look at horizon. This is what I get using 9800Pro...Perfect Mode...

With no AF, the non forest areas shimmer and river beds shimmer. More AF means less shimmer.

With no AA, the distant hilltops are broken lines. More AA, more unbroken lines.

I use only small amount, 2x at best, as they really don't effect game play, and I prefer framerate and high resolution over all else...although Dot Size is made for 1024x768 only (an old resolution).

One thing AA helps with is making the edge on view of medium range aircraft grafix unbroken. This is nicer than with no AA.

Badsight.
04-22-2005, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrscintilla:
pardon my french. I turned on 4x AA and 8x AF, viola framerate dropped to half, but no visible improvement at 1152x864 at 32-bit mode. Is it me or AA/AF are not such eyecandies as people claim them to be? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>its just you

take a look at the plane in this pic :

http://img189.echo.cx/img189/9057/icu8yg.jpg

i dont run AF , it does little in FB/PF except make the ground appear nicer

AA does a LOT to make the planes in FB/PF look better . i run MAX AA online , & 2x AF or none at all , but no way do my FPS get cut in half , nowhere near

EDIT : remember to enlarge the picture i posted to see it in its proper size

stansdds
04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
I have found that AA does reduce the jagged edges and 4x does have a small hit in frame rates, but it is not that bad. AF helps a little, but is not that noticeable and I don't see where AF 16x reduces frame rates that much.