PDA

View Full Version : Leonardo da Vinci & The Priory of Sion

Murcuseo
07-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm not much of an historian but after reading up on Leonardo da Vinci a little I noticed he was allegedly the Grandmaster of the Priory of Sion between 1510 & 1519. I'm not entirely sure how far the timeline in Brotherhood will go but if you take it for granted that it extends into or surpasses that date then the chances of the Priory of Sion being part of the story is fairly high. I know a lot of people debunked the history of the Priory pre 20th century but if we ignore that and apply the what ifs to a fictional computer game there is endless possibilities.... I think lol

If anyone in the forum has a substantial knowledge of this subject, an over active imagination and some spare time on their hands I'd appreciate some ideas on what that might mean for the storyline of AC:B. Is there any potential incidents that may have happened within the games timeline that would fit into the story and maybe put an exciting spin on things?

I'll try to research some more tomorrow night if I have time.

Feel free to add your 2 cents everyone!!

notafanboy
07-18-2010, 03:47 PM
i think AC:B ends 1507 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

mikeh1294
07-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by notafanboy:
i think AC:B ends 1507 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Isn't one of the videos in 1508?

jimbo11235813
07-18-2010, 04:43 PM
This would make the plot interesting. You may know of the Priory Robson, but I'll just write some info about it for those who don't know. As what I'm about to write was written in the Da Vinci Code, it may be completely wrong. Please correct if so. All of this is from memory of the book.
Before I start, what was said in the Da Vinci Code was actually a myth created by the founder of the organisation, Pierre Plantard, in the 1960's, but it fits in quite well with the story.

[Da Vinci Code spoiler] <span class="ev_code_WHITE">If memory serves, the Priory of the Sion was a secret society which originates back to the time of the crusades with, guess who, the Templar knights. I think they (the knights) said that the they were going to the holy land to claim it (for Christianity), but the truth was to gain information that would ruin the Christian church. Evidence of the descendants of Jesus. This was the Holy Grail, which, although thought to be a cup by most, was really the tomb/grave/remains of Mary Magdalene, the WIFE of Jesus. This is thought to be true as it is uncommon for men at Jesus' age to be unmarried during those times. Anyway, the Templars guarded this secret from others. But the church, who found out that the Templars had this secret, decided to destroy the Templar order, saying that they worshipped satan. But not all were killed, and they went on guarding the secret.</span>

Anyway, if they do include this into the storyline, it will be interesting seeing as the Templars are the ones who founded the Priory and Leo, an enemy of the Templars, being the grandmaster. I think that the [DVC spoiler]<span class="ev_code_WHITE">"Mary is Jesus' wife"</span> is actually the lie and the chalice (Holy Grail) is the truth, but its really one of the Pieces of Eden. As we are playing during 1503 and Leo was grandmaster from 1510, I think that the story will centre around the chalice, and that Leonardo is an insider, as we know in reality that he worked for Cesare Brogia around this time. Leo will then find out about this chalice, and the keeper during this time and the previous Grandmaster of the priory, Sandro Botticelli. Botticelli, once being a follower of the infamous Savonarola (according to Wiki), knew of the power of the Pieces of Eden. Its possible that the Savonarola had the chalice during the times of the Bonfires of the Vanities, but the power was either unknown or the power is a hidden one (maybe extended life to the drinker, IDK). As the PoE is important to the Templars, the Borgia pays Botticelli to join him and to guard the Chalice with his life. When we kill Botticelli and get the Chalice, Leo becomes the new guardian and the Grandmaster of the Priory (which could then be the Brotherhood of assassins).

Better post this before I lose it.

Can't think of anything else. Too tired.

Murcuseo
07-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Cheers for the input jimbo. I have also read The Da Vinci Code but I've chosen to discount what I've learned from it until I can do my own research into what happened regarding the Templars and the Priory. It's true to say what I learn may not be accurate but at least I'll be able to formulate my own opinions rather than taking them from a work of fiction.

In regards to AC:B finishing before the date Leonardo allegedly becomes Grandmaster of the Priory, he would still have been part of the order in the time before he became Grandmaster and I'm prosuming like any position of authority you would have to earn the title over a long period of time, gaining respect and trust. That means that the Priory could easily be part of the storyline from 1499 until 1507 or 1508... whenever you think AC:B may finish.

I have no idea when Leonardo may have joined the Priory to begin with... that's probably the first thing I'll try and find out tomorrow.

Also, I may be imagining things but the Priory symbol seems very fimiliar... has anyone seen it in ACII because I have a feeling I have, or something similar.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8c/Priory_of_Sion_Logo.png

Maybe just the Fleur-de-lis itself...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/H%C3%A9raldique_meuble_Fleur_de_lys_liss%C3%A9e.sv g/250px-H%C3%A9raldique_meuble_Fleur_de_lys_liss%C3%A9e.sv g.png

El_Sjietah
07-19-2010, 04:52 AM
The Priory of Sion was an elaborate hoax, created by some nobleman who wanted to feel important. Quite impressive really, how he forged entire pedigrees to support his claims.

And the Fleur-de-lis was a pretty common symbol back then. Hell, it was all over the French flag.

jimbo11235813
07-19-2010, 05:01 AM
I'll keep an eye out for it, but its a very common symbol so you may have seen it elsewhere. I know that its one of the symbols for scouting. So if you've ever been a cub or scout in the UK (not sure about overseas) and you've been to a campsite for cubs and scouts, then you may have seen the symbol there. Actually come to think of it, I think that you get a badge with the symbol when you join.

About the Priory, I just thought it was interesting that the Botticelli, the grandmaster before Leo, was a follower of Savonarola, and thought it would be a good thing to add to the plot (and I was bored last night). I'm sure that, like AC2, a Piece of Eden will be in the plot, and I thought this would fit quite well. Also, I can't find Botticelli's cause of death anywhere on the net, making it easy for Ubi to get this guy in the plot. This site (http://www.nndb.com/people/734/000084482/) even says its not specified, so you never know.

I must say I'm not a historian (no where near one). Also I'm using wikipedia for my research, the most reliable website in the world(!)

AMuppetMatt
07-19-2010, 11:00 AM
It's the symbol of Florenze, or Florence, and is posted on most of the flags within the city