PDA

View Full Version : Barrel roll manouevers?

SeaFireLIV
11-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Flying Pf in the Corsair against the AI Campaign, I`ve discovered that trying to outturn the more competent zeros in a hectic battle over Midway is mighty tough. So i`ve started desperate barrel-rolling manouevers.

Now online, barrell-rolling worked a treat, the Human player could never quite get a shot at me, because I was never quite where I looked liked I was. I never did this offline because I it always seemed to me that the AI knew exactly where I was all the while.

But I`ve noticed that it works really well against them now! I`ll get a git zero on my six, start barrell-rolling...
tracer will come flying past my wing, my cockpit, but he`s not hitting me! It`s just like when I fly online!

Interestingly, as well as being a difficult manouever to keep up continuously, the AI does appear to correct gradually so eventually the odd shot will begin to hit, so a change is required.

I`m not sure if this is new with PF, but it`s great and really makes the AI feel more Human! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif And evadable! great stuff, Oleg!

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
11-10-2004, 03:24 PM
i still have problems barrelroling at all, can u post a track please ?

Nige_Reconman
11-10-2004, 05:42 PM
I like to barrell roll in the Beaufighter in low level fighting with zekes and oscars works a right treat.

VF-29_Sandman
11-10-2004, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JaBo_HH-BlackSheep:
i still have problems barrelroling at all, can u post a track please ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

think of it as looking at a tipped over barrel. the barrel roll is both an offense/defense manuver. for offense, the roll will cut speed to avoid overshoots, and can also cause a bandit to overshoot as well. contrary to popular belief, it isnt just rolling the wings. is actually a wide horizontal circle.

Nige_Reconman
11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Juat pitch up a little first with a small bank to start it up. The travel as you would a roll where you bank a little like something that rolls along the wall of a horizontal spinning barrell.

Worst explanation ever.

SeaFireLIV
11-11-2004, 03:18 AM
Yea, I know how it works, but I`m not so great explaining it so you`ll understand. I looked at books, saw diagrams, but still didn`t get it until someone (actually a Squad leader)showed me how to do it online!

I do have the track, I was low and had a couple of zeros on my tail and knew I was finished, so I just barrelled rolled like crazy while flying forward. Previous attempts at out-turning always got me shot down. Doing this low was not easy, but the zero kept firing, hit me a couple of times, but to my amazement I actually made it back to friendly ships and they broke off!

I don`t know how to post tracks and I suppose screenshots wouldn`t explain it enough.

geetarman
11-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Pitch up a bit and begin to roll, left or right. Vary the speed of your roll by the extent you push the stick to the right or left. Add a little rudder during your roll to make the plane corkscrew a bit.

Excellent manuever on a bandit closing fast on your six. May cause an overshoot. Good manuever to slow your plane down when you are the one closing too fast on a bandit.

lindyman
11-11-2004, 11:05 PM
It's more vertical than most people think. See it as a loop, where you fail to find the vertical line and travel quite a bit sideways.

I'm not so sure I agree that it's a good way to slow the plane down. Well executed, it doesn't slow you down at all. It does help, however, in avoiding overshooting an enemy, or making a trailing enemy overshoot you, since your flying distance is longer than theirs, yet you maintain the energy and thus control the fight.

It can, if course, be used to slow you down, but it'd give you very poor scores in an aerobatic competition, since you pretty much have to sideslip your way through the manouver. It's not pretty, but it's a rather effective airbrake.
_
/Bjorn.

effte
11-12-2004, 03:37 AM
As for outturning a Zero with a Corsair, no, it won't happen. If you are co-speed and co-altitude, you have put yourself in a very poor spot to begin with. Barrel rolls are probably a good short-term solution. Building speed to get away slightly and then a climbing gentle turn to build up an energy advantage again might save your *** in the longer term.

As for barrell rolls, your longitudinal axis (i e your gunsight) should describe a circle, half under and half above the horizon. Make it a rather wide circle.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
11-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Blacksheep you dissapoint me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
as you are my sort of wingmen ill show you how to do it the next time when we fly together http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JaBo_HH-BlackSheep
11-13-2004, 07:17 AM
ok :-)

JaBo_HH--Gotcha
11-13-2004, 07:34 AM
didn't you recently call him a N00b ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OldMan____
11-14-2004, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by effte:
As for outturning a Zero with a Corsair, no, it won't happen. If you are co-speed and co-altitude, you have put yourself in a very poor spot to begin with. Barrel rolls are probably a good short-term solution. Building speed to get away slightly and then a climbing gentle turn to build up an energy advantage again might save your *** in the longer term.

As for barrell rolls, your longitudinal axis (i e your gunsight) should describe a circle, half under and half above the horizon. Make it a rather wide circle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can outturn a zero in a corsair, just make it well above 40 km/h.. I think 450 will be enough, but you must get your angle in at most a 180 degree turn.. do not keep on it or the zero will recover the lost ground and catch ya.