PDA

View Full Version : Using second joystick for views

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Has anyone ever tried a second joystick as view control.It seems to me that it would work pretty good.Pull back on stick and view moves up and when you let go it centers again.I have this idea of 2 joysticks being the perfect synch between plane control and views.Anyone???

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Has anyone ever tried a second joystick as view control.It seems to me that it would work pretty good.Pull back on stick and view moves up and when you let go it centers again.I have this idea of 2 joysticks being the perfect synch between plane control and views.Anyone???

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 01:01 PM
That's what a joysticks hat switch is for.

http://www.80snostalgia.com/classictv/airwolf/pic1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Both NewView and Joy2Key allow you to set up a joystick to use for controlling your view.

In NewView, go to the URGear Helmet tab, and tick 'enable helmet', then set the joystick device ID number for the joystick you want to use for view control.

In Joy2Key you can set up Mouse emulation on a specific pair of stick axis.

NewView's URGear helmet emulation has user definable response curves and adjustable limits on how far your view control stick can move the view around. You can set it up to 'deaden' small stick movements, and move the view more quickly as you move the stick further away from centre. Joy2Key allows you to set a single, fixed rate at which any stick movement will move the view around - it just emulates the mouse moving in a direction at a certain speed.

NewView's way of doing things is slightly more flexible than Joy2Key's method. But in some circumstances or for some control devices Joy2Key might be a better option.

For example, Joy2Key will allow you to move a gunner stations gun around - and shoot it as well, if you set up a joystick button to send 'mouse1' in Joy2Key. I don't believe you can do the same thing from NewViews URGear panel, though there's nothing stopping you from using both programs at the same time. I use both at the same time myself. You could probably set up a key or button to enable/disable URGear helmet emulation and Joy2Key and you can flick between either ones method of controlling a dedicated 'view stick'. Myself, I have a flightstick with throttle/rudder, and a gamepad with 12 buttons and two analogue sticks on it. I set up the gamepad to use its left analogue stick for URGear and the right for Joy2Key mouse support. I have to use Thrustmapper to emulate keypresses via the Joypad to make it work with NewView, though, since NewView can only bind its function controls to the stick you have set for 'bind joystick to views' support - the URGear Helmet emulation has to be set to a seperate device number.

Certainly it would be nice if Oleg were to implement some functions in the next update, or in the next sim, such as:

* Internal 'view stick' support.

* Support for the same key or button to be bound to more than one function in-game.

* "Toggle" and "hold" button support to allow you to setup controls that will switch between two settings, or perform a function only while a button is held down.

* Various kinds of view support - smooth, snap, snap to absolute, relative positional, etc.

* Different control responses and response curves for view movement from either keys, POV hats, or sticks, etc.

There are a lot of ways of setting these sorts of things up with third party programs, of course. Although I think when you get to a point where you have to use 3 3rd party programs at the same time to make things happen the way you want, FB's defaults could possibly be a bit better.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)