PDA

View Full Version : CH Throttle Quadrant -- worth buying?

The-Good-Guy
09-30-2004, 05:03 AM
Howdy there, ya ol!

I be just 'bout ready to buy me a good 'ol CH 'stick setup, an ar'd be darn pleased if you'd gimme just a bit of advice, like.

Me plan is like this:
1) CH USB Fighter Stick.
2) CH Throttle
3) CH Throttle Quadrant, if it's worth buying.

Wodya ol think 'bout this, then?

Ya know ya 'ave me thanks in advance,

Don't shoot! I'm...
The-Good-Guy

The-Good-Guy
09-30-2004, 05:03 AM
Howdy there, ya ol!

I be just 'bout ready to buy me a good 'ol CH 'stick setup, an ar'd be darn pleased if you'd gimme just a bit of advice, like.

Me plan is like this:
1) CH USB Fighter Stick.
2) CH Throttle
3) CH Throttle Quadrant, if it's worth buying.

Wodya ol think 'bout this, then?

Ya know ya 'ave me thanks in advance,

Don't shoot! I'm...
The-Good-Guy

F19_Orheim
09-30-2004, 06:05 AM
pedals should go before quadrant...

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-30-2004, 06:46 AM
Whet th fook ir ye speekin' ther?

As difficult as it is to read, it would seem to me it's even tougher to try to write phonetically like that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Nonetheless, I'm with Orheim. Get pedals before the Throttle quadrant. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

madsarmy
09-30-2004, 07:17 AM
casunt understand un then, A?

I think he might be from the west country(U.K)

It's the cider you know. Trust me I know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif

Hawk_9th
09-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Well depends on what you plan on flying , I do think the pedals would make a better chiose before the quad. then if you dont fly bombers or multi's alot i would defantly go with tir3 before the quad. I have the x45 setup ch pedals and tir3 pro.Next for me is the quad but I love flying bombers anyway.

RevvinUK
09-30-2004, 07:45 AM
If I were in your shoes then my plan would look something like this:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>CH Fighterstick (or Combatstick)
<LI>CH Pro Pedals
<LI>CH Pro Throttle or Throttle Quadrant
[/list]

The joystick is an obvious one, you need that. Your choice would be dictated as to whether you'd need the extra hat switches on the Fighterstick (you may play jet sims that have more commands than a WWII sim like IL-2) if you only play IL-2 then the Combatstick is a very good choice. The Pro Pedals I feel should also be a ncessity to give better control over your plane so if I were you I'd get those.

Now then the throttle..well again it's a matter of personal preference. The Pro Throttle is a very nice unit indeed and has plenty of options in terms of programmability as does the rest of the CH range, the microstick is handy for view panning or just mouse control. I'm fortunate enough to be testing a Throttle Quadrant for CH at the moment and while I already have a Pro Throttle on my desk I now use the TQ in preference for playing WWII sims like IL-2 as it feels more realistic to have that throttle quad down to my left just as it is in the cockpits of our virtual planes.

While IL-2 does not support individual engine control via separate joystick axis there is a workaround when using the TQ, it's not perfect and may not be viewed by all as a suitable solution but you can map the axis to send characters to you can set the throttle percentage keys in game as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 and the throttle will mimic this and then you map a button to switch from engine 1 to engine two but you need to press this button before you move a lever...sounds a little clunky I know but if you map this engine switching button to your stick then you're pressing a button on one hand and moving a lever with the other so it's not quite as bad as it sounds and workable until the dev team see fit to allow multiple axis for engine control.

There toggle switches also feel a little more realistic along the front of the TQ, much more in keeping with a WWII fighter.

horseback
09-30-2004, 07:51 AM
Since CH doesn't make a twist-rudder stick, you will need pedals before even the Pro Throttle (the sticks do come with a throttle axis).

Unless you can palm a basketball, you might want to consider a Combatstick instead of the Fighterstick (fewer buttons, but it will be much easier to reach the POV hatswitch with the normal human thumb). I have to go with the consensus here on the quadrant; unless you're planning on flying multiengine a/c exclusively, it can wait.

If you are flying just the bombers, the CH Yoke might be a better choice than the stick.

cheers

horseback

PriK
09-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Drop the CH stick and find an MSFFB2. Accuracy and immersion, it's nice to feel where you are flying in the envelope.

The-Good-Guy
09-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Well I do mighty appreciate ol ya advice an' comments.

Actually, I have Simped pedals and Track IR2 already. Sorry f' not mentioning that folks.

I've used the MS Force Feedback Pro ('an I luv it), but it's a friend's, an' I've 'eard that they're no longer available new. Would that be right?

Revin, if uar readin this like, could ya tell me this: Apart from the levers, what other controls does the TQ have? And is it compatible with the CH Manager?

Actually, also: Does the CH Fighterstick use the CH Manager software?

Ar, a gut su many questions. Sorry f' troubling ya ol.

But wat ever ya do, remember:

"Don't shoot! I'm...
The-Good-Guy."

horseback
09-30-2004, 09:46 AM
AFAIK, all CH Products USB controllers will be programmable with CH Manager software, and I can attest that it is handy. The throttle quadrant includes 12 switch positions (six switches, two positions each) to go with the six additional axes. Your base set-up will give you 10+ axes and 60 switch positions before you even think about shifting modes,if you include the quadrant.

Also, the MSFFB joystick was discontinued (with all their controller line) about 18 months ago. The better quality MS joysticks are becoming increasingly rare, although some shops in isolated areas might still have an MSFFB or Sidewinder Precision 2 on the shelves (this is rapidly becoming a sort of urban legend-the WalMart in some small rural Montana community with ten or fifteen MSFFB sticks on the shelf for half off). Otherwise, you can occasionally find one on eBay for a substantial mark-up over the manufacturer's original retail price.

cheers

horseback

RevvinUK
09-30-2004, 09:55 AM
OK here goes.. you have 6 levers each with two detent positions (ie you can map a command to these as if it were a button) you also have 6 two way switches along the front of the unit giving you a further 12 button presses that are mappable in CH Control Manager 3.5.

Control Manager allows for 3 modes per device so basically multiply those buttons by three and if that is not enough for you then each button can have a shifted mode so add another three combinations per button and I think you're pretty much covered for most of the commands in IL-2 and that's just on the Throttle Quadrant nevermind your Fighterstick or Combatstick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif which can also be programmed in Control Manager.

The-Good-Guy
09-30-2004, 11:06 AM
Ah, be thanking ya for yur comments once again.

I think I'll be taking a chance on the Throttle Quadrant instead of the Pro Throttle, as the only game I play is the IL2 line.

Mighty thanks to ya Revvin. It's yar comments that guided towards this thinking. It's just a pity CH doesn't have any force feedback sticks.

Hey yar ol. Don't let me catch yar shootin at me cause I'm...
The-Good-Guy

El Turo
09-30-2004, 12:02 PM
HARRR!!!

AVAST, ye land lubbers!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

nickdanger3
09-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Ahoy me hearties....

While we are (almost) on the topic, which of the Microsoft joysticks is the consensus, or at least majority favorite? Is there a difference in the models?

I have to say that after more than a year with a logitech force feedback stick, I have had absolutely no problems. I might not play as much as some, but probably averages out to 6hrs/wk so I would think that if they were such junk that it would've died by now.

Besides possibly lasting longer than other sticks, what are they advantages of the Microsoft one?

arrrrrrrr

horseback
09-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Nick, you are without a doubt the recipient of a 'happy accident,' a Logitech stick that still works after you've lost the receipt. You might want to buy yourself a Lottery ticket to see if you've used up all your luck.

AFAIK, there are a couple of major types of MS sticks; the Sidewinder Precision Pro (non-FFB) and the MS-FFB, the standard to which other FFB sticks supposedly aspire. There were gameport and USB versions, but the basic design remained the same-twist rudder, a throttle, eight buttons and a POV hat.

I've had no experience with the FFB model, having already acquired a CH Combatstick/Throttle/pedals rig when they announced the discontinuation of the series (and the subsequent short term drop in price), but I had a Precision Pro 2 which held up quite well until my son inherited it (the rest of his inheritance will probably be spent putting him through college, so he better appreciate this heirloom!).

It was very light and precise, but I didn't care much for the way the buttons were distributed (8 + a POV hat), and once I got the CH setup, there was no chance I'd ever go back to a twist stick.

cheers

horseback