PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Time Elapse?

Skyviperr
02-24-2005, 07:21 PM
I just started a dynamic campaign and the first mission has a LOOOOONG first leg. I had it on x8 but it was still taking forever to get anywhere.

So I thought I would try the time elapse. All it did was go to a black screen with a little clock ticking away. After I came out of it a few minutes later I wasn't really any farther along that what x8 would do for me?

Am I not using it right? Or is it just pointless?

P.S. I lost my old IL2 FB manual that probably explains some of this stuff, is there a link to one on the website?

Skyviperr
02-24-2005, 08:11 PM
anybody?

eddiemac0
02-24-2005, 08:57 PM
What is your machine speed like? Sometimes my elapse runs faster than x8 and sometimes slower. If you cycle through the externals of enemy and friendlies (shut your eyes so you don't ruin the realism ;0), you may improve your elapse speed, as well as any stuttering upon interaction with new aircraft at least I am convinced of this, it may just be superstitious bullsh*t).

In any case, i think the elapse time function is great... it means i can do something else as i'm waiting for the mission to fly, and when the screen blinks back to life, I'm flying at normal time, and I can retake control at my leisure.

TAGERT.
02-24-2005, 08:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skyviperr:
I just started a dynamic campaign and the first mission has a LOOOOONG first leg. I had it on x8 but it was still taking forever to get anywhere.

So I thought I would try the time elapse. All it did was go to a black screen with a little clock ticking away. After I came out of it a few minutes later I wasn't really any farther along that what x8 would do for me?

Am I not using it right? Or is it just pointless?

P.S. I lost my old IL2 FB manual that probably explains some of this stuff, is there a link to one on the website? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's so you dont ahve to watch as the autopilot rams your plane into the side of a mountain http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

eddiemac0
02-24-2005, 09:01 PM
yeah, that too... ugh! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

VW-IceFire
02-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Time Elapse is useless in my estimation. They need to work on a method that is alot more efficient to compress time.

ImpStarDuece
02-24-2005, 09:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skyviperr:

P.S. I lost my old IL2 FB manual that probably explains some of this stuff, is there a link to one on the website? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, weren't you the person who also started a discussion headed " Just got PF and having problems" where you claim that:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am having a real hard time completeing a mission. I am flying the US missions i.e. Pearl harbor, midway, tuglsia, etc. I have been flying for a day and have yet to complete a mission.

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">I am a very good pilot in other sims, WWII Online, Aces High, but i can't seem to beat the computer in here funny enough</span>. Like on Pearl in the p40's, am I supposed to be killing all of the EA, or just as much as I can then RTB?

My ACM in this game sux, any time i try to pull a manuver I end up stalling, I recover but by then my E is gone and I can't do ****e agaisnt the zero's <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems strange to me that you are having trouble in PF if you already had FB.

Stranger still is the fact that the original IL2FB never had a time skip function.

But then it could just be my suspicious mind. I get like that sometimes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEXX_Luthor
02-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Classical Time Elapse (or Time Skip) as in instant jump to new point in space can't work in this flight sim unless you are the only plane flying and there are no surface units on the map. Otherwise AMD/Intel must calculate all AI plane and AI surface unit movement and combat. If any AI units are present, the best you can do is accelerate time to a higher time speed, but not infinite time speed the instant jump requires.

If you can run your mission at 2x or greater, you are sacrificing potential huge numbers of AI planes and surface units that can make a realistic frontline battlefield -- frontline is not an easy concept in Pacific though, and the huge Pacific distances are difficult to handle without the arcade concept of Instant Time Skip, also called Time Jump, Space Jump, Space Warp, HyperSpace, ect....time is space, and space is time, when you are moving. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ClnlSandersLite
02-24-2005, 11:04 PM
What it does is do all the ai routines/autopilot without doing all the draw stuff. It's most probably only limited by how fast your machine can handle the calculations. Take a look at the difference in time skip speeds between an empty map with only one plane and a virtual battle field. The gap should be huge.

Skyviperr
02-25-2005, 12:47 AM
Yes I do have fb, but I haven't played it in like a year so I have forgotten just about everything about it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I got PF after seeing it on someone elses sig and wondering why there was allied planes in IL2. So when I get the chance I will get Aces too and merge the three.

Like I said though, is there a place that I can download the manual? I lost mine and it would probably save yal from a lot of my noobish questions.

Troll2k
02-25-2005, 02:39 AM
The manual should be on your cd.

JunkoIfurita
02-25-2005, 06:50 AM
I don't feel too bad for the ol' time lapse function. It's just an idea that was added with the best of intentions but didn't work out - theoretically, it'd make things much faster, but because there are so many calculations to make it's all dependent on the speed of the machine.

Kind of like the PS 3.0 waves - awesome idea, but totally dependent of hardware, making it pretty much useless on current technology.

I can see myself coming back to Pacific Fighters in 5 years time on my Pentium 6 25Ghz processor and thinking 'man, those waves look good. Why didn't I think so before?'.

I've got to laugh to myself though - in all the reviews of the the 6800 I've read, they lament the addition of PS 3.0, because 'nobody is using it yet in their games', when Maddox games has had it implemented for months.

Pity I can't afford a 6800 yet, though.

----

Box-weasel
02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
MS did it right w/ Warp to next waypoint. Mission triggers (BS) were saved until the actual battle point. If I want a black screen I just leave the computer off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Skycat_2
02-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Yesterday, as I was flying a mission over Crimea (in PF merged), I asked myself this very same question: What is the point of time elapse? It didn't seem to make any sense to sit and watch a timer ... until my flight reached the first waypoint and the graphics returned and the game resumed at normal time speed.

It's not a great feature, but it might have its purposes. Also, I think that the speed jumps up to 12x or 16x when in the skip mode. I'm not absolutely certain of that, however.

Skyviper, if you lost the manual don't sweat it too much because most of the information in it is either about how to set up your computer or how to build missions/coops, etc. Most of the information relevant to game play is actually the same text as in the FB manual but with some updated pictures.

Chuck_Older
02-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Well, it sure did help me in making some missions- that timer came in handy for figuring out when enemy flights should arrive at intercept points- or when an enemy flight would intercept a friendly flight

Seems to depend on CPU speed and memory exclusively

mortoma
02-25-2005, 02:10 PM
I tested it on my system and it was slightly better than 8X speed. It came out to about 10.5 to 11X speed for me.

LEXX_Luthor
02-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Chuck is right, accelerated time speed is most useful as a mission development tool...as well as AI and FMB research tool for finding how AI and FMB missions behave, stuff never documented.