PDA

View Full Version : Please add DeviceLink to move view as mouse.

WWMaxGunz
01-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I want to try and make a control that will point the view where the plane is going.
I think that this would make up enormously for the missing 'feel' of the seat, of gravity
and acceleration forces. Such a thing would enhance the whole sim.

WWMaxGunz
01-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I want to try and make a control that will point the view where the plane is going.
I think that this would make up enormously for the missing 'feel' of the seat, of gravity
and acceleration forces. Such a thing would enhance the whole sim.

robban75
01-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Sounds interesting! I'm all for it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Feathered_IV
01-14-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure I understand http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

WWMaxGunz
01-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Can you feel slip IRL? Does you butt and your gut know what forces are acting on you?
Sure your inner ear can fool you but for the most part you have a feel for what direction
you are going and I'd like to have the pilot's eyes point that way. It's how I'd fly, it's
how I ride and run and walk, I look where I am going steadily not I walk slower, my eyes
point higher and I walk faster my eyes point lower (ie; pitch trim and fixed over the dash
angle non-gunsight view). The view would move as you maneuver more G's. You would get
an easily interpretable shift any time your flight becomes uncoordinated and the direction
and amount would tell you how much rudder to use.

That's why.

Feathered_IV
01-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Ah, I get it. So as you pull G's and you are pushed down into your seat, your eyes kind of swivel down too. That sort of thing?

Having your perspective vibrate as the guns fire would be good too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WWMaxGunz
01-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Nothing so tiny about details. Just to be able to see perpendicular to the forces on you.

EDIT: How the view would turn in high G's would depend on how far ahead the eyes would
point. It's not about where the plane is pointing, it's about where the plane is going.
The two cases are different and the whole desire is to be able to see where the plane is
going since the cockpit then gives us the difference, an analog of the feel of the forces.

Flying level -- your eyes look level, not tilted along with your trim at speed. Want to
see the nose of the FW point down? Have this ability and fly FW fast, you will see the
plane fly in nose down attitude because for the first time ever your view will not simply
be tilted downwards along with the nose, the whole plane.

If you get out of coordinated flight, the view would let you know without having to look
at instruments, the ball. Not seeing the ball and no feel is a large cause of poor flying
since 4.x has been out and we don't have what felt like rudder assist.

Go fly for real some time. We need the clue as to forces in the sim.

WWSensei
01-15-2006, 06:28 AM
From Devicelink.txt in the main folder.

4.2. Analogue.

TrackIR
11 set(float,float,float)
Sets the camera turn angles - yaw, pitch, and roll [deg.].
The roll param is ignored.

I think you could accomplish what you want via this method.

Aaron_GT
01-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I remember in an old PC Pilot from a couple of years ago a man who had built a tilting seat set up for flight sims with an upturned bathtub-type affair on top to remove all other visual cues. He tried it with MS flight sims but I am not sure how he cued the system to the sim. Is this the sort of thing you are considering? With a pair of the video goggle things you could avoid the bathtub affair, although how you'd see the keys on your keyboard to type in commands I don't know - voice activation only I suppose.

WWMaxGunz
01-15-2006, 10:17 AM
TKS Sensei, I did look in the file but skipped each part the header didn't seem right
at the time. Yeah, TrackIR 'didn't seem right' I guess.

DOH!

Now I've got to get your improved wrapper and do some learning.

Aaron, I want to change the angles the view is over the dash.

Come to think of it though, I can also make a "view the instruments" button.

WWSensei
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Check the threads Max, I've uploaded the new wrappers.

MrQBerrt
01-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Hey Max, if you ever finish this project, shoot me a PM, I'd be curious as to how well it worked out.

WWMaxGunz
01-27-2006, 05:02 PM
If I can make it work like I want (key toggle-able) and correct then I'll throw the
exe and source up on the web! No guarantee's on the making it work like I want and
that also includes "without degrading framerate badly" as well.

I'm still not done the graphing end of a devicelink log flightpath estimator yet.
Got the graph coming out but still need ability to zoom to a window for closer
inspection and smart curve start shifting functions to get rid of anomalies due to
not all planes flown the same esp in the first few seconds.

BTW, my compiler is Borland C++ Builder 6 Personal.