PDA

View Full Version : ATi CCC Overdrive X1900XT OC Makes Absolutely No Difference to FPS!!!

ytareh
08-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Looks like now is not a good time to invest in a graphics card for hard core IL2 fans.As some have said before this game is obviously very cpu biased .I used the ATi Catalyst Control Center to overclock my X1900XT from 621/720 to 677/780 and got these Black Death Track results.....

x6/x16 AA/AF

Stock 69/137/25
Overclocked 69/137/24

Im using an Opteron 146 at 2.9 right now .Ive eased back on my 3GHz OC for stability right now.
One of the big guys over at DFI Street Forums claims that all the fancy RAM timings /dividers etc have little or no effect on performance that pure CPU speed is what its all about.I get the impression from lots of tweaking that hes right....
So bad news in this post for owners of expensive ram (like mine) and graphics cards.
Unless the ATI CCC isnt actually overclocking the card 'properly'???I used use ATI Tool but found the two were conflicting terribly.....The CCC seems to be better at keeping fan speed up than it used so Im sticking with it ...

ytareh
08-01-2007, 05:33 AM
Looks like now is not a good time to invest in a graphics card for hard core IL2 fans.As some have said before this game is obviously very cpu biased .I used the ATi Catalyst Control Center to overclock my X1900XT from 621/720 to 677/780 and got these Black Death Track results.....

x6/x16 AA/AF

Stock 69/137/25
Overclocked 69/137/24

Im using an Opteron 146 at 2.9 right now .Ive eased back on my 3GHz OC for stability right now.
One of the big guys over at DFI Street Forums claims that all the fancy RAM timings /dividers etc have little or no effect on performance that pure CPU speed is what its all about.I get the impression from lots of tweaking that hes right....
So bad news in this post for owners of expensive ram (like mine) and graphics cards.
Unless the ATI CCC isnt actually overclocking the card 'properly'???I used use ATI Tool but found the two were conflicting terribly.....The CCC seems to be better at keeping fan speed up than it used so Im sticking with it ...

stalkervision
08-01-2007, 06:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:

x6/x16 AA/AF

Stock 69/137/25
Overclocked 69/137/24

Unless the ATI CCC isnt actually overclocking the card 'properly'???I used use ATI Tool but found the two were conflicting terribly.....The CCC seems to be better at keeping fan speed up than it used so Im sticking with it ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

&gt; I find in the ati ccc control panel, setting all the graphics settings to "performance" such as the antalaising and such the other graphics card adjustments make the most difference in getting high FPS.. &lt;

also don't run open Gl. The Microsoft graphics program is much faster IMO...

give these suggestions a try and I bet you get a good boost in performance.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ytareh
08-01-2007, 07:37 AM
I would have thought that using custom settings in the CCC and not choosing Open GL (which the game was designed for) would have been not the best choices....any else do this?What sort of rig you got Stalker and what sort of fps do you get?Eye candy turned down?

ytareh
08-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Direct X x6/x16 47/92/20 BD Track
Direct X and let app decide setting 48/94/22
Open GL and let app decide 69/138/25
Open GL and x6AA 69/137/25

Certainly for the first half of the track DX9 seems to 'even/average out' the fps -no peaks and troughs like OGL -Hits lower minimum in ground attack scene though...

Jagglies are terrible without AA!

Still think I will be sticking with Open GL...

Stew278
08-01-2007, 08:33 AM
How are you getting avg FPS that high? It seems like 69FPS avg on TBD is pretty good.

I have an x1950xt (621/900), 3800+ X2 @2.8GHz, and 2GB GSkill HZ ram in my system. I usually see 32FPS avg on The Black Death. I run 1280x1024, water=2, x6/x16 AA/AF. I don't have Vsync on either.

I don't know about other games, but in IL2 overclocking the card was usually worth only 1 or 2 FPS avg for me.

stalkervision
08-01-2007, 09:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ytareh:
I would have thought that using custom settings in the CCC and not choosing Open GL (which the game was designed for) would have been not the best choices....any else do this?What sort of rig you got Stalker and what sort of fps do you get?Eye candy turned down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found open gl slow down the fps. Don't ask me why? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I have a anthlon dual core 4200 with a 1900 ati gt

A lot of times I get way over 100 fps with eye candy turned down a bit. This goes to 75-80 fps in more intensive graphics action and flying in cities 45.

I find even with eye candy turned down a bit the planes and backgrounds and cockpit look pretty darn good and I just love having those fps.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

stalkervision
08-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Direct X x6/x16 47/92/20 BD Track
Direct X and let app decide setting 48/94/22
Open GL and let app decide 69/138/25
Open GL and x6AA 69/137/25

Certainly for the first half of the track DX9 seems to 'even/average out' the fps -no peaks and troughs like OGL -Hits lower minimum in ground attack scene though...

Jagglies are terrible without AA!

&gt;&gt;use a low AA setting like 4 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif &lt;&lt;

Still think I will be sticking with Open GL... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try to set eveything as low as possibe but not right off on the graphics setting..

stick with the open gl if it doesn't seem to effect performance on your system.

btw overclocking your card will gain you very little performance and just heat it up a lot more.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

stalkervision
08-01-2007, 09:56 AM
btw you may want to look into a good free program to keep your start up applications inline and not have them hog all your cpu resources. I use "WinPatrol" with "scottie the wonder-dog" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Right in windows applications there are programs to do this also btw..

ytareh
08-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Stew I run 1024x768 and not perfect water as I find these allow you to see enemies approaching in the distance far quicker...

R_Target
08-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Black Death is a pretty good workout for the CPU. I was using an X2 3800+ and recently switched to a Core2 6600 and gained a 20% fps increase. Both overclocked, natch. Never saw much gain in Black Death with video OC, although I've seen substantial increases in more video-intensive tracks, and of course in gameplay. Anyway, try some of the other tracks and see what you get.

Also, it's been a while since I've used ATi, but IIRC the "Overdrive" will simply go back to stock speeds if your card starts heating up, which could be happening. Maybe try Rivatuner or ATi tool instead.

PF_Coastie
08-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Some very strange advise being given here. I don't have a lot of time, but I would like to say to be sure to experiment with the Catalyst AI setting in the CCC. This will make a very big difference on various settings. I keep it on the advanced setting.

I run perfect with water=0, 4xAA, 8xAF @ 1024x768 and here are my results:

2007-03-28 20:14:10 - il2fb
Frames: 8160 - Time: 145201ms - Avg: 56.198 - Min: 25 - Max: 132

That is on an Athlon64 3700+ san diego, X850XT and 2 GB ram.