PDA

View Full Version : how well do you see the planes under you when bnz?

raaaid
10-03-2004, 08:10 AM

FI-Aflak
10-03-2004, 09:56 AM
When I'm actually shooting usually I don't see them at all . . . They are under my hood for a few instants of trigger time.

I can usually make out a dot against a blue/white sky at 5 km or so, but no hope of identifying till may .5km or so, unless its huge or has a very distinctive sillouette.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-03-2004, 02:49 PM
dang raid subtlety is not in your vocabulary is it? Thats two bloody troll posts in one day. Nobody biting? Why not go for a hatrick and say the game is biased in favour of allies.

PS this is another reason why I thought they should ditch the poll feature.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Ooops nope my mistake you did make a hatrick didnt you. Maybe if you had used the search button you would have found plenty of post's have been made on this subject and you have just added three more.

Jumoschwanz
10-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Well if everyone did a search for prior posts on subjects then there might not be a reason to ever post here again. I don't mind periodic re-hash for the sake of the newbs, plus with each new patch the graphics and everything else changes too, so we need new posts on old subjects.

As far as seeing targets against the ground after a pass and climb, I found something that works that maybe no one has posted here before.

The little dots we see in this sim from far away do not necessarily look like planes. But through practice I have learned WHAT kind of dots to look for and WHERE they are most likely found under different circumstances. In other words practice does help a lot in my case.

By coincidence earlier today I was practicing. I loaded up a 109E-4 for myself against four SpitMk5. The settings were dead full real, no icons or views or anything. I did keep the speedbar. So I would dodge the first pass off these Spits, which are real tough cookies and very aggressive, and I would go up and end up vertical. Before the stall I would look back for them to set up my shot. And I will tell you it was a b1tch. But the more I did it, the more I learned what to look for, and where to look for them. I switched the enemy over to four late P-51s to alter the enemies behavior a bit. The late P-51s had an easier to spot paintjob and seemingly dumber AI. But practice helped me learn to spot thier specific kind of dots also.
I run 1600x1200 at 32bit, and that is all I set. I never go into advanced and mess with the cards settings on all that ansitropictrillinearmumbojumbo. Maybe it would help more but I am lazy about a lot of things if I think they are good enough.
A lot of folks have trouble spotting planes against the ground but it doesn't bother me. Spotting the enemy was a pain in the a$$ in WWII from what I have read. And if whoever spotted who first usually came out on top. This is represented well on the full real dogfight servers. You have to look around and look hard, or someone is going to see you first and get below and behind you and you are dead!

I was in a server like this once on a summer map, and took pains to get up to 6000 meters alt. carefully so as to stay out of trouble. No matter. I just happened to check my low-six and there was a P-51 climbing and just about in position. The poor b-astard must have put a lot of time and anticipation into the attack, and if I wouldn't have looked where and when I did he would have succeeded. But I still had an alt advantage and shot his a$$ down.

That is my advice raaaid. I am sure the coders will and want to do all they can to improve ours/their graphics. Until then just fly all you can and get psyched up to learn. We all go through discouraging times with this sim. But it kicks a$$ for sure and anything can be done with it. I have not put a scenario together yet in the mission builders I could not learn how to get out of. And I have had fun doing it. Next I will try downing eight Spits in the E-4, then 12 and 16. Then I will switch the enemy to Yak-3s or something else. One can go on forever in this sim. S!

Jumoscwhanz

DangerForward
10-03-2004, 09:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raaaid:
my self before i saw them in 5 km range and now only see them in 500 m range

and i dont know how to get back where i was before <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not really sure when I first see them, but as soon as I do I dive below the enemy so it's against the blue sky, pretty much what Adolf Galland talks about the in the Mike Spick book.

WUAF_Badsight
10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I run 1600x1200 at 32bit, and that is all I set. I never go into advanced and mess with the cards settings on all that ansitropictrillinearmumbojumbo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dude .

your totally missing out then , AA & AF are as easy to set as opening this web-page

they improve the way your game looks ten-fold

raaaid
10-03-2004, 09:58 PM
for those who see them bad try changing the lightning of objects to flat