PDA

View Full Version : Why any Lock On fuss?

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:12 AM
I decided a long time ago that when dealing with any ubi products after FB I would not even bother purchasing them until at least after the first patch comes out. Why is anybody excited about a Lock On release at this point? I am interested in eventually getting the game but I have decided not to be one of Ubi Soft's beta testers anymore. I think that eventually they come up with a good product but it is nice just to bypass the whole testing phase and get the completed work (I did that with the original IL2 and it was very nice because I got the completed version for $20).

Personally I don't even think FB is ready for maximum enjoyment until the next update comes out to fix some of the patch problems. Its getting there and has great potential but its just in the testing process. I simply won't go through that again with Lock On.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:12 AM
I decided a long time ago that when dealing with any ubi products after FB I would not even bother purchasing them until at least after the first patch comes out. Why is anybody excited about a Lock On release at this point? I am interested in eventually getting the game but I have decided not to be one of Ubi Soft's beta testers anymore. I think that eventually they come up with a good product but it is nice just to bypass the whole testing phase and get the completed work (I did that with the original IL2 and it was very nice because I got the completed version for $20).

Personally I don't even think FB is ready for maximum enjoyment until the next update comes out to fix some of the patch problems. Its getting there and has great potential but its just in the testing process. I simply won't go through that again with Lock On.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:46 AM
I really have no interest in personal attacks, but in this case I think Ubi needs to be defended. I have played flight sims since F15 Strike Eagle for the Commadore64 and own almost all flight sims made in the last 5 years.
In all that time I can say Ubi Soft and Maddox games have provided the best by far support of any flight sim ever made. Period. It still amazes me that the head of a flight sim company (Oleg) spends so much time interacting with the community, and responding.
Both IL-2 and Forgotten Battles would both be considered very bug free even without any patches. The only real problematic bug in FB is the dropping of sounds. This is the only serious bug I have. We should all be so lucky that ANY pc game with as much code is released in this good of shape, not to mention the commitment Ubi has made to patching it AND adding FREE content (more planes and features).
The problem is that the sim is so good, that people are starting to expect absolute perfection, or what they consider perfection, of everything especially the flight models. Most of the things people continually complain about these sims would have been a joke to complain about on previous sims.
And to tell you the truth, even if some flight models aren't perfect, that is NOT to be considered a bug. A program bug is something that occurs in a program that is not intended. If Oleg models something in a way he thinks it should be, whether right or wrong, it is not a bug.
If anyone prefers to wait for a game to drop in price and be completely patched, hey more power to you thats a great way to buy things. But to criticize Ubi Soft for their handling of the IL-2, Forgotten Battles series just doesn't make any sense. Both titles WITHOUT any patches or FREE addons would still be considered great flight sim classics.
Just my humble opinion. Thank you Oleg and team and Ubi Soft for your dedication, hard work, and support. Keep up the good work, and I also look forward to buying both Lock On and Battlefield Command RIGHT when they come out just because of Ubi Softs good support.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Spoken like a True Ubi Soft Employee lol..........

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~hcsl/sig.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Sheesh.

Divide the price you paid for the game, by the number of times you've enjoyed playing the thing in spite of the bugs...........

Me? About 13 cents per session.

out

"We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Not to sound like a groveling fanboy of Ubi Soft, I have to agree with Hotdog on this one. Well said!

The whiners on this forum are almost enough to drive a guy away from this game, and certainly enough to drive the designer away fron the forum! It amazes me that Oleg ever bothers to post in his Ready Room any more.

Hotdog is right. Even without the patches, IL-2 and FB are both outstanding sims in their own right and very bug free. The sound is the only major problem with FB as far as I'm concerned. But even if you have other issues with these two sims, you've got to admit that they are WAY far ahead of any flight sim that's come down the pike before them, or since their release.

"we return you now to your regularly scheduled whinning"

"Those people in aviation, who think they know it all, are particularly annoying to those of us who really do" /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:04 AM
I agree that both Il2 and Forgotten Battles were and are great games even without patches. I don't have any real bug or problem with them, not mentioning FM issues I am not able to judge.

The only thing that bothers me are the delays. I get angry when I am told that something (=patch) will be available at certain time and finaly I get it several weeks/months later.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Say what you will but the best enjoyment for Ubi Soft games come after they have had time to work the bugs out.
People are biting at the bit to get Lock On when all I am suggesting is to let the thing come out and be tested for awhile so that when you finally get the game it will be at its best.

FB has a few more bugs than the sound and certainly had quite a few bugs before the patch. Since my contention is to wait until after the first patch to buy a Ubi Soft product any contrary arguments about how the game is "now" are irrelevant.

By the way, I don't care if Ubi Soft has the best support because it is still lousy. If you are a corporate apologist you were never taught how to be a consumer. A consumer has the right to demand quality and good customer service and while Ubi Soft designs some great games their customer service is atrocious.

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 11:43 AM
How many "real world" WWII pilots took part in creation of the FMs of IL-2 and FB? Not many I'd imagine! LOL. LOMAC has a few guys (or more) who have actually flown the aircraft in the game, hence I trust the FMs will be more accurate in LOMAC (that addresses one issue, lol).

LOMAC began as an add-on for Flanker 2.5 but "became" a complete game. Work on "LOMAC" began before UBI was even involved, so why all the complaining about UBI?

How many years has LOMAC been in development? Quite a few and for good reason...more time yields less bugs (in theory...doesn't seem so with FB..go figure).

With regards to the number of flyable aircraft present, LOMAC has much more of a concentrated effort then the IL-2 series has. Where as IL-2/FB has MANY aircraft with screwed up flight models (if they weren't they wouldn't be changed every patch) the LOMAC design team can focus more on the accuracy of a few. IMHO, IL-2/FB tried to do too many things at once. Too many aircraft...too many flight models...not enough concentration.

On the other hand LOMAC is modeling more advanced systems obviously and therefore requires more effort to "get right" I'm sure.

In terms of "bugs" I am willing to bet that LOMAC has very few. LOMAC is one of the most anticipated flight sims in history and "mucho" time is being spent on it. When did IL-2 come out?...and to think LOMAC is still in development!

Does UBI have a great track record in the customer service department? No.....anybody who playes Raven Shield knows that. But you have to remember that LOMAC isn't an "all UBI" game...it never has been.

On a side note, I find it interesting how you actually posted this in the IL-2/FB General Discussion Forum. IL-2/FB and LOMAC have different design teams, different ideas, and are completely different games. There is flying in both...that's where the resemblence ends.

Saying LOMAC will be buggy because FB is buggy based on the fact that both games have UBI involvement is completely ridiculous.

Why don't you wait until LOMAC is actually out before you start passing judgement on its quality.

JG27_Arklight
"Take a look to the sky just before you die, it's the last time you will" -Metallica

Message Edited on 09/02/0303:43AM by JG27_Arklight