PDA

View Full Version : Firefox question on downloading option

blairgowrie
02-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know how I can suppress the download option on Firefox? I also use Get Right and I like the way it records previous downloads. But when I try to download anything Firefox always takes over and bypasses Get Right.

blairgowrie
02-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Does anyone know how I can suppress the download option on Firefox? I also use Get Right and I like the way it records previous downloads. But when I try to download anything Firefox always takes over and bypasses Get Right.

Heavy_Weather
02-13-2005, 08:29 AM
you might try, if you havent already, go into tools/options/downloads and uncheck the download manager, that might help.

Weather_Man
02-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Which version do you have? v5.2a It says it has Firefox support, so it should work. You may have to enable browser integration in the GetRight preferences. General > monitor > more browsers
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows4.html#GetRight

Type in <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">about:plugins</pre> in the firefox address bar and see if there are some options for it there.

If you want to save download history in with the default firefox DL manager, go to tools/options/privacy and select to remove files manually.

TomTom222
02-13-2005, 08:44 AM
As soon as the firefox download starts , stop it then right click on the file in the download window and select properties, copy the url to the clipboard and paste this into your download manager and off you go.
Works with gozilla ok.

blairgowrie
02-13-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Heavy_Weather. I tried your suggestion but it did't seem to work.

Weather_Man. I think I have version 5.2. I'll download 5.2a now and will follow your advice.

And TomTom222. If I can't get it to work after downloading 5.2a, Ill give your tip a try but hopefully the updated software will sort it.

Agamemnon22
02-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Firefox records previous downloads too, eh?

EFG_beber
02-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Use flashgot.

FlashGot is a free Mozilla/Firefox extension, meant to handle single and massive ("all" and "selection") downloads with several external Download Managers (what is a download manager?)

* for Windows (FlashGet, Free Download Manager, GetRight, Internet Download Accelerator, LeechGet, Net Transport, ReGet, Star Downloader and Ukrainian Download Master [Russian language only] )
* for Linux / FreeBSD / other Unix-like OSes (Aria, Downloader 4 X and KDE KGet)
* for Mac OS X (iGetter and Speed Download 2)

https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&version=1.0&id=220&vid=1473

BelaLvgosi
02-13-2005, 10:34 AM
To use getright (and any version or even similiar program, I still use the old and light 4.5) with firefox get an extension called downloadwith.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=203&hl=downloadwith

Click install in the last one in the bottom of the page (the 0.7-1.0).

You'll be able to use it then via 2 options, one is to right click directly in links and click "download with getright", or when you press a link as normal, you'll get the "open", "save to disk" and another option with "download with getright". This option is usefull when you cant use the right click due to scripted download actions where you don't get the link right away.
Cheers!

adlabs6
02-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Since we're on the subject, does anyone know of why Firefox creates those .part files during a download? I know what the files are, I've saved them during a download, loaded them into Gozilla download resume program, and successfully resumed from them.

My question is... why does Firefox make the files? If my dialup drops then Firefox just deletes the .part before I can save it, and I can't find a way in Firefox to resume from the .part files without Gozilla. I just don't see the point unless I'm missing it.

Howie A
02-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I've got the FlashGot 0.5.0 extension and also Disable Targets for Downloads 0.7, they work perfectly with my Getright 5.1. Its automatic full control, just click to install the extensions.

And adlabs, if its become a significant problem I suggest you try Getright or one of the others that integrate, even a partial download will be saved if your connection fails.

zjulik
02-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Note that although there is a multitude of download managers, everyone of which will have you believe they are fastest, many of them come bundled with spyware.
GetRight rocks.

blairgowrie
02-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Finally got it working after getting the extensions. How do other people survive without these Forums!

Thanks fellas and thanks UBI.