PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been able to take an F4U off from a Carrier?

JG51Beolke
12-30-2004, 09:46 AM
I put 2x500lb bombs and 50% fuel. That doesn't sound like an unrealistic loadout to me. I can't take off from a Carrier for nothing. I gun the motor, with Take off flaps, but always wind up in the drink. Is there a secret to this? It wasn't like that in 3.02bm. Any help will be appreciated. I've also tried just 50% fuel and same thing. I wound up in the water along with the rest of my flight. How in the world were the real pilots in WW2 able to take off with Napalm and just in-plane fuel of just 25%.

Best Regards

JG51Beolke
12-30-2004, 09:46 AM
I put 2x500lb bombs and 50% fuel. That doesn't sound like an unrealistic loadout to me. I can't take off from a Carrier for nothing. I gun the motor, with Take off flaps, but always wind up in the drink. Is there a secret to this? It wasn't like that in 3.02bm. Any help will be appreciated. I've also tried just 50% fuel and same thing. I wound up in the water along with the rest of my flight. How in the world were the real pilots in WW2 able to take off with Napalm and just in-plane fuel of just 25%.

Best Regards

actionhank1786
12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Is said Carrier moving?
I think you should be able to get off the deck if you're steaming into the wind, but if you're just sitting then i dont think you've got a good chance (people have been wetting themselves about this since 3.03 came out)

BuzzU
12-30-2004, 10:35 AM
You haven't noticed all the threads on this subject?
It's a problem on CVE carriers, and stationary carriers only.

JG51Beolke
12-30-2004, 11:53 AM
Ahh, Thanks guys. I'll create a missions and give it a try on an Essex class at 30 knots.

Fliger747
12-30-2004, 04:10 PM
It is reasonably accurate (as far as I can tell) when operating of of an Essex with about 25 knots of wind over the deck. That would be a real minimum for most carrier ops of the era.

The lack of wind over the deck is a big minus problem that will probbaly continue to plague the game, especially for those of you who PLAY on line. At 'home', with the carriers steaming at 25-30 knots the ops are fairly decent.

In the real life event, the F4U, and TBF's were usually catapulted off of the CVE's if loaded up for a strike with ordinance. I don't think anyone would try to land an F4U on a static one, or probably even one with only 18 knots over the deck. The Brits in the Med, tried operating Seafires off of CVE's in calm conditions with the little buggers doing flank speed and wiped out about 40% of their aircraft the first day in deck crashes.

Wind, send us wind...a refrain from the days of sail!

Loki-PF
12-30-2004, 04:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fliger747:
It is reasonably accurate (as far as I can tell) when operating of of an Essex with about 25 knots of wind over the deck. That would be a real minimum for most carrier ops of the era.

The lack of wind over the deck is a big minus problem that will probbaly continue to plague the game, especially for those of you who PLAY on line. At 'home', with the carriers steaming at 25-30 knots the ops are fairly decent.

In the real life event, the F4U, and TBF's were usually catapulted off of the CVE's if loaded up for a strike with ordinance. I don't think anyone would try to land an F4U on a static one, or probably even one with only 18 knots over the deck. The Brits in the Med, tried operating Seafires off of CVE's in calm conditions with the little buggers doing flank speed and wiped out about 40% of their aircraft the first day in deck crashes.

Wind, send us wind...a refrain from the days of sail! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fliger747,

Thank you so MUCH! I've asked this question many many times in the various take off threads that have been popping up recently and no one could answer it. I have no problem at all with only being able to take of with ordy from a fast moving carrier, my problem was not being able to take off from a Jeep carrier with NO ordy and only 100% fuel when the lil fella was steaming like mad at flank speed. I really wanted to know if that was acurate historically or not. Sounds like your saying it is. Did all CVE's have cats? Does anyone know when cats where in general use in the fleet by?

Thanks in advance!
loki

Cragger
12-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Catapults back then where chemical charged (gunpowder) and not like steam cats of today (Even though those have issues of their own) Many Battleships, Heavy Cruisers and such had catapults to launch their recon aircraft if they had them.

CVE's where usually built from merchant hulls and 18knots was a good day for them. Its why the FM-2 was developed and continued, it was ideal for the CVE's as it didn't require the higher takeoff speed and landing speed of the F6Fs and F4Us.

IV_JG51_Razor
12-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Crager, all the carriers of the US Navy, back during WWII, had hydraulic catapults on them.

Arm_slinger
12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
I can only JUST get the F4U up with 25% fuel and default load out. That is a staic carrier to.

Landing isnt a problem on statics http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WildeSau
12-31-2004, 07:51 AM
Can someone, step by step tell me who to bring a F-4U in the air (let's say with 50% fuel and 1'500lb of bombs from a moving carrier?

Have tried it yesterday for several times but without success. I even wasn't able to bring it off the deck without any loadout!

Thanks

WildeSau