PDA

View Full Version : Nomad still flies after having elevators rammed off?



cawimmer430
03-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

I was doing a 1 on 1 with a Ki-61 vs a PBD Nomad and during the course of the attack, this happened. I rammed off the elevators and fins. Most planes would go down, but the Nomad just kept on "gliding" gently down. This real? I mean, does this have something to do with the wing design of the Nomad? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

And I don't have track (don't know how to use it).

Also, do the controls of the Ki-61 lock up at around 400 km/h??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5580/pbdnomadcn0.jpg

PBNA-Boosher
03-03-2007, 01:07 PM
You can control your pitch very carefully with throttle settings. Given that the AI is superhuman and automatically knows what settings it needs, I see no problem with this. Ramming is a bit weird in this game. If you do ram something, try to go straight into it with your prop at approximately the same speed. The engine will stop working and you'll survive.

But shouldn't you have shot it instead?

berg417448
03-03-2007, 01:09 PM
I've seen a number of different aircraft suffer similar damage and keep flying while playing this sim. It isn't confined to the PBN. it is just one of those things that happens from time to time.

cawimmer430
03-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
You can control your pitch very carefully with throttle settings. Given that the AI is superhuman and automatically knows what settings it needs, I see no problem with this. Ramming is a bit weird in this game. If you do ram something, try to go straight into it with your prop at approximately the same speed. The engine will stop working and you'll survive.

But shouldn't you have shot it instead?

Thanks. I've noticed how the AI cheats. With bombers, the defensive gunners are all EXPERT SNIPERS and they "always manage" to hit your oil cooler or something - despite you coming down on them at 600 km/h+ or something. It ruins some of the fun of this game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The Ki-61 runs out of ammo pretty quickly and the armament is quite weak too overall. Also, if I take my time aiming, the AI snipers get me.

I actually still had ammo, but I attacked from the rear and decided to do a belly attack. Went into a shallow dive and pulled up maybe 300 meters behind the Nomad but had miscalculated and my right wing was ripped off. Bailed out though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

cawimmer430
03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by berg417448:
I've seen a number of different aircraft suffer similar damage and keep flying while playing this sim. It isn't confined to the PBN. it is just one of those things that happens from time to time.

Yep, same here. I just thought it odd that this plane is still flying despite the lack of elevators. Most planes would go down. I suppose it has something to do with the wing design or perhaps the upward position of their engines and their pulling power???

Damn I sound like a nOOb when it comes to physics. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

DKoor
03-03-2007, 01:22 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/bf109z-elevator.jpg
I flew that 109Z.
Happily in full control after receiving that minor damage.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

cawimmer430
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DKoor:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/DKoor/il2/bf109z-elevator.jpg
I flew that 109Z.
Happily in full control after receiving that minor damage.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HOLY ****! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

But how did you manage stability and climb without elevators? When this happens to me, I have to use take off flaps and play around with the throttle as well as using the ailerons and rudder as best as I can.

TX-EcoDragon
03-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by cawimmer430:
. . . I rammed off the elevators and fins. Most planes would go down, but the Nomad just kept on "gliding" gently down. This real? I mean, does this have something to do with the wing design of the Nomad? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif


No, not real.
Conventionally designed aircraft have pitch stability designed into them by placing the center of lift and center of gravity such that the tail surfaces must generate their lift in a downward direction to maintain level flight. The loss of the horizontal tailplanes would cause an immediate nose down pitching moment that would turn quickly into a tumble. The shift in CG even further forward by the loss of mass on the tail would exacerbate this effect.

Now, if the elevator controls were simply jammed, then yes, the pilot could still control the aircraft to a reduced degree using power to control climbs/descents. Flap positions could be used to lower the nose attitude if needed, and CG shifts could also be used to help "trim" the aircraft in this condition.

It's simply a visual bug in the game. . .

Waldo.Pepper
03-03-2007, 04:42 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/Ss_nomad.jpg

Nomad is all powerful, and needs no tail.

cawimmer430
03-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the infos. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Haigotron
03-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Once I shot down a Nomad, but it slowly drifted down to the ocean surface, the engines were still running and it kept going over the water like a motorboat http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif