PDA

View Full Version : SC:C and non-english countries.

thc_404
04-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Hello all.

I'm hoping that someone can shed a light on this issue I have, so here goes:

I live in France, so most games I buy in stores are sadly enough localized, with no choice to change it to english.
Now, this is pretty annoying as my french isn't too great, and I dislike playing games in any other language than English anyways (original languages ftw).

Now, this begs the question - will ubisoft localize the game in other countries, or will we get a choice in language? Or maybe they'll just release it all over the world in English (hopefully)?
Reason I ask, is because I preordered, but I'ld hate to get stuck with a French game, so if I can get some sort of "confirmation of it being english or not", I can act accordingly (cancel pre-order and just get it from steam, for example).

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Riprie1
04-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Aren't you able to select the language while installing? I think I was able to select language when I installed the last Splinter Cell games and both AC games.

thc_404
04-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Previous games it was indeed possible to install them in english, but it wouldn't be the first developer going for localisations, whereas previous games had an option to choose the language (I'm looking at you, EA).

Just me trying to get a bit of reassurance, since i'd hate to bring a copy home and then see that it's in french.

Thanks for the response tho, let's just hope Ubi doesn't get it in his head to localize their games. :P

Dellers
04-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I had huge problems understanding what the hell to do in Assassin's Creed 2, due to the fact that all written text was in Norwegian...I'm Norwegian, but when used to AC1 (it was 100% English), plus all the dialogue was in English, it was really confusing. Anyway, why the HELL would anyone want Splinter Cell without Michael Ironside? It looks like French, German and Italian people always have things dubbed, whether it's a PC game or a movie, and it sucks big time...So glad dubbing here is limited to cartoons and Disney Channel...Ain't nothing more disturbing than sucky voice actors with no sense of timing (which is ALWAYS the case with these countries' dubbing)

thc_404
04-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Dellers:
I had huge problems understanding what the hell to do in Assassin's Creed 2, due to the fact that all written text was in Norwegian...I'm Norwegian, but when used to AC1 (it was 100% English), plus all the dialogue was in English, it was really confusing. Anyway, why the HELL would anyone want Splinter Cell without Michael Ironside? It looks like French, German and Italian people always have things dubbed, whether it's a PC game or a movie, and it sucks big time...So glad dubbing here is limited to cartoons and Disney Channel...Ain't nothing more disturbing than sucky voice actors with no sense of timing (which is ALWAYS the case with these countries' dubbing)

Exactly, and that's why they still should give people a choice really.
With movies I at least can see on the back what languages they are in (on dvd), and most of them are in original language, thank god.

Shouldn't be too hard, that if they localize a game (or dub it, might be easier to understand for some this way), that they put the original English files on the net to download, so we can at least choose which way we play... Valve gives you an option to, hell, even Lionhead did it with B&W1, and that was a few years ago, I don't see what the big issue is about, I gladly sit through a days download to play my games in the language they are intended to be played...

But I guess I'll find out when I get my game from pre-order on the 29th or so... unless of course, someone a bit more official comes in and sheds a light on this question.

soron
04-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Non English countries don't mater, just ask UBI. UBI only cares about English speaking people with a good internet connection or an Xbox360...

Versus-Mroj
04-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by soron:
Non English countries don't mater, just ask UBI. UBI only cares about English speaking people with a good internet connection or an Xbox360...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

thc_404
04-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by soron:

In this particular case, I hope you're right.

If you aren't, I'll make sure to come back to rub your total misappropiation of a company in your face. :P

Riprie1
04-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by thc_404:
Just me trying to get a bit of reassurance, since i'd hate to bring a copy home and then see that it's in french.

Don't worry, you can check the back of the DVD case. It usually says in what language the game will have. It's like that here in Estonia at least.