PDA

View Full Version : 3-D, VOICE BUDDY, "FORCE FEEDBACK EARPHONES"

leitmotiv
02-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I am using TrackIR very successfully. Decided to buy the eDimensional gear: 3-D glasses, Voice Buddy, and the force feedback headphones and try them out. The glasses gave a laughably slight impression of 3-D, and they instantly converted a noon situation into early evening due to their dark lenses. Detail at distance wiped out. The opposition could not be detected until at about 300 meters. Made for some ridiculous play in which you were desperately searching for people shooting at you and you could not see them at high noon! My I-16 wallpaper showed through in the background. As far as I am concerned, I get more of an "immersion" sensation by wearing reproduction R.A.F. goggles! Voice Buddy was no friend. It blitzed PAC FIGHTERS---no longer could use it, despite claim it was compatible. Tried to download patch for PAC FIGHTERS and only got "Not Found." Tried to use it with AEP. Partial success, but when bugs started accumulating, not the least of which was the inability to use Smolensk, that was it---terminated with extreme prejudice! The "force feedback headphones" simply produced an incredibly annoying rasping-grinding background noise at all times unless turned down to the point of being useless. I did get an enhanced "rumble effect" when I fired my guns or "received fire," but the overall sound quality was markedly inferior to my faithful Zalman headphones. Last year I "enjoyed" a particularly fun month after loading Matrix Games OPERATION BARBAROSSA. It blew the brains out of AEP, and I and the ingenious Jeff Del Vecchio of Predator Gaming Systems spent weeks fixing the mess OP BARB made of my computer. I just love ad-ons! Has anybody enjoyed success with these eDimensional items? Sincerely,**** Glad PAC FIGHTERS Wasn't Totaled

No601_prangster
02-19-2005, 11:50 AM
TrackIR is great wouln't fly without it but it is made by Naturalpoint and eDimmention are only a resller as far as I'm aware.

I bought the 3D glasses from eDimmention but found out they would only work correctly with Nvidia cards and mine was an ATI. Sent them back and eventually got a partial refund after they deducted their 'restocking' fee. Wouldn't buy Voice Buddy when I can get Shoot 1.6 (http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/) for free. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Operation Barbarossa was fun but I think you need the update to run it with AEP. Got Fall Blue and Battle over Europe like you I just can't stop buying add-ons.

Prangsters Mossie Page (http://www.ijeremiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mossie/mossie.htm)

leitmotiv
02-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the Shoot 1.6 tip, prangster. I have an ATI card---you solved the mystery. I tried to get some useful technical feedback from eDimensional and only got the old run around. I could never get OP BARB to function---it utterly screwed up my computer. The technical fiddling to restore it to good health was a MASSIVE headache. TrackIR was a bit recalcitrant at first. Now it is a marvelous aid. It does have an annoying habit of refusing to allow me to rotate POV to left rear sometimes (usually in the midst of a massive brawl when I HAVE to have that view). I can sometimes force it to give me that angle by repeatedly moving my head in that direction, but, usually, I have to mash F12 and lose my target. Also, it very occasionally abruptly looks down at my seat pan and won't look up, again, usually in a situation when I am frequently changing POV. Have any cures for these anomalies?

madsarmy
02-19-2005, 12:47 PM
I have no problem with the Force feedback headphones. work a treat for me & sound quality is more than ok.

Hoatee
02-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Sad story about the 3d glasses. Was thinking about getting them. I have an ATI card anyways.

2 (or are they really that) bad (?).

T_O_A_D
02-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Track Ir is well worth the money.

I had trouble with shoot so now I'm using this http://mysite.verizon.net/res19wz2/VAC/index.htm It worked great and free aswell.

I have those headphones and had the same trouble as you speak of. I had to get a PCI usb card to fix the problem. I needed more ports anyways.

CPS_Shadow
02-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Voice Buddy was useless wouldn't bother buying it. I found there tech support insulting. They kept on blamming TS and Ventrilo for why there software wouldn't work with those programs. I finnally had to figure out for myself that the problem was that it wasn't going to work under Win 2k.

Headphones are ok but they make my ears a bit too warm.

Love my Track IR, but as has been already pointed out that is not an eDimensional product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It does have an annoying habit of refusing to allow me to rotate POV to left rear sometimes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I get that sometimes too, and I think it's a bit of lag. Havent's seen it on my newer vid card.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>occasionally abruptly looks down at my seat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like it's picking up a second target. Look for it in the little screen under tracking in the Track IR config. Can be a cigarette if you smoke. Or a reflection of outside light.

JunkoIfurita
02-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I had the 'force feedback' headphones, too.

The force feedback wasn't exactly stunning, but what really got me was the 'hum' effect I got at all times using the headphones, and the effect became almost unbearable once ffb was switched on. Also, the microphone connections broke within a month of ordinary use, so I couldn't use it for voice anymore.

Bloody awful product - when I tried to return it for a refund/exchange they gave me the run-around and then wouldn't answer my emails again. I can't speak for TrackIR (as people said, a different company), but I wouldn't trust anything eDimensional designed.

If you get the 'lag' problem with Shoot 1.6 (which you probably will...its been abandoned by its developers) change to VAC. Nice software, a GUI for profile creation (You had to edit an XML document to add/change commands in Shoot), and its created by a community member.

Cheers,
Junko 'Kimura' Ifurita

----

Saunders1953
02-19-2005, 11:37 PM
I literally just installed Shift_E's VAC system this morning and modified/trained an existing profile. It really works GREAT, pretty easy to set up, too. I took the time last week to train my computer to recognize my speech using Windows' Speech program, and I think it helped set up go so well. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Flakenstien
02-20-2005, 04:49 AM
Absolutly get VAC!!!!!!!
Amazing piece of work http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

seetheflash
02-21-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the headset or voice buddy. I love mine. If they are defective, why not just get them replaced? they are under warranty, right? Voice Buddy had some issues with PF when it first came out, but now works great. easier to use than vac, although you're paying for it. i hear there is an update for voice buddy due this week or so, not sure what's included.