PDA

View Full Version : Altair's Abilities in Revelations

Hayabusa Sushi
08-02-2011, 11:50 PM
As we all know, Ezio had many more abilities when compared to Altair. Even before he became an Assassin, Ezio could climb faster and perform many more acrobatic moves (such as swinging on hanging pot-plants).
In Revelations, will Ubisoft give Altair the same talents as Ezio? Or will we have to go back to slow climbing and basic moves in every Altair sequence?

Jakob4242
08-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Altair is just as capable if not more so than Ezio. Ezio couldn't climb faster than Altair until he first went to Vince and learned how to climb from Rosa.

There's nothing to say that Altair is not able to swing around corners, he just never had any corners to swing around. Altair could also vault over objects, something I wish was back in the game.

But I imagine the two of them will be fairly similar. Altair might be restricted some moves, perhaps in his early days, but after that he will be a Master Assassin and equal to Ezio. I doubt Ubisoft will differentiate up their gameplay for the two of them.

Jexx21
08-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Actually, the climbing in AC2 and ACB was faster than in AC1.

Altiar might be amped up, but he might also not be because he just wasn't that great of a climber.

reini03
08-03-2011, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Jakob4242:
Ezio couldn't climb faster than Altair until he first went to Vince and learned how to climb from Rosa.

He could. Have you ever tried holding the high profile button while climbing? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

SixKeys
08-03-2011, 05:18 PM
In Desmond's dream sequence in AC (caused by the bleeding effect), Alta´r is still a slow climber. I don't know how old he was at that point, but it was about 9 months before he and Maria had their first child. If Alta´r can climb fast in Revelations, he must have learned that skill at an older age.

Hayabusa Sushi
08-04-2011, 02:30 AM
What about Altair's infamous inability to swim? In the dream sequence in AC2, Altair died when he hit water. Hopefully, Ubisoft won't make all Altair sequences linear in areas without water. I want to see Altair with the same climbing, acrobatic and swimming abilities as Ezio.

AC-FANBOY
08-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by MagnifyHope:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jakob4242:
Ezio couldn't climb faster than Altair until he first went to Vince and learned how to climb from Rosa.

He could. Have you ever tried holding the high profile button while climbing? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I've tried it as well. It's slower.

LightRey
08-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by AC-FANBOY:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MagnifyHope:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jakob4242:

He could. Have you ever tried holding the high profile button while climbing? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, I've tried it as well. It's slower. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's most definitely not. I played AC1, AC2 and ACB right after each other last month and Ezio is most definitely much faster than Alta´r.

Shababa2011
08-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by haloblivion:
What about Altair's infamous inability to swim? In the dream sequence in AC2, Altair died when he hit water. Hopefully, Ubisoft won't make all Altair sequences linear in areas without water. I want to see Altair with the same climbing, acrobatic and swimming abilities as Ezio.

Alta´r could swim.. it was a bug in the animus that caused you to desynchronize when hitting water. go look in the AC2 journal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

albertwesker22
08-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Shababa2011:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by haloblivion:

Alta´r could swim.. it was a bug in the animus that caused you to desynchronize when hitting water. go look in the AC2 journal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Altair not being able to swim, gave him character lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

notafanboy
08-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by haloblivion:
Darby mcdevit confirmed that altair will be able to swim

naran6142
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Im pretty sure that Altair will just sorta be a skin over ezio and do all the same moves and tricks (maybe not in his earlier years). Maybe ubi will prove me wrong

zerocooll21
08-04-2011, 08:25 AM
The platform of the game has gotten better with time/refinement thats the only reason it seems that altiar wasn't on the same level.

LightRey
08-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by zerocooll21:
The platform of the game has gotten better with time/refinement thats the only reason it seems that altiar wasn't on the same level.
That's not true. In the one memory of Alta´r in ACII (outside of the animus, due to the bleeding effect) Alta´r was still as slow as he was in AC1.

zerocooll21
08-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zerocooll21:
That's not true. In the one memory of Alta´r in ACII (outside of the animus, due to the bleeding effect) Alta´r was still as slow as he was in AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, I'd have to replay the both to see. I think is one of those "its a video game" topic and not some grand scheme mystery of the AC universe. Okay maybe not grand scheme mystery but you get what I'm saying.

rileypoole1234
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I kind of hope they make him be exactly the same as in AC1. I would make it seem, oh how do I put this, more real?

albertwesker22
08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zerocooll21:
That's not true. In the one memory of Alta´r in ACII (outside of the animus, due to the bleeding effect) Alta´r was still as slow as he was in AC1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But doesn't Desmond climb like Ezio in AC 2, only to climb like Altair in ACB?

I am 100% certain that Altair will climb as fast as Ezio in AC R.

LightRey
08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by albertwesker22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LightRey:

But doesn't Desmond climb like Ezio in AC 2, only to climb like Altair in ACB?

I am 100% certain that Altair will climb as fast as Ezio in AC R. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's true. I wonder why they did that.

masterfenix2009
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
I kind of hope they make him be exactly the same as in AC1. I would make it seem, oh how do I put this, more real? so you think it is real that Altair can't swim?

itsamea-mario
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
What kind of master assassin who would need to be able to infiltrate all sorts of places, wouldn't know how to swim.

Also it depends if we get the chance to swim.

E-Zekiel
08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jakob4242:
Altair is just as capable if not more so than Ezio. Ezio couldn't climb faster than Altair until he first went to Vince and learned how to climb from Rosa.

There's nothing to say that Altair is not able to swing around corners, he just never had any corners to swing around. Altair could also vault over objects, something I wish was back in the game.

But I imagine the two of them will be fairly similar. Altair might be restricted some moves, perhaps in his early days, but after that he will be a Master Assassin and equal to Ezio. I doubt Ubisoft will differentiate up their gameplay for the two of them.

Climbing was the only thing I could see Ezio possibly being actually better at than Alta´r. Combat was purely a game-to-game difference, not a difference between characters. I believe Alta´r would be just as good, albeit more discreet, as Ezio combat wise. Alta´r ran faster, and I honestly think he would have been a better combatant, as he was trained for much longer.

Don't get me wrong, Ezio is good, but I feel Alta´r would be better, except perhaps in climbing.

itsamea-mario
08-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Also remember Altair is only 25 throughout AC1, so there's plenty of room for improvement.

AnthonyA85
08-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Well, climing and swimming aside, I hope they stick with the Third-person Eagle Vision for the Altair segments.

I hated the FPS style Eagle Vision in AC1, it was so horribly limiting, I've only ever used it two or three times while playing AC1, and that was mainly during the last fight with Al Mualim.

Hopefully though, Altair will have a more varied style of fighting, like Ezio.

On a slightly off-topic note, I hope we get to see Altair wear the Armor he makes using the knowledge he got from the apple.

Assassin61484
08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
From reading the novels, the info in the strategy guides and playing the games, I've noticed one big difference b/w Altair and Ezio. In the novel with Altair, late in life, he had stepped away from combat and thus his skills were diminished, whereas Ezio is constantly keepin up with training. Not that this will have an impact in the game, but I thought it was interesting to learn how different they are at the same age in their times, at the level of Grand Master.

zerocooll21
08-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Just had a thought. What if instead of a TOWCB communicating to desmond at the end, we see Altair communicating to desmond. He looked into the future with the apple (codex page) so its possible he knew.

LightRey
08-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Just had a thought. What if instead of a TOWCB communicating to desmond at the end, we see Altair communicating to desmond. He looked into the future with the apple (codex page) so its possible he knew.
He didn't actually look into the future. The apple was able to use statistics to determine a (very) likely future.

zerocooll21
08-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Right so if its the very likely future couldn't he have seen more? Where did it say it use statistics? I know you're right I just can't remember where lol.

LightRey
08-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Right so if its the very likely future couldn't he have seen more? Where did it say it use statistics? I know you're right I just can't remember where lol.
Well, I'm not entirely sure of it tbh. Someone on the forum said that it was confirmed information. I am inclined to believe it though.
I do like the idea of all of them (Alta´r, Ezio and Desmond) communicating with each other like that. It would be quite awesome just to see them go "WTF!?" like that.

twenty_glyphs
08-06-2011, 04:40 PM
They have never even hinted at how the Apple or TWCB can predict the future in any of the canon sources. It could be advanced mathematics, but even then I have a problem of how math can predict choices that people will make. On top of that, to use some formula to predict the future would mean you would have to know almost everything there is to know about the present, which is also extremely unlikely. Minerva said her people were "more... advanced in time." Maybe the Sixth Sense helps them actually see through time and gain glimpses of the future.

As for Alta´r's abilities, wasn't his Eagle Vision in Desmond's dream from AC2 in third person just like Ezio's? Desmond's Eagle Vision also went from first person in the first game to third person in the next two. I really doubt they would downgrade that back to first person.

That's a good point about Alta´r not seeming as committed to physically training so much later in his life. We also know more about his later years than Ezio at this point, so his abilities could have stayed on par with Ezio's through his early 50s, which is where Ezio will be in Revelations.

roostersrule2
08-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
They have never even hinted at how the Apple or TWCB can predict the future in any of the canon sources. It could be advanced mathematics, but even then I have a problem of how math can predict choices that people will make. On top of that, to use some formula to predict the future would mean you would have to know almost everything there is to know about the present, which is also extremely unlikely. Minerva said her people were "more... advanced in time." Maybe the Sixth Sense helps them actually see through time and gain glimpses of the future.

As for Alta´r's abilities, wasn't his Eagle Vision in Desmond's dream from AC2 in third person just like Ezio's? Desmond's Eagle Vision also went from first person in the first game to third person in the next two. I really doubt they would downgrade that back to first person.

That's a good point about Alta´r not seeming as committed to physically training so much later in his life. We also know more about his later years than Ezio at this point, so his abilities could have stayed on par with Ezio's through his early 50s, which is where Ezio will be in Revelations. i think its just altairs and ezios different abilities

Sparty2020
08-08-2011, 08:40 AM
lol some people need to replay AC1. I'm replaying the entire AC series for the first time in months and I find myself extremely frustrated with AC1. Some of the frustration stems from gameplay mechanics, basically armed combat and the swimming, but alot also comes from Altairs own weaknesses. Like his slow climbing, his difficulty in pickpocketing, and his lack of skill in unarmed combat.

Alot of people of these forums claim that Altair is superior to Ezio. I recommend they replay AC1 and then AC2 before coming to the conclusion.

As for the topic itself, despite my frustrations with AC1 they should still reuse both Altair's strengths and weaknesses, at least until after 1191. It'd be wierd to see Altair in 1190 performing Chain Kills, seamlessly blending, and flying like an eagle up a building

dxsxhxcx
08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

I believe the Eagle Vision was in first person in AC1 because Desmond didn't had his own eagle vision at that time (he only obtain it at the end of the game), so he was using Altair's Eagle Vision and seeing through his (Altair) eyes...

LightRey
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:

I believe the Eagle Vision was in first person in AC1 because Desmond didn't had his own eagle vision at that time (he only obtain it at the end of the game), so he was using Altair's Eagle Vision and seeing through his (Altair) eyes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think it's simply a change in game mechanics. I don't think it has anything to do with the story itself.

rileypoole1234
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I kind of hope they make him be exactly the same as in AC1. I would make it seem, oh how do I put this, more real?

Right. I didn't think anybody back then could swim actually. But whatever.

LightRey
08-08-2011, 04:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rileypoole1234:

Right. I didn't think anybody back then could swim actually. But whatever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They most certainly could. It's not really that hard to learn to swim really and it was quite common to learn to swim at a young age in many cultures, mostly seafaring cultures of course.

zerocooll21
08-08-2011, 04:37 PM
lol I really hope he was joking.

NewBlade200
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Ezio spent most his life on different missions, so he was constantly improving. Altair acted as leader and teacher of the assassin order between mission, so he wouldn't have been focusing on training as much (and he spent more time sneaking than fighting). It was never determined what the peak of Altair's abilities were. The only way to find out is to watch Revs.

OT: He'll have the same abilities as Ezio if they're lazy, or he'll have the same as AC1 if they feel like being ''unique'' or ''cinematic''. Alternatively they could have slow climbing but with the migraine-inducing combat from ACB.

twenty_glyphs
08-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't want them to keep Alta´r's abilities the same just to match the first game. I don't assume that Ezio was a better athlete just because the game mechanics got better over time. That's just the consequence of making more games and refining them. I don't want Alta´r to be identical to Ezio and I highly doubt he'll have the hook blade, but I certainly don't want them keeping him from climbing faster just because the first game showed him climbing slower.

As a side note, I hope that Eagle Vision is actually usable in Revelations. The dark blue tint to the world was perfect in AC2, but then in Brotherhood they made it so dark that you almost can't see anything except highlighted objects. The only exception is when something is lit by torches or lanterns it's actually visible. That makes for some ridiculous things, like being able to see non-highlighted things clearly at night in Eagle Vision if they're lit by some artificial light, but not being able to see the same thing at all during the day despite it being in sunlight. It's like they were trying to make Eagle Vision show even less in the world so you wouldn't just keep it on, like Detective Vision in Arkham Asylum. I didn't know that was even a problem, but it certainly turned into a different problem.